New guy --- 2000 XR100 oil leak

I bought an XR100 for the boys the other day, a decent deal.. and came with an oil leak..for free.. 

I took a chance that it would be an easy fix. The previous owner was sealing and resealing the stator cover..?  So the boys and I took that off and also pulled the front sprocket, definitely the countershaft seal leaking.   While we drained the oil I cleaned up the area around and under the countershaft. Refilled with some Lucas 10w40 I found at Canadian Tire and not even one drop has leaked over the last two days. 

Weird.  I have no idea what oil was in there before.  They've been riding it and we pulled it apart again this morning and found just a tiny bit of oil on the rubber part of the seal.   Before we changed the oil it made a 3" stain on the floor in a couple of hours.

I ordered a new seal and a few other bits and pieces.   I'm curious to hear of similar experiences or strange happenings.. :)

I changed that countershaft seal a while back, just leaned the bike over, didn't drain the oil. The old seal came out way too easy. As soon as I pushed on it with the screw I was going to screw into it , it popped out.  The new seal is a bit more snug and hasn't leaked a drop. :)

• Like 1