So I had a 2015 rmz250 early 2016. I bought it new and could not for the life of me get it to lug, i stalled it constantly in tight and technical sections. I Ended up back on a 2 stroke, which lugs fine and I no longer had issues. but I would like to get a 250f again. I'm riding Moto more, and I will still race woods and harescrambles . My question is, what 250f lugs well, and what mods can I do to get it to lug better? it's the tight and technical stuff that gets me, stalling in these situations is no fun and any help is appreciated

I'm looking specifically into the 16-17 Kx250f and Yz250f, how well do they lug compared to a 250 2 stroke?

You went too specific to get alot of responses, I'll tell you this anyways my 01 yz that was gear specific for hills now climbs some good hills in 2-3 with my heavy flywheel, chug chug

1 hour ago, woodsracer771 said:

So I had a 2015 rmz250 early 2016. I bought it new and could not for the life of me get it to lug, i stalled it constantly in tight and technical sections. I Ended up back on a 2 stroke, which lugs fine and I no longer had issues. but I would like to get a 250f again. I'm riding Moto more, and I will still race woods and harescrambles . My question is, what 250f lugs well, and what mods can I do to get it to lug better? it's the tight and technical stuff that gets me, stalling in these situations is no fun and any help is appreciated

I'm looking specifically into the 16-17 Kx250f and Yz250f, how well do they lug compared to a 250 2 stroke?

I found that for a 4T the YZ250FX can be bogged down a reasonable amount. Better than my XR250 did, in fact.

If you are expressly riding gnar, I'd stick with a 2t. but it sounds like you arent so a 4t will work.

Other than that, you could add a Wreck-Lose.

You have a MX race bike, not a woods trail bike. You can change the final gearing but it is never going to lug along nor is it good for the health of the engine.

• Like 4

When lugging a hard section and modulating the clutch learn not to ever turn the throttle all the way off.  Some people turn the idle up to mimic that, but it's better to learn it. 

• Like 2

Slip that clutch baby... And as said above, always crack the throttle open at least a little. You can't ride them like 2 strokes...

41 minutes ago, Bitteeinbit said:

Slip that clutch baby... And as said above, always crack the throttle open at least a little. You can't ride them like 2 strokes...

I do that with my 2 strokes anyway. I didnt know there was any other way 2 or 4. I find that even doing this the 4s stall easier. Especially carby ones.

Not the latest and greatest technology but no later than a few days ago

once again it never ceases to impress me as my old Honda CRF250X equipped with a heavy flywheel

proved to be pretty much unstoppable (and stall proof) no matter how slimy, rocky etc. the trail was.

Keeping a steady throttle, one finger on the clutch just in case and, just point it where you want to go.

Unlike a motocross, this is a 250F which does allows lugging. (within reason)

Versus more modern bikes it's not the very best at anything (power, suspension, weight etc.)

but surely an overall package that handles everything you throw at it very well.

IMO it's weight (a bit top heavy) is it's greatest drawback.

• Like 1

A flywheel weight with gearing change will help your situation, along with clutch feathering. None of this is suzukis fault, as that bike was intended for mx use, but you should be able to make it work. Best thing would probably be different bike, however. I have an rmz450 4 speed I use for everything, I keep it for trails only because I got a great deal on it so I put up with some of its shortcomings, rmz450 engine actually works really good for trails, it's the gearbox that's the drawback.

On 5/21/2017 at 6:59 PM, William1 said:

You have a MX race bike, not a woods trail bike. You can change the final gearing but it is never going to lug along nor is it good for the health of the engine.

THIS!  All the bikes you have mentioned are MX bikes.  They are not designed to lug through the woods.  It's like complaining that your Ferrari won't tow your gigantic trailer.  No chit, its not designed to.

Get a decent enduro 250F and it will lug just fine.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2017 at 9:00 PM, BushPig said:

I do that with my 2 strokes anyway. I didnt know there was any other way 2 or 4. I find that even doing this the 4s stall easier. Especially carby ones.

The carb'd 250F's all need to have their accelerator pump adjusted properly in order to prevent low rpm flameouts.  That isn't a stall.  The engine goes momentarily lean and instantly flames out.  Had a terrible issue with it when I first got my 250F.  A bit of knowledge and some screwing around and the engine works 10x better now at low rpm.

My stock 01 yz250 will chug any 30° hill in 3rd gear, no problem with a $130 13oz flywheel, hills need to be defined here to get an ideal. It'll also rip at any moment on demand!

I think some people missed my question. I know a 250f won't lug well. I'm just asking various ways you have personally found to make them lug better. I know the basics, gearing changes, flywheel weight, etc, I just have never personally done them

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CDNSXV said:

The carb'd 250F's all need to have their accelerator pump adjusted properly in order to prevent low rpm flameouts.  That isn't a stall.  The engine goes momentarily lean and instantly flames out.  Had a terrible issue with it when I first got my 250F.  A bit of knowledge and some screwing around and the engine works 10x better now at low rpm.

Yes, proper adjustment makes a world of difference. I still think 2 strokes are harder to stall when FWW'd up and geared low.

Woods 4T is good too.

2 minutes ago, woodsracer771 said:

I think some people missed my question. I know a 250f won't lug well. I'm just asking various ways you have personally found to make them lug better. I know the basics, gearing changes, flywheel weight, etc, I just have never personally done them

Would you be opposed to buying a hybrid bike like a YZ250FX? It is capable of moto AND lugging, right outta the box.

Would you be opposed to buying a hybrid bike like a YZ250FX? It is capable of moto AND lugging, right outta the box.

I wouldn't be. I was between the 2017 kx250f and a yz250fx. I think I'm going to go with the Kx, I've ridden both now and liked the feel of the kx better, it won't lug as well, but I prefer 5 speed transmission, the handling is familiar to me, I've had 2 kx250fs back when I did Moto only, and I'm a sucker for the looks. The kx is also nearly $2k cheaper than the fx at my dealer.
I will note the kx lugs leaps and bounds better than my Rmz and both are 100% stock.
  • Like 2

250f I know nothing about sorry! I should add my last post wasn't entirely correct I have a pro circuit pipe, long time ago I forgot!!!

I have a 2015 Yz250. I added an 8.4 oz flywheel weight and like the bike. It's actually for sale currently but I appreciate the input

1 minute ago, woodsracer771 said:

I wouldn't be. I was between the 2017 kx250f and a yz250fx. I think I'm going to go with the Kx, I've ridden both now and liked the feel of the kx better, it won't lug as well, but I prefer 5 speed transmission, the handling is familiar to me, I've had 2 kx250fs back when I did Moto only, and I'm a sucker for the looks. The kx is also nearly $2k cheaper than the fx at my dealer.
I will note the kx lugs leaps and bounds better than my Rmz and both are 100% stock.

Your mind is made, go buy it!

No 4 stroke is ever going to lug like a 2 stroke.  The thing that drives me nuts about the 4 stroke is that not only will they not lug down as low in the RPMs, but the stall has very little warning so it's hard to save it.  I think there are 2 big reasons 2 strokes dominate enduro.  The ability to lug and the ability to snap the front tire up without the clutch and without picking up a bunch of speed

• Like 1