A delicate question

Hi,

I had the misfortune to damage a front brake line today which rendered the brake inoperative. 30 seconds later I would have been in a world of pain as I was riding in a hilly section with trees, wet clay and rocks. It was certainly no fun for 30 minutes getting down and up these hills with my fingers involuntary touching the front brake lever.

My question: Is there such a thing as an emergency hose repair? Just a little front brake would have made the world of difference. I know it would not really be safe and we should not even talk about these things but sometime you need a little bush engineering to get home. I am thinking a sleeve and two hose clamps maybe.

I chose this forum for two reasons:

1. If there is a group of guys that may have had this problem then it is the lifers on the XR

2. My search of thumpertalk and the net in general gave up nothing other than self-vulcanising tape.

Regards

Gazzmann

Edited by Gazzmann
grammar

If you had the stock rubber hose, it probably could have been fixed with the appropriate size piece of metal automotive brake line and two fuel injection style hose clamps. Only problem is you would have little fluid left for bleeding the air out of the system, and I'm not sure there is even a injection clamp that small. Best bet is ss brake lines, no more trail damage. I've been ripped off my bike with by a snagged stainless steel brake line with no damage to the line. Tape would never hold the pressure of a braking system. 

This is on your 99 xr6? Where did the line fail? Was it original? Just askin, because maybe its time to replace mine?

CoreMoto.com $125 a set , front and rear. Any color combination you want. And Bork , they're in Florida.

Edited by JoeRC51

Thanks guys. I had just enough oil to get a little pressure. I must confess it was on my husky. It has thin brake lines in comparison to the XR so you guys can rest easy.  

Regards

Gazzmann