I recently picked up a left over 16 drz400sm and have been lurking here doing some things here and there right now i have the 3x3 mod, got rid of the goofy kickstand and clutch switches as well as the wind sail on the tail and adapted a fmf slip on to fit. im here to see what else should be addressed to make this bike last a while and also be enjoyable. heres a pic of it how it sets right now

20170520_143605.jpg

looks prety sweet except for the missing guard on the pipe.. that makes it looked 'hacked' to me .. and you dont need to 'address' anything on the dizzer unless you beat on it, mine runs like new and its ~17 years old and ive never done anything to it other than change the oil and brake fluid, keep it clean and out of the wet as much as possible  .... the best thing i ever found to make the whole experience more enjoyable is dupont chainsaver chain lube - makes the chain last and is easy to keep the rear clean ..

• Like 1

Congrats on the new bike! I've got the same one and here's my list:
Zeta Pro Armor handguards
Motard footpegs
Mirror delete plugs and bar end mirrors (mounted just inside the grips)
Fender eliminator
3x3
JD jet kit
Full MRD exhaust
I highly recommend the jet kit and the handguards.IMG_2537.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cowpie said:

looks prety sweet except for the missing guard on the pipe.. that makes it looked 'hacked' to me .. and you dont need to 'address' anything on the dizzer unless you beat on it, mine runs like new and its ~17 years old and ive never done anything to it other than change the oil and brake fluid, keep it clean and out of the wet as much as possible  .... the best thing i ever found to make the whole experience more enjoyable is dupont chainsaver chain lube - makes the chain last and is easy to keep the rear clean ..

Thanks and I have since put the heat shield back on had to rig up a spring nut on a hose clamp to get it to bolt to the new pipe lol. and Im glad you mentioned the chain lube as I was wondering what I should use.

1 hour ago, SilverdaleSM said:

Congrats on the new bike! I've got the same one and here's my list:
Zeta Pro Armor handguards
Motard footpegs
Mirror delete plugs and bar end mirrors (mounted just inside the grips)
Fender eliminator
3x3
JD jet kit
Full MRD exhaust
I highly recommend the jet kit and the handguards.IMG_2537.JPG

looks alot like mine I just removed the front reflectors. What jet kit did you go with? I thought it would need jetted but the bike starts and idles fine as well as runs through all the rpms without any stutter so I thought the jetting was fine

File down shifter

Case guards

Charcoal can remove if applicable

Grips

Bar risers if you're tall

Tires

Set rear sag

LED headlight

Quick throttle 

Coolant overflow tank relocate (cosmetic)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

File down shifter

Case guards

Charcoal can remove if applicable

Grips

Bar risers if you're tall

Tires

Set rear sag

LED headlight

Quick throttle 

Coolant overflow tank relocate (cosmetic)

case guards on the way. charcoal canister i'm pretty sure i don't have one. grips also on the way. tires will be replaced once they are worn. quick throttle is at the house waiting on the grips, I dont mind the overflow tank. But I will file down the shifter. Thanks for all the input and info so far keep it coming.

• Like 1

looks alot like mine I just removed the front reflectors. What jet kit did you go with? I thought it would need jetted but the bike starts and idles fine as well as runs through all the rpms without any stutter so I thought the jetting was fine

I went with JD jetting... the research I did recommend the JD kit over the Dynojet kit. It comes with replacement Allen screws for the bowl, a variety of jets and decent instructions for jetting it depending on mods and elevation. With my mods at sea level I went with 160 main/25 pilot/2.5 turns on the fuel screw if I remember correctly.

Also have case covers and grips but have been too lazy to put them on so far lol.

• Like 1

Read the FAQ's in this section so you know what to be aware of.

Stainless brake lines do a lot for the feel of the binders. The stock front fender is a bit of a sail. The shorter "supermoto" universal fenders cut thru the air a bit better.

If you replace the stock headlight, mirrors and bar ends you can lose some high placed fat that is noticable while riding.

18 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Read the FAQ's in this section so you know what to be aware of.

Stainless brake lines do a lot for the feel of the binders. The stock front fender is a bit of a sail. The shorter "supermoto" universal fenders cut thru the air a bit better.

If you replace the stock headlight, mirrors and bar ends you can lose some high placed fat that is noticable while riding.

Thats kind of why I started this thread I was wondering through the FAQs and wasn't sure what still applied to the new models. I read that not much has changed but still not sure. What do you recommend for the headlight replacement? I hate the look of the factory mirrors so they will probably be replaced when I find some I like. For the bar ends just delete them or go with something else?

Yes, I think they still mostly apply. I have never had an issue with the primary nut but I did have the sprocket bolt come loose. I put loctite on all the stator and flywheel bolts as well since I was in there changing the flywheel.

I have the Trail Tech and it puts out decent light, a little less than stock. I got tired of the look and went to the Polisport light. Its smaller and looks more modern. It puts out enough light to get you home after dark, that's about it.

If your interested, I'd sell the Trail Tech light. It's plug and play, black with the DRZ graphics.

I don't think the bar ends make much difference. You can't use them if you add wrap around hand guards anyway, which I also recommend.

ill pass on the light im thinking if I change it, it'll be for the led light bar. Im also wanting to get a supermoto style front fender but I haven't been able to find any in grey to match the bike and Ill probably get the wrap around handguards but the lower profile ones that are just the metal bars.