Launch control on the Yamahas

Ktm have it std , and electric start and light weight, and smooth linear power, all things you only get on a factory Yamaha, ktm gives for 10k what you have to pay 100k on the Yamaha, Yamaha factory years behind std ktm ....

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, mog said:

Ktm have it std , and electric start and light weight, and smooth linear power, all things you only get on a factory Yamaha, ktm gives for 10k what you have to pay 100k on the Yamaha, Yamaha factory years behind std ktm ....

FFS Mog, can't a guy ask a simple question without you spinning it into KTM marketing drivel?

If I didn't know any better I'd swear you were a KTM spambot.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, wes513v said:

I wasn't aware that the Yamahas were running launch control, but it looked like Webb was hitting a button when practicing starts. Anybody else notice that? Or heard anything?

Every factory team runs a version of launch and traction control. 

7 minutes ago, Arctic Pride said:

What does the launch control do, just hold the bike at set and RPM till clutch drop?

Advances the ignition until it hits a certain RPM and gear. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GBowman said:

Every factory team runs a version of launch and traction control. 

Advances the ignition until it hits a certain RPM and gear. 

"Retards the ignition timing" is what I think you meant.  Just think "Mog mode" and you won't mix them up. ? 

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, mog said:

Lol says red that travels the other forums stalking me....

Scoreboard

?

I'm too lazy for that.  I use the "follow" feature on TT to keep an eye on you though, just to make sure you aren't out spreading too much misinformation.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

"Retards the ignition timing" is what I think you meant.  Just think "Mog mode" and you won't mix them up. ? 

No, advance on the start and retard as the revs go up. 

EDIT: Now your making me second guess myself

Edited by GBowman

15 minutes ago, GBowman said:

No, advance on the start and retard as the revs go up. 

EDIT: Now your making me second guess myself

Even though everything I've read says "retard" I'll brush that aside because I don't need to cite any sources for this. ? 

In order to have less chance at wheelspin / huge wheelie during a launch, you want to retard the timing.  Once you're moving (i.e. shift to 3rd) you want to put the timing back to normal to get max power.

This is somewhat related to how e-bike swingers love to sing songs about max torque at 0 rpm.  The reality is that the e-bike speed controller won't allow max torque at 0 rpm because you'd either flip over or melt the tire.

• Like 2