Thumps up to the privateers

The REAL privateers. 

We spent a good amount of time speaking to Deven Raper. Wrenching on his own bike, a $99 dollar pop up for shade, and fold up camping table, small amount of tools and working out of the back of a minivan. Without guys like him, this sport would be shit or at least full of pre-madonnas who sit out a moto at the slightest glimpse of a hangnail. The dude took the time to put his tools down and talk. He was real and not some scripted bullshit. He's not rich but guys like him make this sport what it is. 

I remember REAL mx hero's like Hannah, RJ, Jeff Ward, Guy Cooper etc. Those guys would sign autographs until ALL of the crowds were gone. No clocks, no up front money to be the first 100 in line. 

While we were talking to Deven, my other buddy went and sat in line for a Musquin and Dungey autograph (yes, he was there). Two people away from getting Dungeys autograph and some &%$#@!ing vagina (metaphors for another rude word but she was), comes out and says "sorry, signing time is done". My buddy, who is then right next to Dungey, looks at him and says "what the &%$#@!, your retired. You gotta go get your nails painted and can't sign these kids an autograph that have been sitting in line for an hour?"

I have zero respect for factory guys for the most part anymore. They are no Bob Hannah and have absolutely no balls to do what's right. The ONLY factory guy I k ow of who doesn't follow this protocol BS for the most part is Josh Grant. And that's why I'm a huge fan of his. Win or loose, he knows what its about and so do the REAL privateers.

Edited by Mongo134
  • Like 10

Speaking of Josh Grant. I'm looking forward to next week at Glen Helen. In recent years Josh has had his best races there. A couple of years ago, I think he won a moto in the MXGP race. Josh is hot right now. Josh and Tomac, one and two next week! Stamp it! AND it would not surprise me a bit if Grant wins a moto!

• Like 5

I'd like to see Grant get an overall this year. I was never really a fan but it's always good to pull for the old guy, and it seems like he's making a real effort.  Is ot a contract year? ?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

I'd like to see Grant get an overall this year. I was never really a fan but it's always good to pull for the old guy, and it seems like he's making a real effort.  Is ot a contract year? ?

Yeah, because the oldest guy pussed out for the outdoors.

10 minutes ago, yzernie said:

I think he was tired of riding the blue bomber....

• Like 2

Go to any local amatuer/pro races and you'll see entire fields of guys just like you say, working and sleeping out of vans.  It's not all that special, most all racers are good dudes, at least offroad.  I'd talk to you if you stop by my van.

As far as the autograph, I don't know, who cares.  I see their point, you have to stop sometime or they could potentially be there all day and night if the line keeps going.  They probably have other things to do also like prepare to race.  Guess I'm not a big autograph person.  If you wait an hour for one that's kind of on you.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SilentAssassin II said:

Go to any local amatuer/pro races and you'll see entire fields of guys just like you say, working and sleeping out of vans.  It's not all that special, most all racers are good dudes, at least offroad.  I'd talk to you if you stop by my van.

As far as the autograph, I don't know, who cares.  I see their point, you have to stop sometime or they could potentially be there all day and night if the line keeps going.  They probably have other things to do also like prepare to race.  Guess I'm not a big autograph person.  If you wait an hour for one that's kind of on you.

I agree on the signature thing.

I am sure it feels like you are being personally snubbed when they pull the signing is over line. But at the end of the day Dungey is just another dude. Mongo, if your buddy is ever down here I'll sign an autograph for him and he wont even have to cue :lol:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SilentAssassin II said:

I think the last autograph I ever asked for was from Johnny O'Mara in 1987. I was 16. Now I'm 45 and don't give two shits, that's not the point. Point was regarding the kids that waited in line forever because their parents can't afford to pay for a ticket to have their kid at the front. Its the whole "what's in it for me" mentality today I suppose. 

I can understand Marvin having to stop and get ready.....sure. But Dungey is retired now and he could have sat there signing for all those kids until the pits closed before the start of moto 1.

And yes, in the 80s they did stay until late after the races signing autographs, taking pictures and bullshitting with people. And money wasn't needed to do it.

• Like 6

The races are fun for you , but a job for them and just like you at your job, they have commitments too. 

What would you do if you had some type of dead line at work and a whole bunch of people standing at your desk asking for your autograph? 

I've seem Dungey stand there late after the races and sign and take pictures with everyone waiting. 

Edited by GBowman
  • Like 4

Yeah I like the little guys too. They work so hard for a chance at the ring. Josh Grant has always had time to shoot the breeze with me. Nice guy and good to see him doing well so late in his career.

At High Point.......2012?

0009407-013.thumb.JPG.5804f20cf91cd2fa8f88ba43ba7f4949.JPG

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mongo134 said:

I think the last autograph I ever asked for was from Johnny O'Mara in 1987. I was 16. Now I'm 45 and don't give two shits, that's not the point. Point was regarding the kids that waited in line forever because their parents can't afford to pay for a ticket to have their kid at the front. Its the whole "what's in it for me" mentality today I suppose. 

I can understand Marvin having to stop and get ready.....sure. But Dungey is retired now and he could have sat there signing for all those kids until the pits closed before the start of moto 1.

And yes, in the 80s they did stay until late after the races signing autographs, taking pictures and bullshitting with people. And money wasn't needed to do it.

I completely understand your point. The problem nowadays is that the factory riders are just employees from big firms and they have contracts and have to stick to the AMA and their team guidelines thats it. they dont even own their bikes or gear.

One of my best friends is a close friend with one  of pro racers and we where hanging out in the trailer after the race, then My friend asked for his Jersey and this pro rider made a phone call  and ask if he can give away tonight's jersey, the answer was no. My point here is that they don't even own their jerseys.  

So I wouldn't blame the riders, because they are cool as hell, down to earth , Is just that they all work for a big franchise who is turning the MX racing in to a Formula1 type of thing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mongo134 said:

The REAL privateers. 

We spent a good amount of time speaking to Deven Raper. Wrenching on his own bike, a $99 dollar pop up for shade, and fold up camping table, small amount of tools and working out of the back of a minivan. Without guys like him, this sport would be shit or at least full of pre-madonnas who sit out a moto at the slightest glimpse of a hangnail. The dude took the time to put his tools down and talk. He was real and not some scripted bullshit. He's not rich but guys like him make this sport what it is. 

I remember REAL mx hero's like Hannah, RJ, Jeff Ward, Guy Cooper etc. Those guys would sign autographs until ALL of the crowds were gone. No clocks, no up front money to be the first 100 in line. 

While we were talking to Deven, my other buddy went and sat in line for a Musquin and Dungey autograph (yes, he was there). Two people away from getting Dungeys autograph and some &%$#@!ing vagina (metaphors for another rude word but she was), comes out and says "sorry, signing time is done". My buddy, who is then right next to Dungey, looks at him and says "what the &%$#@!, your retired. You gotta go get your nails painted and can't sign these kids an autograph that have been sitting in line for an hour?"

I have zero respect for factory guys for the most part anymore. They are no Bob Hannah and have absolutely no balls to do what's right. The ONLY factory guy I k ow of who doesn't follow this protocol BS for the most part is Josh Grant. And that's why I'm a huge fan of his. Win or loose, he knows what its about and so do the REAL privateers.

pri·ma don·na

ˌprēmə ˈdänə/

noun

noun: primadonna

the chief female singer in an opera or opera company.

synonyms:leading soprano, leading lady, diva, star, opera star, principal singer

"this scene was added to give the prima donna another aria"

a very temperamental person with an inflated view of their own talent or importance.

synonyms:ego, self-important person, his nibs, temperamental person, princess, diva, pooh-bah; 

informaldrama queen

"a city council filled with prima donnas"

Pre-madonna:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Madonna

Perhaps we should be teaching the kids, the world doesn't revolve around you, don't be a primadonna, this/that dude has a job to do, and their own life to lead, and you don't "own" any of their time.

TP199 was a real MVP for staying a people's hero and interacting with the fans as much as he did. It seems like there are very few who can see racing as more than just a "show" anymore. It's nice to see that some pros, guys who are idols to the up-and-comings, staying humble enough to not be above interacting with all fans, remembering they were once the kids lining up just to even be in the presence of their heroes. I know when I have people, no matter their age, coming up to me to talk, I take my time to have a good conversation. When kids come talk to me, I take the time and give them my full attention, because I remember what it was like to be that age and to look up to someone. When I first started riding, I looked up a local A guy named Casey Clark. I actually decided to use his number, 141, for myself... and I still continue to run it today. The reason the top guys get paid is because of the locals. Kudos to Deven. I know the feeling of being just outside of the unpopable bubble, trying to break in.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, GBowman said:

The races are fun for you , but a job for them and just like you at your job, they have commitments too. 

What would you do if you had some type of dead line at work and a whole bunch of people standing at your desk asking for your autograph? 

I've seem Dungey stand there late after the races and sign and take pictures with everyone waiting. 

That sounds very familiar to my job now....... Just not an autograph for the wall or merchandise. 

They can't win, I understand. Under the thumb of corporate and constantly compared to the riders of yesteryear by the older guys.

Edited by Mongo134
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, yzernie said:

Nah, Davalos was still there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hendricus said:

Speaking of Josh Grant. I'm looking forward to next week at Glen Helen. In recent years Josh has had his best races there. A couple of years ago, I think he won a moto in the MXGP race. Josh is hot right now. Josh and Tomac, one and two next week! Stamp it! AND it would not surprise me a bit if Grant wins a moto!

2014 and I think he won the first moto.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GBowman said:

What deadline did Dungey have?  

Will you tell my Project Manager that I shouldn't have to go to daily meetings or take calls from the owner or work other engineering discplines when I have a deadline coming up?  Thanks in advance!

Edited by redrider144

This saturday my neighbor came over and watched the outdoors with me. First time watching. As Tomac was passing lappers he asked why do they even let those slow guys race? I explained those guys are there racing out of the back of a van they bought with a bike they bought and wrench on. For an amateur like me they are my heros. I sent him this post just!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

What deadline did Dungey have?  

Will you tell my Project Manager that I shouldn't have to go to daily meetings or take calls from the owner or work other engineering discplines when I have a deadline coming up?  Thanks in advance!

Do you think your job is any harder than his? 

Will you tell his boss that he shouldn't have to have daily meetings or take calls from all the media outlets that want interviews? Or maybe you can tell the flight he has scheduled to hold on because people want autographs? Or better yet, tell the airlines to schedule his 4 flights a week around his schedule. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GBowman said:

Will you tell his boss that he shouldn't have to have daily meetings or take calls from all the media outlets that want interviews?  

You must be referring to the Mrs as the boss because the dude is retired.