How to properly ride a 450cc Dirt bike...

Okay... So... I have ridden now for probably four or five years, yesterday on my 16th birthday I got spoiled rotten from my family and I was gifted A 2017 CRF450R. I was just wondering what the differences are like from a 2 stroke... The biggest bike I have owned before was a 125cc two stroke. I have ridden a 450 and a 250f and decided I liked it. That's how i ended up with it.. So I only really know stuff from 2 strokes, like changing gears.. What kind of noise am i looking for? Any tips when hitting jumps? Corners? Please just any and all information is helpful Thank you. 

You're going from a 125 to a 450? First I'd invest in some good protective gear. And invest in suspension work to get the bike to fit you or it will be all over the place. Good luck bro

• Like 1

There is a very big difference between riding a 125 2T and a 450 4T.  You absolutely have to respect the 450 throttle :prof:.  You can get into trouble quickly if you don't.

The 450 will not corner as easily as the 125, so at first, you may not want to carry the same speed that you're used to until you get the feel of it.  But, you can lug it around a motocross track in 3rd gear without really having to shift, which is nice.

Engine braking will also be VERY different from the 125, so be careful on jumps.  If you chop the throttle on a jump face, you could wind up with the front end dangerously low.  Smooth, steady throttle application on the run up to a jump is key while you're getting comfortable on it.

Have fun and take it slow at first!

2 hours ago, BLSJDS said:

There is a very big difference between riding a 125 2T and a 450 4T.  You absolutely have to respect the 450 throttle :prof:.  You can get into trouble quickly if you don't.

The 450 will not corner as easily as the 125, so at first, you may not want to carry the same speed that you're used to until you get the feel of it.  But, you can lug it around a motocross track in 3rd gear without really having to shift, which is nice.

Engine braking will also be VERY different from the 125, so be careful on jumps.  If you chop the throttle on a jump face, you could wind up with the front end dangerously low.  Smooth, steady throttle application on the run up to a jump is key while you're getting comfortable on it.

Have fun and take it slow at first!

Yea... I know all about the power difference.. And I know how crazy it sounds going from a 125 2T to a 450 4T but in the past year I have gained a lot of weight from working out and am now almost 6'4'' i am also about 320lbs... No i'm not obese I am just very large and work out A LOT.. And I have ridden a 250 4T The original plan was for me to get one of those first and get comfortable with it. But The past few months I put on weight again and feel like a 450 would be more appropriate. Any other tips you can give?

I'm 5 11, 170, and ride a 450, and personally it actually works the best if you control the back tire with clutch, you can ride it lazy in 3rd around the track, or you can bang it in 3rd around the track with the clutch. I raced a 125 till i was 33, im 48 now. for every place on the track you were looking for a lower gear on the 125, you can now tap the clutch or just roll on the throttle. lol. a 125 can feel abusive if you ride it correctly, but a 450 will be going much faster with much less effort. A 450 will make you have faster lap times, but so will everybody else in your class. dont forget your fundamentals you learned on your 125, apparantly you are big and strong enuf, so momentum into the corners will still be your best friend, controlled entry will result in a BADASS exit .  and you WILL overjump every jump you were working to clear earlier... show us some pics or video. I wanna see a boss ride a 450, LOL

16 years old, 6'4", 320 lbs of muscle - you should think about a pro football career :D.

If you haven't done so already, DEFINITELY get the correct springs for your weight.  The OEM springs are for someone almost half your size ha ha.

Otherwise - just take it easy initially.  You'll feel the differences right away and naturally start making the adjustments in your riding style.

Set up the suspension and go ride. I went from a 125 four stroke to a 450 over ten years ago. Take your time and you'll be fine.

I went up from a 125 2T to a 510cc 4T after being off of two wheels from age 16 to 25.

At 6'2" feet tall, I'm only 160lbs.. and I enjoy every bit of the HP to weight ratio!

I guess I say that to say i can sorta relate and you'll be fine as long as you know they handle differently.

I will suggest considering a larger C/S sprocket until you get used to the electric-like power of your brand new bike.

I did the same thing when I was your age went from a 125 to 450. Your a big kid so you should be able to handle it fine. Just feel the bike out first few rides and learn as you go.