Potential buy... Owner might have hydrolocked it when I was there

Looked at buying an 07 CRF250X this afternoon.  Owner said he doesn't ride much but finds bikes to rebuild and sell as a hobby.  He bought this one with the motor not completely rebuilt and he said he went through everything.  He had even added some stuff to it like a hidden shutoff, mixture knob, etc, and also did some quality painting on it using urethane paint.  It looked like a new bike and he seemed like a very meticulous guy and said he's been a mechanic for 30 years.  He was an open book and seemed very knowledgeable and trustworthy.  

He had washed the bike before I got there. When I went to fire it up I hit the starter and it cycled once and locked up.  Seemed like the battery was dead.  He thought it just hit on the compression stroke and maybe the battery was a little weak.  He tried to kick it a few times and it was extremely hard to kick.  It finally let up and the starter could turn it over but it wouldn't start.  Then he tilted the bike over further while looking at something and a bunch of water started coming out of the air box.  We opened it up and the filter was soaked.  Let it drain all the way and he tried starting it a few more times.  I saw water vapor coming out of the exhaust.  It would run but just for a half second before dying.

He said he'd take the carb out and let it dry and call me tomorrow to let me know how it's running.

I'm worried he hydrolocked it and maybe bent a valve or a rod.   What do you guys think?

Edited by JINXR

Sounds like the carb float might have stuck assuming what you are calling water was gas. He's going to have to change the oil since the pool of gas was seeping past the rings for who knows how long. Kinda a silly mistake for a mechanic of 30 years to not be starting up a bike the same day he plans on selling it.

Supposedly he ran it and drove it around right before he rinsed it off.  And he rinsed it off just before I got there.  The ground was still wet and so was the bike in places.

Doesn't matter now though because the guy just welched on me. Guess he wasn't as good of a guy as I thought he was. When I left he said he was going to get it running and would let me know what he found out.  He said nobody else was interested and said I could come get it tomorrow after he got it running and dried out.  We even discussed a time. Before I got there I had offered to put a down payment on it because I couldn't get enough cash today with the banks closed, but he said the deposit wasn't necessary because he wanted to get it running before he would sell it to me.

The dude just texted me and told me someone made a full price offer and he sold it tonight. 

I probably wasn't going to buy it after researching things tonight, but what a s*** head.

Edited by JINXR

Yeah it was water.  My first post wasn't clear.  When he washed it he filled up the air box.  Then it sucked in a bunch of water when I went to start it.

I think God was looking out for me on this one.  Had a bad feeling in my gut but I was really wanting the bike and overlooking the red flags.

• Like 2

After going to see it, it not running, airbox full of water, you were STILL going to put a deposit? Eesh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, William1 said:

Biker flippers. Pig polishers

Exactly. Get it running, make it look pretty, hide and misdirect away from any potential problems, tell the buyer what they want to hear. "Brand new top-end!" "Just rebuilt!" "Haven't rode it since I rebuilt it!"....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, William1 said:

Biker flippers. Pig polishers

10 minutes ago, The Spanky said:

Exactly. Get it running, make it look pretty, hide and misdirect away from any potential problems, tell the buyer what they want to hear. "Brand new top-end!" "Just rebuilt!" "Haven't rode it since I rebuilt it!"....

Yep. I've been rather PC on here about flippers.

Either your screwing the seller or the buyer. That's an ancient Greek mentality.

• Like 3

Some people have BS down to a fine art.  Sounds like you just met one of those people.  Thankfully you got out whole. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, XRalways said:

After going to see it, it not running, airbox full of water, you were STILL going to put a deposit? Eesh.

:confused:

No I didn't put a down payment on it and wasn't going to (heck it was even his idea that we forgo the deposit until he figured it out but insisted it was still mine once he got it figured out).  

4 hours ago, The Spanky said:

You just summed up his ad perfectly...  :jawdrop:

Wish you could trust people

• Like 1

I love the ad that says like new very low hours. You call and they're the third owner and had it six months.

I love the ad that says like new very low hours. You call and they're the third owner and had it six months.

I actually have one of those bikes you would have to see it to believe it.

I actually have one of those bikes you would have to see it to believe it.

It's out there. You just have to dig through some garbage. Get your cash ready to go when the right deal comes along. Always interview the owner on the PHONE before you meet them. Go see the bike assuming it's junk. If it's not right don't buy it. There are actually sellers that ask a fair price for a great bike.
PSA: Craigslist is littered with bike scammers right now. I've bought three and sold two this year. Avoid the text only people, long distance travelers, show up after them so if it looks shady you can leave and if they change the meeting point last minute then skip it. Plus all the other ones you already know. Never EVER unlock the bike for anyone that shows up on foot. He's leaving through the woods nearby and he has no cash because all he needs is his gun. Been there done that one. If you're wearing your pistol, he won't show you the money because after all; your the guy with the gun here.... I know someone that got taken on that one. You really can't shoot a person or attack them because you think they stealing your bike. It's really not stolen until the bike is gone and they didn't come back with it. That's my rant. Be careful.

I thought I found a clean 2006 DRZ400 but after doing some facebook and tax record stalking, the house in the pictures didn't match the house he lived at (nice place vs a trashed out duplex).  He hadn't registered a DRZ400 in the last 5 years either.  So I asked him how long he's had it and the guy would not give me an answer.  Then got mad at me for asking him again.  See ya bro!

This s*** is maddening.  About to give up.

I thought I found a clean 2006 DRZ400 but after doing some facebook and tax record stalking, the house in the pictures didn't match the house he lived at (nice place vs a trashed out duplex).  He hadn't registered a DRZ400 in the last 5 years either.  So I asked him how long he's had it and the guy would not give me an answer.  Then got mad at me for asking him again.  See ya bro!
This s*** is maddening.  About to give up.

Yep, I wanted this DR350 that was just beautiful. Low price too! I almost lost focus on the scam. In GA there is no registration for off road only bikes. So it's anybody guess. The ad said canton. He's been living in Statesboro. That's a four hour drive. He was willing to meet me halfway in Macon. The map showed a in town retail district address in milton. For a 1400 bike. No.
  • Like 1

A little off topic but it drives home the point of 'if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.'

A few years back, I was looking to buy a tractor. Retails for about $20K Found a used one, under 200 hours, the 'lady' wanted $4K Great deal, right? So I email. Now she is no longer living where she said. (Richmond, Virginia) Now in Georgia. I googled the town, there is a military base right nearby. So I email 'her' again, telling her my nephew is a colonel in the base and he said he'd be happy to send a few guys over with cash and pick it up. Oddly, I never heard back from 'her'. The scam was via an Amazon Scam site and that the tractor had been already created and 'at some warehouse someplace'. Found another 'used' tractor, also real inexpensive. Using the same pictures, this time in Illinois. I used a fake email account. Told her I was in the town over. The 'lady' said she was just transferred to the Fort Richardson in AK. I told her my Uncle was a General over at the Eleventh Airforce base and could cargo plane it over. Oddly, I never heard back from her.....

Bikes are inexpensive items. Sadly, many owners do not take care of them and trash them, but think they are still worth market pricing, either ignorant or out right scammers regarding condition of what they are selling. It is all to easy to buy that 'cheap' $1,000 bike and find it needs $1,500 to be in 'market' condition and market value is only $1,200.

• Like 1