Never seen that before?

Aftermarket bladder setup to replace the stock KTM system. Nearly 3hrs into my race after a series of 3rd gear whoops I hear a loud bang... Literally blew the bottom out. Oil pukes and damping goes to shit... Still rode another hour with a blown shock and won too!... Good times... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Monk said:

Aftermarket bladder setup to replace the stock KTM system. Nearly 3hrs into my race after a series of 3rd gear whoops I hear a loud bang... Literally blew the bottom out. Oil pukes and damping goes to shit... Still rode another hour with a blown shock and won too!... Good times... 

WOW.

With my luck at keeping oil inside things maybe it was a good thing I gave the RT bladder a miss this time round.

RT? or other Monk?

I've heard they vary a lot in quality

I've heard they vary a lot in quality

Do I need to say something here? No, you said it all for me.

You're too damn fast...
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BushPig said:

WOW.

With my luck at keeping oil inside things maybe it was a good thing I gave the RT bladder a miss this time round.

RT? or other Monk?

Other, I'm sure it was just a freak accident as lots of guys use these parts without failure... The sound it made when it exploded was so gnarly though. Sounded like a bomb went off.. I thought I maybe flexed the bike so hard that maybe I broke a engine case, especially after seeing the oil everywhere... I pulled in for fuel, motor was still running so I headed out for my fourth lap... Lol, the whoops were terrible!!! 

• Like 2

Its an aftermarket part that failed not a ktm

• Like 2

Its an aftermarket part that failed not a ktm

That may be so...but, it must be a second rate part to start with since the aftermarket came up with a fix for it. Haven't heard of any SSS bladders exploding, even with Monk abusing them.
  • Like 1

So it's ktms fault someone else made poor bladder conversion? They should ban aftermarket parts? Ktm sell one themselves and I have never heard of one fail , but aftermarket yes

I don't really understand the argument? Is there a argument? The guy who specs, sells and installs these bladders is one of the single best suspension tuners in Western Canada, if not Canada. I can't say with 100% certainty this is a isolated incident but I'm pretty sure it is. I've done bladder conversions in all my KTMs and never once had a single failure...

I think is more funny than anything...

I had come off a previous weekends win in some of the worst terrain/conditions possible, conditions I'm a fan of but historically never had my best results...

Coming into this weekend was terrain I'm known to be quick on... Flowy, fast and whooped out which is something I seem to lean towards when setting up my bike. With a dead last start, and a huge crash 2min into the race which apparently I was knocked out for a few, I managed to saddle back up and get going (I remember someone saying i shouldn't race and my reply was "just put me in the phaqin bike and I'll figure that out". I was already a class behind at this point so for the next 1hr I had to make my way through the Intermediates, and then our Vet Expert/A group.

I honestly cannot say what the first lap was like as I can't remember, and even today things are still a bit hazy. I came into the pits running in 3rd, quickly making a pass for 2nd and then chasing down whoever was next. I still had no idea who was in front or how far ahead. I put in a solid 2nd/3rd lap with consistent lap times.

Towards the end of lap 3, 300yrs from the finish I heard a loud bang... I thought something broke in half... I pulled into the pits, grabbed fuel and went back out... The last lap was brutal as I had no damping and it's was so inconsistent... Hillclimbs wore me out just trying to hang-on... The bike did get good traction when the trails were smooth and perfect, she would squat hard!

I almost tossed it away a few times due to my confidence but I didn't crash. Unfortunately my last lap time was a reflection of the bad shock, not my speed or fitness... I managed to get up into 3rd Expert, 11th overall out of 170+riders...But back to the shock, I'm sure it's just a freak accident and hopefully I didn't do too much damage inside the body. With a little luck I hope to have her back up for Tuesday for practice... 

IMG_20170522_073051_420.jpg

IMG_20170521_175405_528.jpg

20170522_140408.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Monk said:

Other, I'm sure it was just a freak accident as lots of guys use these parts without failure... The sound it made when it exploded was so gnarly though. Sounded like a bomb went off.. I thought I maybe flexed the bike so hard that maybe I broke a engine case, especially after seeing the oil everywhere... I pulled in for fuel, motor was still running so I headed out for my fourth lap... Lol, the whoops were terrible!!! 

I bet they were. Good on you for slaying it through adversity. 

Congrats on another win.

• Like 2

I think I know what happened.The cap fitted to the resivour was machined a tad to small and when the resivour got hot and expandanded the cap worked its way past the cir clip.

It's not an isolated incident I've heard of a few , the kits are made and resold by many different people , badly made is the problem

• Like 1

So it's ktms fault someone else made poor bladder conversion? They should ban aftermarket parts? Ktm sell one themselves and I have never heard of one fail , but aftermarket yes

No, not at all. Aftermarket is their only hope. What should have done is make it right in the first place so the aftermarket wouldn't have to step in and save them again. Ready to race? Bwaaahaaahaaa! Ready to replace maybe.

So we have brake failures, gearbox failures, hub failures, frame failures, starter failures, apparently bladder issues that require replacement, I'm sure I'm missing a few...that there's a quality machine Mog.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wes513v said:

No, not at all. Aftermarket is their only hope. What should have done is make it right in the first place so the aftermarket wouldn't have to step in and save them again. Ready to race? Bwaaahaaahaaa! Ready to replace maybe.

Case in point:  My stock reed cage / reeds were garbage, with only 2 hours on them.  Gigantic gaps everywhere.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mog said:

It's not an isolated incident I've heard of a few , the kits are made and resold by many different people , badly made is the problem

These are made locally... 

So there is no gtyr kits for Yamaha in fact no aftermarket parts at All.. .., wes and red are you saying Yamaha are without fault ? Red go and ride your perfect yz lol still not fixed?

The bladder kits give a tuner 100% profit margin , just possibly why tuners fit them ? Ohlins use a separator piston same as wp , no one makes a bladder kit , because no one would buy one as they are not hyped the same , they wouldn't sell enough.

You see the 18 crf 250 ? Ktm inspired engine with a clever but heavy twist of twin ports for exhaust , also factory kxf 450 with electric start, they'll all copy ktm eventually...

• Like 1