FE501 - 2017 v 2016 v 2015

I'm looking for a 501 to supplement my 701, which is great in anything remotely open but heavy and a handful in tight, hilly & technical terrain.

There are still a few runout 15 & 16 model available, but I'm aware the 17s are completely new & quite a bit lighter.  

Has anybody gone from a 15 to a 16, or ridden both, that can opine on whether the price difference of $1000 is worth it?  There were a few changes, but nothing that I can see as remarkable.

Has anybody gone from a 15/16 to a 17, that can opine whether the $3000 difference is worth it?

I'm a competent rider, but our group doesn't ride fast, so I don't need extreme/enduro racing performance - am just looking for a good, new bike that I know the history of to ride once a month or so.

Thanks,
Russ

well i've never been on a 501 period but from a principal standpoint, why spend the extra coin on marginal differences in model year for a bike thats only going to be ridden once a month at a more casual pace? 

If you can get a 15 or 16 non S model do it!! The new 17 bikes come with all the smog shit and extra stuff you pull of anyway. It's harder to get them remapped and you'll save $$ too! Unless you live in Cali, get the non S, trust me on this!

15 to 16 wasn't a big change, little better suspension calibrations but most will mod the 4CS anyways. 15/16 to a 17,,, yes worth the extra for the frame, one piece side plastic, motor and a better out of the box suspension.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've ordered a 2016 today as the dealer I bought the 701 from offered a great price. Although the 2017 is quite an upgrade, the 2016 is an incredible bike in its own right and more than enough for my humble needs.  The dealer doesn't have any 2017s left anyway and is unsure when the 2018s will arrive.