Hey I'm 14 and am looking to buy a new quad/bike. I am selling my yz85 currently I'll tell you what bikes I have owned/ rode crf50-xr80-yz144-yz85 

kfx50-yamaha blaster-raptor80

and I've riden Polaris 500's and they seem pretty sweet . The riding near my house is, a bog, single track, power lines, mud and sand. I feel like a atv would be better for mud and the rooty trails but I love the 75+ mph speed from bike and being able to jump/throw them around. 

Some bikes/ quad I've been looking at, keep in mind I have about 1500-2000

crf250x all brand 250f's raptor 700 400ex 300ex another blaster? Please help me with suggestions. I'm 120 and 5'5 and I feel comfortable on a 250f I've riden a few. Thanks 

In many ways I do not like to compare quads vs. dirt bikes because other than both being able to go off road they really are very different, with both having their strong suit and weaknesses.  So what I prefer to say is that you should be riding what your friends ride as quad riders and dirt bike riders tend to favor different types of terrain. 

So what's your friends riding?

Beyond that when buying used "condition is king".  And if you settle on something that's not perfect in your eyes then plan on spending some of your budget on fixing that.  So if you can spend 2000 on something that costs 2000 but needs 500 more in repairs then you need to pass.  But if you find the same thing for 1500 and it still needs 500 in repairs then the total bill is 2000 and your golden at that point.

• Like 1

Zig nailed it.

your age/weight/height you need to ease into the scene. 250f's have ton of power that you need to learn from 2 stroke 125's first. That should be your choice for bikes. Quad? Definitely not the 700 until playing on some 400's a bit first. A blaster is fun too, mod it up a little. Those are definitely in your price range. Add Toomey pipes and jet them, they are fun and budget friendly.

9 hours ago, zig06 said:

In many ways I do not like to compare quads vs. dirt bikes because other than both being able to go off road they really are very different, with both having their strong suit and weaknesses.  So what I prefer to say is that you should be riding what your friends ride as quad riders and dirt bike riders tend to favor different types of terrain. 

So what's your friends riding?

Beyond that when buying used "condition is king".  And if you settle on something that's not perfect in your eyes then plan on spending some of your budget on fixing that.  So if you can spend 2000 on something that costs 2000 but needs 500 more in repairs then you need to pass.  But if you find the same thing for 1500 and it still needs 500 in repairs then the total bill is 2000 and your golden at that point.

My friends all ride dirtbikes but my neighbors have quads 

9 hours ago, morphrider said:

Zig nailed it.

your age/weight/height you need to ease into the scene. 250f's have ton of power that you need to learn from 2 stroke 125's first. That should be your choice for bikes. Quad? Definitely not the 700 until playing on some 400's a bit first. A blaster is fun too, mod it up a little. Those are definitely in your price range. Add Toomey pipes and jet them, they are fun and budget friendly.

I am trying to get 125 power with out the 2-stroke work. I rode a 2001 yz144 with reeds and fmf pipe wide open for a couple months and it kept blowing up I think I'm ready for a 250f. I'll defiantly stay away from the 700 due to there being none in my area under 3k blaster may be an option too since I can get them for 400-800 easy around here. Also I've realized my 125 sat a few inches taller than my friends KX250f and seat height it definitely a problem. I have been looking at Polaris sportsman 500. Yamaha blaster. Crf250x and possibly a ttr or crf 230 while I grow since they're reliable bikes.

9 hours ago, morphrider said:

Zig nailed it.

I am trying to get 125 power with out the 2-stroke work. I rode a 2001 yz144 with reeds and fmf pipe wide open for a couple months and it kept blowing up I think I'm ready for a 250f. I'll defiantly stay away from the 700 due to there being none in my area under 3k blaster may be an option too since I can get them for 400-800 easy around here. Also I've realized my 125 sat a few inches taller than my friends KX250f and seat height it definitely a problem. I have been looking at Polaris sportsman 500. Yamaha blaster. Crf250x and possibly a ttr or crf 230 while I grow since they're reliable bikes.

If you end up with a 4 stroke dirt bike, keep in mind that if you blow one up its going to run $800-$1000 to fix them and that's doing the work yourself for the most part. A used 250f is always a time bomb. The 230's are bullet proof but lack suspension wise. But...if you read up on some of the threads in the 230 forum, those guys can really make them scoot and give 250 guys in the woods some dust to look at, lol. That might be the best affordable option for you. Get the Honda though, a lot more aftermarket parts available.

1 hour ago, morphrider said:

If you end up with a 4 stroke dirt bike, keep in mind that if you blow one up its going to run $800-$1000 to fix them and that's doing the work yourself for the most part. A used 250f is always a time bomb. The 230's are bullet proof but lack suspension wise. But...if you read up on some of the threads in the 230 forum, those guys can really make them scoot and give 250 guys in the woods some dust to look at, lol. That might be the best affordable option for you. Get the Honda though, a lot more aftermarket parts available.

Ya I've done work before on bikes. My entire family owns huge shops and are bike mechanics. And stuff like that I've rebuilt a 125 frame up doing every single part and piece and bearing I've rebuilt, crf50? Blaster yz125(3 times) xr80 (2 times) and one crf250r. I'm going to start looking into some crf230's and possibly a newer ttr230( I can find a 2013-2016 for around $2500) thank you. I was just wondering if they would keep up. I ride with about 5 people( ttr125, yz250f crf250r, ttr125, and xr80 , and a ttr230) I've been leading on my yz85 for awhile and keep having to stop to let them catch up I wanted to ride with some of the older kids( all 250f and 450's) mostly pits and woods.