Fouling Plugs and Spooge

I've searched and read every post on jetting and spooge, but I am concerned about going too lean to correct my issues.

I have a 2017 yz250x and ride exclusively on single track. I am maybe a C rider. Bike is jetted N3CW-2 48 pilot and 175 main riding at 1000'-1500' elevation. I use Yamalube 2R at 32:1

I've been correcting jetting one jet at a time first going to 48 from 50 and now 178 to 175. I adjust the air screw once warmed up each ride.

Bike runs great with the exception of a burble off idle. I've had to change the spark plug twice on the trail and noticed spooge about to drip from the exhaust.

I'm about to swap needles to N3CW to see if things improve.

I am also wondering if 2R is not the right choice for my riding. I've read other oils have a lower flash point that may help. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I've searched and read every post on jetting and spooge, but I am concerned about going too lean to correct my issues.

I have a 2017 yz250x and ride exclusively on single track. I am maybe a C rider. Bike is jetted N3CW-2 48 pilot and 175 main riding at 1000'-1500' elevation. I use Yamalube 2R at 32:1

I've been correcting jetting one jet at a time first going to 48 from 50 and now 178 to 175. I adjust the air screw once warmed up each ride.
Bike runs great with the exception of a burble off idle. I've had to change the spark plug twice on the trail and noticed spooge about to drip from the exhaust.

I am also wondering if 2R is not the right choice for my riding. I've read other oils have a lower flash point that may help. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I run 2R @ 32 and ride slow, I'm on a 45 pilot, JD red needle 3rd clip, 175 main. Plug is perfect, but it does spooge some.

I fouled 4 plugs on cold startup this year.....like 0-8 celsius outside.  I have the 178 main, 48 pilot.

I am also looking to go to the other needle to lean it out half a clip to help in the warmer temps. It really runs different at 0 celsius than 30 celsius, and has seen both this year.

My only difference is I am using AMSOIL saber at 45:1, reccommended to me bby my dealer.....so far no spooge and it works well. I ran a full bottle of the yamalube first, now this stuff and it is good.

Warm it up good......and after that make sure to clear it once and a while.

3 hours ago, CrakerJak said:

Skip the stock needle, get the NECJ and a 45 pilot and 170 main. Or get a JD kit and call it a day. Im running a 175 main, JD Blue needle second clip, and a 45 pilot on a gnarly pipe and the bike is an animal. Rode at 70 degrees at sea level to 500 feet and the bike was clean bottom to top. No loading, no sputtering, and just a nice black ring on the exhaust tip. I was running Red needle on the third then tried second clip and felt like I was in between where I needed to be, either rich or lean. Called JD and talked, he said try the blue at second clip, and possibly go to 40:1 from my 32:1 HONDA HP2. Didn't have to change mix cause the blue needle fixed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NEGbrap said:

Skip the stock needle, get the NECJ and a 45 pilot and 170 main, and possibly go to 40:1 

this and do the head squish

• Like 2

Your jetting seems about right, but why not try another type of oil? The Yamalube is not really the best choise out there... Also if you're not riding motocross then try using less oil in your premix such as 40:1, This is still plenty enough oil for long engine life and if you are getting spooge it may just be that the bike is not being ridden hard enough to burn off the extra oil that 32:1 provides.

9 hours ago, kxrob said:

this and do the head squish

Yea KX. Head squish will help as well. I plan on getting the RK TEK head for my yz250x once I'm done buying my new house. Damn lender is all up in my bank accounts and 401K.

14 hours ago, CrakerJak said:

Bike runs great with the exception of a burble off idle

So it's rich at 1/8th throttle. That'll create spooge. As will a wide squish clearance.

To fix the 1/8th burble you could try a leaner #8 slide.

To fix the lean spot at 3/8th throttle with the Yam needle, you could change to a triple taper needle such as the zook NExx or a JD needle.

1 hour ago, numroe said:

So it's rich at 1/8th throttle. That'll create spooge. As will a wide squish clearance.

To fix the 1/8th burble you could try a leaner #8 slide.

To fix the lean spot at 3/8th throttle with the Yam needle, you could change to a triple taper needle such as the zook NExx or a JD needle.

The slide does address 1/8th but at 70 bucks for a slide + $ holder it is the least cost effective part. I skipped it and went straight to the JD kit as it covers much more than 1/8th. So far its been super effective and James will literally answer the phone if you call. He's a bro, he loves dirtbikes, he loves helping.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CrakerJak said:

yz250x and ride exclusively on single track. I am maybe a C rider. Bike is jetted N3CW-2 48 pilot and 175 main riding at 1000'-1500' elevation

You have ideal jetting for your elevation and riding ... in cold temperatures. Go leaner.

Thanks for all advise. I just finished with my last bottle of 2R so I'll try mixing 40:1 with a different oil and look at continuing with the jetting.

I'd suggest Amsoil Interceptor for recreational trail/off-roading.

Even in my high revving MX track ridden YZ125 (which is always re-jetted as per the day's ambiant temp)

got spoogy the moment I experimented with the higher flash point Amsoil Dominator.

"Racing" premix oil isn't necessarily the best choice when your combustion temps aren't high enough to burn off the excess.

• Like 1

I've always ran 50/1 with no issues, when I bought my son's bike the po ran 32/1 but it pumped oil like a factory, switched his to 50/1 also along with dropped jets and so far doesn't have any spooge. We're trail riders that don't hammer all the time.

I use 50:1 in my YZX also, same as in all my orange 2 strokes.... no problems at all. Another idea you could easily try for little cost and effort would be to switch to a #7 heat range spark plug such as a BR7ES, If only riding single track and not really hammering the bike this hotter plug would help to reduce fouling etc..

I just picked up some Amsoil Interceptor and some new plugs (BR8ES). I'll mix at 40:1 and rejet to that. I'll post my results. Hoping for no more fouled plugs and a little crisper off idle.

• Like 1

My best advice is, run it hard on your normal trail/track and pull the plug after 30 min. If it's white your way to hot, if it's black, rich. This plug is border on the rich side! Top and ceramic is the visual.

IMG_20170427_135448591.jpg

On 5/23/2017 at 3:20 AM, kiwi_rider said:

Your jetting seems about right, but why not try another type of oil? The Yamalube is not really the best choise out there... Also if you're not riding motocross then try using less oil in your premix such as 40:1, This is still plenty enough oil for long engine life and if you are getting spooge it may just be that the bike is not being ridden hard enough to burn off the extra oil that 32:1 provides.

No, no, no!  Spooge has nothing to do with pre-mix ratio

YZ250VJetting_zpsdlizomel.jpg

Edited by Spooge
  • Like 1

Just for reference, my YZX runs 30:1 Yamalube 2R. No plug fouling and MINIMAL spooge. Slight wetness at the tip of the silencer but no dripping ever. This is mixed woods riding/slowish mx track riding. Stock head squish, stock carb slide...

As stated above premix ratio is not the problem. If it was I'd have all sorts of goo running 2R at 30:1.

Oil is your engines best friend.

• Like 3

Also, seems to be common for the float height to be too high as delivered. Mine was for sure...

You can not properly jet a bike with the float too high. It will always be rich.

• Like 2