I recently got an old SP 250 on the cheap and got it running.  However now that I've made some progress I'm looking for some/any information on the bike.  When I got it running it had a light tick, so I adjusted the valves .003 intake and .006 exhaust and the tick is even louder I can't find a manual for the SP and I'm even having trouble finding one for the same year DR 250 which has the same engine.  Somewhere in the past someone got creative with the wiring, no idea why and none of the lights work (this is a bike with 6v system) though I had to remove the battery that was in it because someone had used a metal bolt as a plug on the battery - you can imagine what that looked like.  Anyway the way the bike was wired back up, I have to have the key and kill switch set to off.... its kind of funny.  But I'm having a bit of a challenge tracing the wiring without a schematic or unwinding the harness.  Any help or guidance at all would be appreciated.  

Beliw is a link to a YouTube video of the bike running.

1982 SP 250 alive!

IMG_5352.JPG

IMG_5353.JPG

not too sure about the ticking, my DR400 has a lighter tick too. As for the electrical I can scan the DR or SP400 (has the headlight 6V) electrical, it is probably not too different.

What oil thickness are you running? did you changed the oil filter?

here is one for a 125 with issues too

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488322

Edited by Michel
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2017 at 8:58 PM, Michel said:

not too sure about the ticking, my DR400 has a lighter tick too. As for the electrical I can scan the DR or SP400 (has the headlight 6V) electrical, it is probably not too different.

What oil thickness are you running? did you changed the oil filter?

here is one for a 125 with issues too

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488322

10/30 Rotella, new oil filter.  Thanks for the link on the 125 wiring.  The SP was butchered pretty good, of course one of the previous owners either broke or just tossed the connectors though were nice enough to at least leave some of the  male/female pins attached.  LOL. :banghead:

Cleaned / rebuilt carb now it's only starting with choke all the way on.  No air leaks at intake boot, checked with starter fluid while running.  I must have something set wrong. It instantly dies with giving the slightest throttle.

Any suggestions out there?

IMG_5388.JPG

IMG_5389.JPG

IMG_5390.JPG

IMG_5393.JPG

IMG_5394.JPG

IMG_5395.JPG

Anyone know what this is?  I'm not finding it in any of the online parts diagrams small black box with one yellow wire.

IMG_5386.JPG

small back box could be an AC to DC regulator, popular on the XR350 when converting to better headlight system, it comes with the baja design kit, yours is probably a generic.

As for dying up gassing up... usually it is a lean condition due to a plugged passage. Reclean carb and blow small passages with compressed air -the spray can for office use is good enough-

Posted (edited)

how is it running now? I'm finding it really hard to find parts for mine. let alone anyone else with wisdom of this bike. I have the service manual if anyone needs a copy dm me, in the mean time here is a link to the pdf! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7dIFv51FOCbWXI4ajlWRlZFVnc/view?usp=sharing lemme know if it doesnt work....

Edited by PiPi Firecracker
added link for service manual