Exhaust mod recommendations

I picked up a 06 WR450F this past winter and absolutely love it (had a DRZ 400), the PO told me he removed the exhaust restrictor, emissions stuff and put YZ jets in it. Seems to run out well but am wondering if I should leave the exhaust tip in or remove it. I ride mostly fire roads and some single track. IMG_6305.JPG Need the spark arrestor but seems the tip would restrict it but maybe that's good?

He also said he tried the grey wire mod but it didn't seem to change anything and couldn't remember how he left it, thoughts on if I should do it or leave it stock?

Sorry if these are repetitive questions, I couldn't find them in my search (I'm an old fart)

Read the pinned posts at the top of the forum

A 'real' exahust makes a noticable improvement at all rpms, and makes the bike easier to ride. FMF, ProCircuit, etc. Stay away from the Lexx and Spark stuff, as it falls apart.

That, and all the proper carb, TPS, grey wire mods makes for a better riding experience. It's not about 'faster', even though it is.

Get rid of that tip and the stock muffler. Get a fmf powercore. You wont regret it

That's the plan eventually, want to run it through the summer before I start spending money on it again!

Keep that whole tip part out, take a 1/2" drill bit and put a couple holes through the baffles in the muffler, then put the spark arrestor back in and ride it.

Yes, as stated above, get rid of that whole muffler. Back in 05 Yamaha made a gytr muffler with a spark arrestor. Don't think they're available anymore but they sure do work well if you can find one. It has a huge end which is the key I guess, much less restrictive, a little louder too.

On 5/22/2017 at 11:46 AM, woods-rider said:

Keep that whole tip part out, take a 1/2" drill bit and put a couple holes through the baffles in the muffler, then put the spark arrestor back in and ride it.

Yeah, don't do this.

This will make it louder, but run worse.

The pipe needs to be tuned to make power, not just be less restrictive.

Yeah, don't do this.
This will make it louder, but run worse.
The pipe needs to be tuned to make power, not just be less restrictive.

Not true.

I did this to my 2006 and it ran much better than stock. Yes, it was louder and needed to be rejetted, but still ran much better. Maybe not quite as well as an aftermarket performance muffler, but the price was free.

Remove the tip and try it. If you want more power and don't mind a bit more noise put a 1/2" hole through the baffles. Try it, wan more power and don't mind a bit more noise then add a second 1/2" hole. Repeat this until you find the right balance of power and noise for you.

I ended up with three holes. I shoulda stopped at two as it was a bit louder than I would have liked. I put roughly 1,000 hours on that bike with that muffler mod. It makes a good difference and I am not a slow rider, ask around in the PNW forum from those who have ridden with me.

Krannie just likes to talk sometimes when he hasn't actually tried it and does t really know.

24 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

Not true.

I did this to my 2006 and it ran much better than stock. Yes, it was louder and needed to be rejetted, but still ran much better. Maybe not quite as well as an aftermarket performance muffler, but the price was free.

Remove the tip and try it. If you want more power and don't mind a bit more noise put a 1/2" hole through the baffles. Try it, wan more power and don't mind a bit more noise then add a second 1/2" hole. Repeat this until you find the right balance of power and noise for you.

I ended up with three holes. I shoulda stopped at two as it was a bit louder than I would have liked. I put roughly 1,000 hours on that bike with that muffler mod. It makes a good difference and I am not a slow rider, ask around in the PNW forum from those who have ridden with me.

Krannie just likes to talk sometimes when he hasn't actually tried it and does t really know.

Please don't  disparage me or my experiences.  If you make it personal, you will PAY for your efforts....

I have tried EVERYTHING that can be done to a 2003/2006/2007/2008 WR stock muffler.  All mods are just compromises.  Straight through tuning is the only thing that really works.....and even then, every brand of pipe gives different results. I like what ProCircuit does the best. Revs quicker and has flat power. I like what FMF does the least. Revs slower, and pushes the power down, but only slightly improves throttle response (Q4) . The 4.1 PC is better, but too loud.

The stock muffler has tuned tubes to keep the back pressure consistent with rpm and load.

When you change to the GYTR tip, the power and throttle repsonse is better, but the off idle response is flat.

Removing the tip makes it better, but MUCH MUCH louder, and ruins the top end over-rev. Drilling holes is....well....backwards. The holes raise the frequency of the back pressure making the power band all messy...especially around 6k-8k where it gets really flat.

I'm sure you liked it better with all the holes. That does not make it actually better.....

Please don't  disparage me or my experiences.  If you make it personal, you will PAY for your efforts....
I have tried EVERYTHING that can be done to a 2003/2006/2007/2008 WR stock muffler.  All mods are just compromises.  Straight through tuning is the only thing that really works.....and even then, every brand of pipe gives different results. I like what ProCircuit does the best. Revs quicker and has flat power. I like what FMF does the least. Revs slower, and pushes the power down, but only slightly improves throttle response (Q4) . The 4.1 PC is better, but too loud.
The stock muffler has tuned tubes to keep the back pressure consistent with rpm and load.
When you change to the GYTR tip, the power and throttle repsonse is better, but the off idle response is flat.
Removing the tip makes it better, but MUCH MUCH louder, and ruins the top end over-rev. Drilling holes is....well....backwards. The holes raise the frequency of the back pressure making the power band all messy...especially around 6k-8k where it gets really flat.
I'm sure you liked it better with all the holes. That does not make it actually better.....

Let me put it this way, my 2006 uncorked (yz throttle stop, open air box, rejetted and with the above muffler mods) was very similar in power to my uncorked 2012 ( comp ecu with fmf map, opened air box, and fmf powercore 4 muffler) and it was quieter too when I don't have the quiet insert in the fmf.

I think it worked very well for what it was and would do it again. I regret spending the money on the fmf for my 2012 instead of just modding the stock exhaust like I did to my 2006.

Let me put it this way, my 2006 uncorked (yz throttle stop, open air box, rejetted and with the above muffler mods) was very similar in power to my uncorked 2012 ( comp ecu with fmf map, opened air box, and fmf powercore 4 muffler) and it was quieter too when I don't have the quiet insert in the fmf.

I think it worked very well for what it was and would do it again. I regret spending the money on the fmf for my 2012 instead of just modding the stock exhaust like I did to my 2006.

Thanks guys

No noise restrictions in my area. Would like a little more bark and a new aftermarket exhaust is not in the cards at present. Is the exhaust mod removing the entire insert in the pic I have attached (like in the original post) or just removing the smaller insert that is inside (held in by 2 rivets)? I have a 2012 WR450F. Thanks.

*and yes I would like to do the mod correctly by purchasing a new exhaust but as stated that's not possible st present.

IMG_8736.JPG

No noise restrictions in my area. Would like a little more bark and a new aftermarket exhaust is not in the cards at present. Is the exhaust mod removing the entire insert in the pic I have attached (like in the original post) or just removing the smaller insert that is inside (held in by 2 rivets)? I have a 2012 WR450F. Thanks.
*and yes I would like to do the mod correctly by purchasing a new exhaust but as stated that's not possible st present.
IMG_8736.thumb.JPG.4c4b87d1a68aeabd7bbb3e9c14fe5af4.JPG

Sar,
I have the smaller insert removed and YZ jets and runs great, tried it with the whole piece out and didn't notice any performance increase just louder and had backfiring on deceleration, I put it back in.