Sherco wp Cone Valve forks and Trax shock review

Well I took the plunge and picked up a set of wp A-kit suspension! Bought them from a sherco pro rider in austrailia and had them ship here to the US, the tuner in Australia had them all set up for me when they showed up.

First, I couldn't find many meaningfull reviews on thus suspension and literally zero on a sherco. 

So I've had a couple full Kreft kits on my 4cs Huskys with huck valves and the works and loved them. This suspension is another step even above that.

So the feel, just sitting on the bike they feel stiff and lack much rebound. When you start rolling is when the magic happens! The forks just gobble up everything from rocks and trail trash to small roots and rocks, I don't even feel them. Medium logs and bigger you feel but not from a jar through the handle bars but from a small jump type feel, very smooth. The nose dive under braking is gone yet it still connects to the ground and carves like no other!

The first thing I noticed with the shock was the drop out feature, it really puts the tire back on the ground in like half or a quarter of the distance as it would otherwise. If I jump a long and say I'm off the ground for 3' with a stock shock the trax feels like it's on the ground in 1' and hooking up! It has that always moving forward always in a hurry to go feeling.

Together as a package I found myself able to go much faster because almost nothing upsets the bike, it stays in a realitivly straight line and when I start to really bounce through stuff the rear end dances some side to side but feels like it's always trying to re center itself. The way I can attack and have the bike corner and stay true is amazing! It's also much easier on my body since I'm not picking up any shocks through the bars so riding harder longer seems to be a great side effect!

I had a couple oh crap moments following my AA buddy, who also has this suspension on his 16' kx450. Going fast and blasting a vertical dirt face in the woods and hitting things that would normally upset the bike enough to make me let off, I would wait for the bike to get upset but it never happened and on the gas I'd stay.  Such a cool feeling! Highly recommend to anyone who can spring for the cash!

I figure if I can move this suspension to a couple new bikes then I've just paid for them by not valving and springing two new bikes. After that they are still worth good money incase anyone is looling for even a tiny shred of justification lol.

20170509_184750.jpg

I was looking into that same set-up but went a different route with similar results. I said this many times any skill level benefits from an "A" kit suspension. Good stuff isn't only for the experience! Have fun and report back after more time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Casing-daily said:

How much were those? 

Ended up around  $3700 +\- 

• Like 1

Let us know how the shock works out after using it a while. Have read some varying reports. Good luck.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Let us know how the shock works out after using it a while. Have read some varying reports. Good luck.

It's been real good so far, hoping to get another good ride in over the weekend here. Only downfall is i have to completely remove the shock to adjust sag without an xtrig adjuster but I don't tend to change sag very often once I find the sweet spot.

44 minutes ago, Casing-daily said:

What does the "drop out" feature do?

"special rebound circuit that senses a decrease in pressure when the rear wheel is leaving the ground and ramps up to try to push it back into contact"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Monk said:

"special rebound circuit that senses a decrease in pressure when the rear wheel is leaving the ground and ramps up to try to push it back into contact"

So it's like a variable rebound speed type of deal?

Sounds like it would get really fast/wild in the whoops? Maybe keep the tire on the ground better over rocks/roots?

Edited by Casing-daily

13 minutes ago, Casing-daily said:

So it's like a variable rebound speed type of deal?

Sounds like it would get really fast/wild in the whoops? Maybe keep the tire on the ground better over rocks/roots?

I've only tested one once, I thought it was one of the best shocks I had ever tried...Paired with some of the worst forks I have ever tried... Lol

• Like 1

If you thought a set of cone valves were bad I'd have to say they weren't set up for you or who set them up didn't know how.

I've ridden two sets now on two different bikes and not that I'm an expert but the first set I rode were awful because they were set up for SX and we were ridding in the woods, once they came back reworked they were excellent. 

My current set was set up by a tuner who does some pro sherco riders stuff and had a lot of testing on what works so they work really well. My buddies kx450 CV and Trax Was done by factory connection but I like my set better.

I think it's like anything, they still need valved and set up by someone with some experience because there's an infinite amount of adjustment with these things.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, chums179 said:

If you thought a set of cone valves were bad I'd have to say they weren't set up for you or who set them up didn't know how.

I've ridden two sets now on two different bikes and not that I'm an expert but the first set I rode were awful because they were set up for SX and we were ridding in the woods, once they came back reworked they were excellent. 

My current set was set up by a tuner who does some pro sherco riders stuff and had a lot of testing on what works so they work really well. My buddies kx450 CV and Trax Was done by factory connection but I like my set better.

I think it's like anything, they still need valved and set up by someone with some experience because there's an infinite amount of adjustment with these things.

Who set them knows how, he's a suspension guy... And no, they are not setup for me. I'm 40lbs heavier and at minimum a gear faster.

That all being good said, the best you've ridden the best you know...

At this point I'm putting in 40hrs a month of riding, CV forks aren't going to be the answer if you don't put the work in on the bike too...But it's your money, and of you insist on buying the 'hype', more power to you... 

22 minutes ago, Monk said:

Who set them knows how, he's a suspension guy... And no, they are not setup for me. I'm 40lbs heavier and at minimum a gear faster.

At this point I'm putting in 40hrs a month of riding, CV forks aren't going to be the answer if you don't put the work in on the bike too...But it's your money, and of you insist on buying the 'hype', more power to you... 

Totally agree,  I've had 2 sets of Krefts full kit with Hucks, Enduro Specs full kit with hucks (MX tech), I've ran a modded zipty racing set up and several local tuners set ups, these cones and trax shock are the best I've ridden so I guess you're correct. 

Just wanted to give my input of what I thought of this set up, not trying to sell anyone anything and everyone should know what I like might not be what you like and the same deal the other way around...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chums179 said:

Totally agree,  I've had 2 sets of Krefts full kit with Hucks, Enduro Specs full kit with hucks (MX tech), I've ran a modded zipty racing set up and several local tuners set ups, these cones and trax shock are the best I've ridden so I guess you're correct. 

Just wanted to give my input of what I thought of this set up, not trying to sell anyone anything and everyone should know what I like might not be what you like and the same deal the other way around...

I was trying to get a Sherco but couldn't find a number both of us were happy with. I think the Sherco would be a well suited machine for our series.  Ultimately I would have had to so something with the suspension as the stock OC forks offered on the Sherco wouldn't have worked... 

Edited by Monk

Idk how I feel about that drop out feature still. Have you guys tried the shock in some high speed whoops?

I'm kind of concerned the drop out thing would eliminate control of rebound speed, get big time springy/swappy?

Edited by Casing-daily

7 hours ago, Casing-daily said:

Idk how I feel about that drop out feature still. Have you guys tried the shock in some high speed whoops?

I'm kind of concerned the drop out thing would eliminate control of rebound speed, get big time springy/swappy?

I have blasted whoops, I've actually been doing practice sessions for enduro/hare scramble on a MX sand track. This stuff is awesome in the woods or on the track and no swapping, very stabile.

I actually feel more in control of what the back end is doing now

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:19 PM, Monk said:

I have seen new riders go from good tuned stock bikes to a top shelf suspended bike with better lap times as well as more confidence. Sure seat time does a lot but anyone will benefit from top shelf suspension. People that disagree mostly either can't/wont afford these items or have been away from stock components so long that they place more on their skill to experience then suspension. Suspension is just another tool in the garage that if used along with knowledge makes the job easier and more fun.

10 hours ago, Casing-daily said:

This shock was designed for MX style tracks to keep the rear down on decal/excel bumps. Works very well in MX/SX whoops.

• Like 1