Plastic Front Disc Guards: Do they work?

I have a bit of interest in these guards from a functional perspective but they cost about half of what a new disc would cost me. I'm just trying to figure out what these things really do and whether the investment is worth it. I notice a lot of off-road guys run them so hopefully real world experiences will be plentiful...

They help keep crap off the rotor in offroad and mx they help to keep your rotor from getting caught or damaged from other riders. I run the acerbis one and love it

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I don't know about front plastic ones, but I've destroyed several rear ones in gnarly stuff.

I agree.  The plastic ones better be cheap.  They keep the rotor a little cleaner but larger rocks will wipe it out.

• Like 2

The Acerbis one is about $50 now, the UFO version $60-70, and the ktm/husky power parts one msrp is $79. A new OEM rotor retails for about $140 but can be found for around $105.

I live in the desert so mud is not an issue haha but I guess if your riding in mud you don't really need a disc guard since mud is pretty soft anyway.

Don't know how useful they are, I don't use any and think they're ugly. I may regret it one day, might not. I ride in axle deep rutted trails all the time. None of my rotors are oversized yet either.

Edited by RawbW
  • Like 1

I notice very few riders in our Hare Scramble events run them. I definitely DO NOT run one. I also have a 280MM rotor.. I've never damaged a rotor from contact with other objects. Not saying it won't happen, just that it has not happened yet.

I ride in ruff rocky trails in Arizona so it's a must for me and the Acerbis holds up great and has saved my rotor from rock damage multiple times. I also like the fact that you can buy a different mounting plate and put it on any other bike.

20170521_161151.jpg

• Like 3

That's sexy, I was going to order one a few months back at $50 or so but then had to buy an adapter at another $35, I was out then!

10 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

That's sexy, I was going to order one a few months back at $50 or so but then had to buy an adapter at another $35, I was out then!

$44 for the complete kit at RM ATV/MC.

• Like 1

I'm not sure the company but it sounded similar to that that but in fine print kinda thing it said this # needed. 

+1 on the acerbis x,love mine in the rocky stuff,nothing negative to say.i also bought mine at rmatv under 50.

19 minutes ago, mudmixer said:

+1 on the acerbis x,love mine in the rocky stuff,nothing negative to say.i also bought mine at rmatv under 50.

What are they made of, inch thick plastic?  I have destroyed stock plastic disc guards a bunch of time on rocks.

I know what your saying, a piece of 25cent piece of plastic but it helps as a deflection more than anything. Our forks would be screwed with out the gaurds

• Like 4