OHV issues, state wide and Borrego/Ocotillo Wells

It could be said this belongs in the land use forum but it is of particular concern to California.

First is Borrego / Ocotillo Wells.

There is going to be a symposium in Borrego springs on Friday the 26th regarding the Flat Tailed Horned Lizard.

I believe that the groups that have been trying to get this lizard declared a endangered species and use the declaration to close down off roading in the area will be in attendance. Would be good if anyone concerned could attend and learn what these groups are. Here is the flier from the Anza Borrego Foundation

http://www.theabf.org/sites/default/files/sites/default/files/final_4-10-17_flat_tailed_horned_lizard_flyer.jpg

Next issue is state wide concern. Currently several of the states OHV parks allow "RED" sticker vehicles to be riding during certain times of the year. The California Air Resources Board is proposing to ban this practice. Your RED sticker bike would be limited to MX tracks only.

Please contact CARB and your state legislator to oppose this rule change.

• Like 1

Death by a thousand cuts...  the greenie weenies have more patience than me.  I moved to AZ.  Just easier that way.  

Make CALIFORNIA GREAT AGAIN...  move to another state.  When no one is left but Jerry Brown...  the CA State Assembly... and their Illegal Immigrant Voters, who the farmers gonna sell watermelons to ?

I would love to see the CNN video of Jerry Brown hiding in the Gov Mansion with a couple million Mexicans outside yelling...  "WHAT NOW MISSER BROWN !"

Jeff,
Ya the wife and I have been looking for retirement property in the Vail area.
Retirement can't come soon enough.
Be watchful over there also. Found out when looking at OHV regulations that in the Phoenix area they shut down all off-road activities during certain periods to mitigate "high dust concentrations in the area.

We split our time...  still love CA...  just made myself mostly immune to the politics of it all.  AZ has their crazies too. :usa: 

• Like 1

Death by a thousand cuts...  the greenie weenies have more patience than me.  I moved to AZ.  Just easier that way.  
Make CALIFORNIA GREAT AGAIN...  move to another state.  When no one is left but Jerry Brown...  the CA State Assembly... and their Illegal Immigrant Voters, who the farmers gonna sell watermelons to ?
I would love to see the CNN video of Jerry Brown hiding in the Gov Mansion with a couple million Mexicans outside yelling...  "WHAT NOW MISSER BROWN !"

don't let the door hit you in your ignorant racist white ass
  • Like 1

illegal immigrants voting..... has been proven to be incredibly misleading, as it is counted by attempted registrations, not actual votes....

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2016/nov/18/blog-posting/no-3-million-undocumented-immigrants-did-not-vote-/

I have been riding since 1972, and I still believe the number one reason for getting our riding rights wittled away is the image and actions the average rider presents......which is more important than the actual riding prividege, to so many, that it's sad.  

• Like 2

illegal immigrants voting..... has been proven to be incredibly misleading, as it is counted by attempted registrations, not actual votes....
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2016/nov/18/blog-posting/no-3-million-undocumented-immigrants-did-not-vote-/

I have been riding since 1972, and I still believe the number one reason for getting our riding rights wittled away is the image and actions the average rider presents......which is more important than the actual riding prividege, to so many, that it's sad.  

Yea, I agree. I think it just comes down to the simple fact that the non-riding community just sees the destruction of the hills, mountains, desert, (insert here any terrain) and says, nope.
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, KennyMc said:

Yea, I agree. I think it just comes down to the simple fact that the non-riding community just sees the destruction of the hills, mountains, desert, (insert here any terrain) and says, nope.

Fuggin Dirt Murderers

• Like 2

i volunteer with District 37 Dual Sport Committee and once a year we fly to Sacramento for "OHV Lobby Day".
it is good and it is bad.
for these Lobby Day dates, we should have hundreds of OHV folks there speaking to their Congress people and Senators but it's generally 10-15 people. out of those 10-15 people, most are well beyond retirement, in their 70's and 80's.
no one below the age of 40. maybe a couple of us 40 somethings. more 50 somethings. and a few 60 somethings. what i am getting at, is two fold. young people NEED to get out there, off their azzes, and do something. not just sit on forums and facebook and spew misinformation about a bill or a situation that won't get past one politicians desk.
the other thing is, the politicians NEED to see young faces (yes i am talking about 40 and under) so they see we are here and we are representing ourselves. and we will be here for decades to come and we will soon have children and grandchildren who will ride and who will vote!
besides the Lobby Day, just on a weekly basis, we should be signed up with AMA and Stewards of the Sequoia and Blue Ribbon and CORVA and get on the phone right when something pops up on the radar. and of course give money and volunteer for those organizations.
and a final point, be eloquent when speaking to your district politician and dress nice. the redneck attitude and baseball cap and worn out Baja 1000 T shirt doesn't go over well and paints the picture that most of us know, but we need to sell them that we are all stewards of the desert and the forest more so than bird watchers and PCT hikers.

• Like 1

And that is exactly what has happened. Been riding in Anza Borrego since 1967, have witnessed many changes. With the formation of Ocotillo Wells OHV you have had a concentration of activities right off of highway 78. Out of the thousands of square miles that the Colorado Desert consists of all the average person just sees is this small area.

i volunteer with District 37 Dual Sport Committee and once a year we fly to Sacramento for "OHV Lobby Day".
it is good and it is bad.
for these Lobby Day dates, we should have hundreds of OHV folks there speaking to their Congress people and Senators but it's generally 10-15 people. out of those 10-15 people, most are well beyond retirement, in their 70's and 80's.
no one below the age of 40. maybe a couple of us 40 somethings. more 50 somethings. and a few 60 somethings. what i am getting at, is two fold. young people NEED to get out there, off their azzes, and do something. not just sit on forums and facebook and spew misinformation about a bill or a situation that won't get past one politicians desk.
the other thing is, the politicians NEED to see young faces (yes i am talking about 40 and under) so they see we are here and we are representing ourselves. and we will be here for decades to come and we will soon have children and grandchildren who will ride and who will vote!
besides the Lobby Day, just on a weekly basis, we should be signed up with AMA and Stewards of the Sequoia and Blue Ribbon and CORVA and get on the phone right when something pops up on the radar. and of course give money and volunteer for those organizations.
and a final point, be eloquent when speaking to your district politician and dress nice. the redneck attitude and baseball cap and worn out Baja 1000 T shirt doesn't go over well and paints the picture that most of us know, but we need to sell them that we are all stewards of the desert and the forest more so than bird watchers and PCT hikers.

I here you. Everyone can make a phone call. Everyone should be able to take a few minutes and compose a email to the elected representatives. It becomes harder when you try to voice your concerns with a physical presence. The age group you mention are busy working to support their families and can not afford the time to travel to a week day event. (Note the Horned Lizard symposium is on a Friday)
Nothing I posted is misinformation the fact is groups have been trying to get this Lizard declared a endangered species for years and whether or not they specifically want to shut down OHV use that is what the outcome will be.
The banning of "RED" sticker vehicle use is in fact a current proposal CARB is considering. CARB is a bureaucracy that does not answer to anyone. So the proposal won't even see a politician's desk.

2 hours ago, KennyMc said:

That might be true if any of these anti off road activists ever actually saw a trail.  I've been to plenty of public meetings over the years where people are shipped in and/or paid to show up and push an agenda who have NEVER witnessed the destruction they claim exists.  

It comes down to this...  the tree hugger's hobby is to stop motorized use...  the ohver's hobby is to go riding.  Fighting tree huggers is NOT anyone's hobby...  it is a chore...  and we as a community will never have the willingness, cash and mojo to compete with them.  Especially when the system is a farce to begin with...  a stage to pretend everyone is heard.  This stuff is all decided behind the scenes...  and then the play is presented.  It is not real.  And rarely if ever can the final outcome be changed.

My point of view is not some unsubstantiated opinion from the periphery...  I spent years in the back room with the Feds and the Green Sticker Folks and the REAL decision makers, witness to the development of the spin that would then be presented to the PUBLIC in the form of the stakeholder meetings & public comment periods that the public is then invited to.   It is a farce.  The system is all for show.  It gives folks an outlet to proclaim outrage...  too vent...  to feel they have been heard...  and that's ALL THAT IT IS.

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt

That might be true if any of these anti off road activists ever actually saw a trail.  I've been to plenty of public meetings over the years where people are shipped in and/or paid to show up and push an agenda who have NEVER witnessed the destruction they claim exists.  
It comes down to this...  the tree hugger's hobby is to stop motorized use...  the ohver's hobby is to go riding.  Fighting tree huggers is NOT anyone's hobby...  it is a chore...  and we as a community will never have the willingness, cash and mojo to compete with them.  Especially when the system is a farce to begin with...  a stage to pretend everyone is heard.  This stuff is all decided behind the scenes...  and then the play is presented.  It is not real.  And rarely if ever can the final outcome be changed.
My point of view is not some unsubstantiated opinion from the periphery...  I spent years in the back room with the Feds and the Green Sticker Folks and the REAL decision makers, witness to the development of the spin that would then be presented to the PUBLIC in the form of the stakeholder meetings & public comment periods that the public is then invited to.   It is a farce.  The system is all for show.  It gives folks an outlet to proclaim outrage...  too vent...  to feel they have been heard...  and that's ALL THAT IT IS.

i've never seen you at any meetings. and no one i work with has seen you either. you just troll the forums thinking you're making a difference.
but your story sounds great. like a OHV Twin Peaks. real juicy. lots of drama. become a writer since you're not a rider. bwahahahaha

1 minute ago, RAZR_ said:

i've never seen you at any meetings. and no one i work with has seen you either. you just troll the forums thinking you're making a difference.
but your story sounds great. like a OHV Twin Peaks. real juicy. lots of drama. become a writer since you're not a rider. bwahahahaha

You play in the system of no difference that I described...  you get no where and never will...  you got swallowed by the show.  I was invited inside where few get invited.  You do not even know the players behind the curtain.  Just keep banging your head against the wall. 

I HAVE OZ ON SPEED DIAL...  while you still click your heels on those Ruby Red Slippers wondering where ToTo is.

You are just the original wanna be.

Now go away you nasty little girl.

I'm not from the west coast but am concerned that this loss of riding areas is a nation wide trend.
I'm curious how much money/ time the manufacturers spend in support of the sport we all love ?

2 minutes ago, iceguy said:

I'm not from the west coast but am concerned that this loss of riding areas is a nation wide trend.
I'm curious how much money/ time the manufacturers spend in support of the sport we all love ?

Here and there a bit...  but in general they try to stay non-political.  Speaking to Honda's MC group managers here in CA it was made clear to me many years ago that they would never jeopardize their US auto interests for their MC business interests.  So they keep their head down and donate energy and money where it stirs no controversy.  Honda and Yamaha have sponsored trails in the local mountains around Big Bear over the years.  Thats a few thousand dollars in a year.  I've seen programs from Yamaha supporting the Riderdown Foundation.... but I don't think you will ever see any MC business march on Sacramento to save any trails. 

inho

I tend to agree with Jeff on this.

But I have an idea that might help with the general public (nothing helps with politicians.......)

Maybe less public videos of the donkey girls tearing the living SHIT out of hillsides.  I mean if you're gonna do it, you're gonna do it.  Whatever.  I used to do that occasionally myself.  But the grandiose, chest thumping, **** measuring, **** slapping talk about how awesome of riders you are, how you go off trail to be able to make climbs, along with the videos that CLEARLY show guys tearing the living **** out of the hillsides is what pisses off John Q Public who knows nothing about dirt bikes.  No one (OK, mostly no one except the radical tree huggers) care about trails in the back country, woods or remote desert.  But they DO care about the scaring of public lands while they are out driving around.  And it's the public we need on our side, not the radical huggers.  

If you gotta brag about how awesome you are, I completely understand.  But maybe take the movies off the internet, and keep em for private viewing.  FOR SURE Purgatory and the vast number of Donkey girl rides are in illegal areas.  Areas that have been off the riding grid for years.  No worries on my part, I'd ride em too (and did ride em when I was in CA), but I didn't go bragging about it publicly, and then show videos of me tearing the **** out of the landscape at every possible opportunity.

Just my $0.02.  Personally, I don't care.  I'm done with CA except for some real estate.

I tend to agree with Jeff on this.

But I have an idea that might help with the general public (nothing helps with politicians.......)

Maybe less public videos of the donkey girls tearing the living SHIT out of hillsides.  I mean if you're gonna do it, you're gonna do it.  Whatever.  I used to do that occasionally myself.  But the grandiose, chest thumping, **** measuring, **** slapping talk about how awesome of riders you are, how you go off trail to be able to make climbs, along with the videos that CLEARLY show guys tearing the living **** out of the hillsides is what pisses off John Q Public who knows nothing about dirt bikes.  No one (OK, mostly no one except the radical tree huggers) care about trails in the back country, woods or remote desert.  But they DO care about the scaring of public lands while they are out driving around.  And it's the public we need on our side, not the radical huggers.  

If you gotta brag about how awesome you are, I completely understand.  But maybe take the movies off the internet, and keep em for private viewing.  FOR SURE Purgatory and the vast number of Donkey girl rides are in illegal areas.  Areas that have been off the riding grid for years.  No worries on my part, I'd ride em too (and did ride em when I was in CA), but I didn't go bragging about it publicly, and then show videos of me tearing the **** out of the landscape at every possible opportunity.

Just my $0.02.  Personally, I don't care.  I'm done with CA except for some real estate.

you mean the videos that have the GPS coordinates and the name of the trails and the name of the riding area!?! those??

i didn't think so.

but keep thinking that and make sure you make a facebook post about it to get the comments and likes you want.

but we'll keep riding. and sharing.

the buddies i ride with have no reason to chest thump.

let's chalk this up to another thread about wasting time and not doing anything.

47 minutes ago, RAZR_ said:

you mean the videos that have the GPS coordinates and the name of the trails and the name of the riding area!?! those??

No - just the ones that are obvious where they are.  And even if they're not obvious - the opposition comes in and snags pics and videos to use in their presentations.  An established fact.  So keep riding and sharing.  :thumbsup:

PS - don't worry - I'll keep your secret from Facebook.  I don't do FB so you're safe.  LOL  I get enough laughs here,.  :lol:

Edited by Bill_P
  • Like 1