Back from Moab Pics

1 hour ago, rustynut2 said:

Those were exceptional pictures Rusty........some of the rock formations are quite literally outstanding.

I have read at least a dozen or more books on the Anasazi and I can't imagine what it would be like to live in that general region. Have been to the Grand Canyon and Zion, but Moab is something that stands alone. Must have been a fun camping trip. Thanks for sharing those bud...................:thumbsup:

• Like 3

Wow... fantastic photos.  Thanks for sharing.  One of my dream places to ride and more so now after seeing these!  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures.

Been there with the Jeep numerous times and I'm itching to do the same with the DRZ. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Very Nice!   I can't wait to get down there myself in Sept. 

Looks like you stayed away from the busy gong show area's.

Easy to Find camping?  Can you camp outside of Campgrounds? 

• Like 2

Me too , There are a few places I want to hit in the next few years , while I still can ,  Moab has always been way up there , but I was always thinking in terms of a Jeep or 4 wheeler , not much rocks around me for practice and some of those climbs are not where I want to get that practice . I'd definitely have one of my bikes along on the trip though to take the Paiute trail as well .

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, bucket list said:

Very Nice!   I can't wait to get down there myself in Sept. 

Looks like you stayed away from the busy gong show area's.

Easy to Find camping?  Can you camp outside of Campgrounds? 

You can camp alongside the roads in many places, but I think you need an inexpensive permit to do so. I've camped at Canyonlands Campground (private) before, but they also have cabins you can rent. I tented the first time, but got a cabin every time thereafter. The caterpillar dung hitting the tent all night long sounds like hail on a tin roof (springtime). The cabins only have bunks and a porch, but the Moab Brewery and the McDonalds are directly across the street. 

Be sure to purchace Well's book before you go, or just pick up a copy when you get there. He covers every trail from tube buggy to Subaru station wagon. Interestingly, the tamer the trail, the better the views. Be sure to do Shaeffer Switchback no matter what vehicle your in, however, it would be best on a DRZ. I did it in a F150 Crew Cab once. A Subaru wagon could do it too. The trip to Needles is also very worth while, but you may not find time to go that far south on your first visit.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Moab-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/193483825X

• Like 2

The town is terribly busy with people and traffic, also under staffed. Food is over priced and lodging is hard to come by. Camping is available just out of town on the Colorado river and state grounds. Temps change rapidly and I need air after riding all day so no camping. In town bikes, motorcycles and utv's are for rent, along with boat and aircraft rides

As for the riding, lots of rock, lots. We did the White Rim Trail but it was flooded on 1 end. So 20 miles of trail to get there, 60 miles of trail in and turn around. The next day we hit the other side up to the flooded section and back out. WRT is 100 miles long so at best it would take 12 hours. To ride it you need a day pass available at either state park, Canyon or Arches. There are back ways into the park so you don't have to pay $15 per bike or $25 per car. Shaeffer Switchbacks are fun, any vehicle is fine. Potash rd is good and Gemini Bridges, all close by. We tried John Brown byway to CO but it was closed due to construction, still a fun road.

I enjoyed seeing the rock and mountains but prefer Colorado, I won't be going back.

We used tracks off trail damage site, just pic the easy ones.

Thanks for the kind words and interest. Here to help if you have questions.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bermudacat said:

You can camp alongside the roads in many places, but I think you need an inexpensive permit to do so. I've camped at Canyonlands Campground (private) before, but they also have cabins you can rent. I tented the first time, but got a cabin every time thereafter. The caterpillar dung hitting the tent all night long sounds like hail on a tin roof (springtime). The cabins only have bunks and a porch, but the Moab Brewery and the McDonalds are directly across the street. 

Be sure to purchace Well's book before you go, or just pick up a copy when you get there. He covers every trail from tube buggy to Subaru station wagon. Interestingly, the tamer the trail, the better the views. Be sure to do Shaeffer Switchback no matter what vehicle your in, however, it would be best on a DRZ. I did it in a F150 Crew Cab once. A Subaru wagon could do it too. The trip to Needles is also very worth while, but you may not find time to go that far south on your first visit.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Moab-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/193483825X

Thanks for all the great info and link, Bermuda and Rusty. That help should a lot. I'll be coming up from the south cuz I'll be bottoming out my CDR at Del Norte,  then over to Ourey and Telluride, so I'll check out the Needles area.:ride:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bucket list said:

Thanks for all the great info and link, Bermuda and Rusty. That help should a lot. I'll be coming up from the south cuz I'll be bottoming out my CDR at Del Norte,  then over to Ourey and Telluride, so I'll check out the Needles area.:ride:

Needles costs a few bucks at the park to get a gate combination, but it's totally worth it.  There is a wide, flat creek about eight feet wide that is the road to a massive arch with another ceek on the other side of the arch. Lots of remains from a paleolithic society. :thumbsup:

Over Elephant hill there is a giant void through the basalt only wide enough for a TJ to pass; No JK's will fit. :naughty:

• Like 2

If I ever get to the States, Moab and Colorado are sure things, I know I would need an extra suitcase for the return trip to fill with bike bits.

• Like 3