400E petcock fitment issues

So as soon as I got my 400S, I decided to replace the stock petcock since I didn't want to take the chance on flooding the case with fuel, as I've read about so many times.  I ordered the Raptor petcock from the TT store and routed the fuel line up and over the carb like many others have done.  However, there was way too much kink in the line at the petcock end and I knew it would bother me in the long run.  Last week, after a lot of research here, I decided to bite the bullet and get the 400E petcock; I figured with the 90 degree spigot that kink wouldn't be an issue and I'd have a way shorter fuel line run too.  I even picked up 1/4" fuel line because the 5/16" was a little too loose for my liking.  Just installed the 400E petcock, put the tank on and here is what I have:

20170521_195418.jpg

Arguably more kink than I had with the Raptor (and I know the line is too long and the carb end is a little low but it's the same situation even when at the same level).  Here's a shot from the top to show the issue a little better:

20170521_195444.jpg

There's kinking from the vertical drop and there's also clearance issues with the sensor  :banghead:   Removing the spacer would fix the sensor clearance but the knob would hit the tank and probably cause more kinking with a longer vertical drop...  I could potentially loosen the spigot a bit to clear the sensor but I figure it's tightened to that angle for a reason.  Am I worried about nothing?

Edited by drifteast

take a new piece of fuel hose and run a length of black iron wire or a coat hanger through it and mold the hose to the shape you want then submerse it in a small pot of boiling water for 1/2 hour and remove and let it stand to cool to room temp.remove the wire and check fit the hose.it should fit fine.

Edited by bumtarder
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, bumtarder said:

take a new piece of fuel hose and run a length of black iron wire or a coat hanger through it and mold the hose to the shape you want then submerse it in a small pot of boiling water for 1/2 hour and remove and let it stand to cool to room temp.remove the wire and check fit the hose.it should fit fine.

Well, I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years! Thanks! I didn't have access to continuous boiling water (long home reno story, stove is out of commission at the moment) but I tried just pouring boiling water into a Pyrex dish with the fuel line and wire (I cut up one of those silicone-encased utility tie-ups) and left it until it cooled. I probably didn't get quite the bend I would have liked - that wire is not strong enough - but it shaped the line enough that I'm now happy with the fit. Thanks a lot!!!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1