Sign in to follow this  

Rev Limiter

I ride a 2014 kx250f. I am racing now. I've been turning into more of a rever than a grunter when it comes to my riding style. I hit the rev limiter every here and there when I am in the air. Usually right before I land back on the ground. I never hit it when my wheels are actually on the dirt. Could this cause me any problems? Should I stop? 

I'm thinking it's a necessary thing on a 250f to ride it fast. As long as it's not for extended periods of time you should be fine as long as your maintenance is good. The rev limiter shuts it down so it won't blow up. If you ride a lot it might be a good idea to overhaul the engine every season to be safe

You wont need to rev the bike in the air if you lean back even a few inches on takeoff. The reason you need to panic rev while in flight is because your front wheel is to low. Panic reving raised the front wheel while in the air. If you find your on the limiter off of every jump you should probably change your body position on take off and in the air . just try sliding back slightly and you'll find it will make a huge difference

I answered assuming you were talking about getting the bike to land with the wheel spinning to get as much drive and back up to speed when landing. Most racers do open the throttle to some degree while landing or just before to help drive forward. If you are holding the throttle wide open to correct a mistake on takeoff then it is not a good idea.

Hitting the limiter in mid air is typical wear and tear. Bouncing it off the limiter for a few seconds is fine, keeping it on the limiter for extended periods of time is unnecessary and hard on the engine.
Keep the air filter clean and the oil fresh and you'll be fine