TT-R125LE or CRF125F?

I'm going to buy a little bike to throw a plate on and bomb around town on.I've narrowed it down to these two  bikes.So which one?Is the maintenance more on one then the other?Any issues with either that will be a problem?I really like Honda's but currently have a 2016 Yamaha FZ-07 and I really like it.Any and all advice will be much appreciated.

Kids next door have both a 2016 TTR125LE and 2014 CRF125FB   (both are 'big wheel' versions 19"/16")

I maintain both and find the TTR is overall a better (newer?) design than the CRF,

at least it has some minimal suspension adjustments to tinker with.

If you are over 5'6", ergonomics wise do yourself a favor and skip a 125 and move up to a CRF230F,

it will also be more versatile if ever you decide to trail ride it. (larger wheels 21/18, more ground clearance & suspension travel etc.)

In this case I'd say the Honda is a better buy than a Yamaha TTR230.

If your budget allows for a brand new bike, the Kawasaki KLX140 has an 'G' version which has full-sized wheels (21/18)

smaller engine displacement than a 230 but, the bike is also quite lighter and of more modern design.

Edited by mlatour

I want to keep it as close to 100cc as possible.If Honda still made the CRF100 I'd go buy one brand new.I was looking for a used bike but you never know how badly they've been beaten,if maintenance was done or not,and people always think they are worth way more than they are.I'll just be bombing around town.No trails.No highway.

Honda now sell a CRF110F, unlike a 125F I'm pretty sure it's got a semi-auto gearbox meant for beginners/kids.

Recreational bikes (aircooled) do keep a better resale value than motocross race bikes.

It's not unheard of of people buying a used bike, teaching their kids to ride on it until they grow out of it

and re-selling it a few years later for the same price as the original purchase.

Edited by mlatour

I realize they keep some value but some people set the price way too.There are two CRF100s for sale locally with crazy prices.I hope they like their bikes because they are never going to sell them.There was a guy that had two XR100s for $1800.00 but they sold very quickly.I would have bought them if I'd had the chance.I know what the CRF110 is and I'm not interested.They are really easy maintenance though.I have a street legal with a 50cc engine that I installed an 88cc kit on with a race head and race cam.It's so damn small though and a bit unstable at higher speed.I clocked it at 60MPH with GPS.Gets a bit sqirrely.