Fixable?

I screwed up every way a guy could today. I grabbed the tools and manual to do a quick oil change on a new to me DRZ. But what I didnt do was come here and search first.... its just an oil change right? Well after putting the washer on wrong and tightening the nut too far with the crappy Tq wrench I opened up a new hole in my crankcase. (Insert Face Palm Thingy Here) 

Is there any chance this is fixable with some JB Weld or is the crankcase done for? 

20170521_113956.jpg

nope.You dun really screwed up there.No epoxy repairs for that.Is it fixable?,yes but the motor has to come out and be completely disassembled,the crankcases split apart and cleaned real good and then it can be tig welded by a good engine machine shop and the drain plug area refaced and retapped and then the motor put back together.

• Like 3

Are there any great engine builders in the MidWest here on the board? Any reccomendation? 

You can call Millenium Technologies and talk to them about it.I think they're in Wisconsin.Their crankcase welding and resurfacing starts at $200 I think but you'll have to talk to them.

Edited by bumtarder

Pull the motor, try to get a large vice grip or c clamp around the damaged area,grind out the crack with a dremel tool,then find a competent tig welder to patch it up for you.
You've got nothing to lose by going that route. If it doesn't work, then you can split the cases and go whole hog on the repair

• Like 1

The worst part is, this was completely preventable. I spend hours a week reading through these pages but for some unknown reason didn’t think to search 'DRZ Oil Change' to find the quick tutorial with clear warnings about both the mistakes I made. I jsut feel like I punched myself in the balls. 

If I split the cases I almost feel obligated to build the engine but that is a $3K ordeal. Then you tack on another $1K for the suspension and I have over $7k into a 'cheap' reliable bike. I need to decide to either send her to craigslist ($1k loss), send the motor off to the fancy shop (with a big check) to have it built right or just put the bike in the back of the garage while I look for parts on the cheap and eventually do it myself (disaster in the making). 

The only good part about this situation is that I believe I have an XR600R waiting for me later this week so I won’t be stuck on the couch. 

Since the crack goes straight up instead of cracking into two pieces, i'd try a spot weld on each edge of the crack just to stop it from spreading. No need to split the cases for this.

Seal the rest with jb and go ride.

Safety wire the plug if you fear it will come loose. Rtv the crush washer if it leaks.

Might be worth a try if you know somebody with a tig welder.

You could then do a proper repair in the winter.