Won't start

I have a 05 400sm. Never had any problems with it. Went three weeks without riding it, changed the oil, air filter, and spark plug. Went to go ride but won't start. Yes I gapped the plug, no there isn't any gas on my air filter, yes the carb is getting gas. I never noticed before but now there is a metal "clunk" sound when I try to start it and almost a "gargle" sound. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes. Every now and then a back fire. There's air pressure coming out of the exhaust while turning over.

its in neutral, kill switch is on, vacuum hose hooked back up on petcock, air cleaner isnt sucked into the motor?

In neutral, won't turn over if kill switch is off, k&n filter is not sucked in, all hoses connected, fuel is turned on when trying to start. I undid the carb bowl screw to make sure it was getting gas and gas came out.

So it cranks but no start?And you have a clunking sound while cranking?

Yes. Every now and then a back fire. There's air pressure coming out of the exhaust while turning over.

You may want to verify cam timing,chain condition,the primary gear nut and balancer shaft nuts are not loose and the stator and starter clutch bolts have not broken off.That doesn't sound right.

You may want to verify cam timing,chain condition,the primary gear nut and balancer shaft nuts are not loose and the stator and starter clutch bolts have not broken off.That doesn't sound right.

How would any of that "break" or get misaligned just from not being started for three weeks?

8 hours ago, NEKOOHC said:

Clean the carb ..thoroughly , fresh fuel , fuel screw tuning

agreed, my winter rebuild i will put in a carb kit and clean the bugger.  also upgrading the pump to the new honda one.  Mean time i put in some shell v-power with detergent fuel.   you can't get to the fuel screw its buried, again the carb kit has one included. 

Pilot circuit is clogged. Remove the carb, fuel screw, and pilot jet. Blow out the passage with carb cleaner and compressed air. Replace pilot jet with new if it was clogged. Throw the K&N filter at the neighbors cat that keeps crapping in your yard. Replace with a Twin Air or Uni filter. Enjoy a cold beer as your DRZ roars back to life with a fresh set of lungs.

Pilot circuit is clogged. Remove the carb, fuel screw, and pilot jet. Blow out the passage with carb cleaner and compressed air. Replace pilot jet with new if it was clogged. Throw the K&N filter at the neighbors cat that keeps crapping in your yard. Replace with a Twin Air or Uni filter. Enjoy a cold beer as your DRZ roars back to life with a fresh set of lungs.

Been home about an hour, pulled the carb and checked every screw. My carb is honestly spotless.

agreed, my winter rebuild i will put in a carb kit and clean the bugger.  also upgrading the pump to the new honda one.  Mean time i put in some shell v-power with detergent fuel.   you can't get to the fuel screw its buried, again the carb kit has one included. 

I have an aftermarket fuel screw that's reachable front the side of the carb. My carb is spotless on the inside. Just took it apart...

Did you blow the passage out with compressed air? I took a "clean" BSR off several times before figured it out.

Yes. There was nothing in it but a few specs of gas

How can I post a video of me attempting to start it so hearing it might help diagnose it?