How do you know when your Jetting is just right?

So i've been working on this FCR carb on my yz250f ever since I got it. It had hot start problems, bogging, stalling, poor power etc.

So I think i finally figured out the jetting that it needed, has new needle, 40pilot and 175main. For first time ever it starts hot with a single kick and performes from idle to WOT almost perfectly. If it's in high gear going slow and I want to build rpm slowly across the powerband it will occasionally bog and try to stall, I really have to be picky to get it to do this by tractoring in 3rd gear, but it still bothers me. I want it to be perfect at all rpm all throttle positions. Am I just being too picky? When do you decide jetting is "good enough"?

Stock should of been a OBEPQ, leaner at wide throttle openings and richer at small throttle openings. I'd source a NFPN.

A lot of guys love the 5TA-14916-YS-00 (#NCYS) But they are MX riders.

Remember too, you have a race MX bike and it is not designed to tractor. It is supposed to be run at 5,000 rpm and up.

yeah but except at that 1000 RPM band just before it gets on the pipe the engine should run clean with correct jetting.

Hum, well I can always  experiment with different needles, they are cheap. I know i'm getting very close with the jetting. 

Im shocked at how different these small 4 strokes change before and after they are warm. When I went to test after making some changes to the clip position this last time, I thought it wasn't going to run well because it kept stalling before it was warm enough. It would bog and stall 2 or three times when I'd get on it before it reached full temp. Soon as it was at fully warmed up  it was running great, but not a minute before.

Dig in to the accel pump circuit and get that sorted.  Had all kinds of trouble with mine till I figured out the AP.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2017 at 8:45 PM, William1 said:

. I'd source a NFPN.

What is the difference between he NFPN and the NFPR (stock) i'm running now and why this recommendation? 

13 hours ago, xtactical said:

What is the difference between he NFPN and the NFPR (stock) i'm running now and why this recommendation? 

Slightly richer on the straight diameter (between 1/8th throttle and 1/4-actual throttle position, not rpm)