Whats the problem?

Can anyone help me try  diagnose my problem before breaking into the engine on my 2013 kx250f? Mid ride a couple weeks ago i heard a snapping/whipping noise and my engine died  immediately, and now my kick starter is seized. I had just changed my oil, oil filter, and cleaned my air filter before that ride. Im assuming something in my top end broke considering the bike still shifts through gears fine. Im saving up money right now to get it looked at, but am wondering if anyone has an idea of what it could be and how much it will cost. Im assuming around 1000-1500$. 

Thank you,

Matt

Edited by MattMoore224

If you are slightly mechanically inclined I recommend you reasearch how to rebuild the motor yourself. It's pretty straight forward on these single cylinder engines. Pick up a service manual and look up YouTube videos. MatthewMCReapir on YouTube has a very detailed video on compete engine rebuild on the kx250f. Part 1 of the video is free but part 2 you have to download through his website. He charges like $20 but it's the best detailed video out there. I'm talking close to 2 hours worth of footage step by step. Or if you like spending money the shop will charge you parts and probably $700 if it needs a compete rebuild just for labor 

4 hours ago, Methotic said:

If you are slightly mechanically inclined I recommend you reasearch how to rebuild the motor yourself. It's pretty straight forward on these single cylinder engines. Pick up a service manual and look up YouTube videos. MatthewMCReapir on YouTube has a very detailed video on compete engine rebuild on the kx250f. Part 1 of the video is free but part 2 you have to download through his website. He charges like $20 but it's the best detailed video out there. I'm talking close to 2 hours worth of footage step by step. Or if you like spending money the shop will charge you parts and probably $700 if it needs a compete rebuild just for labor 

Thanks man, ive been tryin to educate myself, just dont wanna bust into the engine and not know what is what. But avoiding labor charges would be ideal 

If you have a space to work on it, and you have some basic tools, roll your sleeves up and get into it.  You will learn a lot.  You will find the problem damage yourself, and we can help you to get a sense of what the repair and costs may look like.  When it comes to putting it back together, you can tackle that as well - or at that point put it in a box and bring to a shop to put it back together for you.  Either ways, you learn a lot about it building knowledge and skills.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, drmcook said:

You mentioned that it happened right after you changed the oil and filter. Could it be that you installed the filter backwards, thus blocking the oil flow and causing damage?

Thanks for the input but the oil filter is for sure in the right way