Supercross/Motocross Bike Setup Standards

I'm new to watching Supercross and Motocross this year but have absolutely enjoyed it so far.  One thing I want to know is the bike setup regulated in any way like NASCAR has to fit the stock standard template and they have restrictor plates for some races?  I was just wondering if there are officials that check the bikes for certain things before they go out on the track.

The reason I ask is because Eli Tomac's bike seems so much faster than everyone else.  I'm not a Tomac hater, I think he is a great rider.

There's a lot of stuff. Sound, it has to be a stock frame and swingarm. Can't make it more than a 250 cc or a 450 cc. And it has to be over a certain weight I think 215 or 220

And I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff

Limited to stock engine cases- maybe the stock jug too ,   stock frame and swing arm, --  after that it's pretty much game on .    Those are 100,000$ motorcycles, --  while a nicely accessorized stocker like you or I would build with kit suspension and a motor decked out by PC might cost us 25k on the outside

oh yes, the weight and cc limit

Edited by DMC707

5 hours ago, Dual Sport Daddy said:

I'm new to watching Supercross and Motocross this year but have absolutely enjoyed it so far.  One thing I want to know is the bike setup regulated in any way like NASCAR has to fit the stock standard template and they have restrictor plates for some races?  I was just wondering if there are officials that check the bikes for certain things before they go out on the track.

The reason I ask is because Eli Tomac's bike seems so much faster than everyone else.  I'm not a Tomac hater, I think he is a great rider.

There are no restrictor plates.  Every 450 is capable of producing more power than a human can use.  Ricky Carmichael said Suzuki had a 58 HP bike for him to test that was too gnarly.

Tomac's bike is faster because he's twisting the throttle farther and longer.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dual Sport Daddy said:

Eli Tomac's bike seems so much faster than everyone else. 

There is so much more involved with speed than following a "template" like in NASCAR.
For them, the two most important things are 1) Aerodynamics 2) Horsepower.

For MX/SX, it's 1) Rider ball size,2) Suspension, 3) Horsepower 4) Traction

You could have the exact same bikes and exact same suspension settings, tuned exactly the same with exactly the same power, and unlike in NASCAR, where they will all be bottled up in a pack, the MX/SX guys will be strewn out just like they are now.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dual Sport Daddy said:

There is no template like nascar, but they use a "stock" frame and swing arm. But like NASCAR, they all cheat. 

Edited by GBowman