Sign in to follow this  

Odd electrical situation

So I was riding yesterday and saw my dash flickering/resetting. After I turned off the ignition, then back on, the bike would not start with the button for a second, just nothing on dash or neutral light on. Wiggled ignition key, then everything came back to life long enough to start it, which sounded normal, not slow. Coincidence? The bike ran fine all the way home, but dash kept flickering/resetting. Came out to start again, nothing. checked battery, 10V. Charged battery 3 hours, enough to use for diag I thought, but still tested at 10V from the charger. Put back in, nothing. Started pulling connectors, found that with key on, the dash and indicator lights came on when headlight bulb was disconnected. Simply touching headlight connector to bulb killed power to the dash. Would still not start, battery too low apparently.  Curiously, the battery voltage went up to 11.5V after all my testing, engine was never started.

Pulled connector to stator, tested all three phases, none continuity to ground, about 1.5ohms between the phases. Connecting my jumper pack to main terminals brought bike to life, dash, headlight, everything.

My question is this: Could the battery be internally shorting? It is only about 3 months old, gel, and of a generic brand (TMS). Would this cause the dash of the bike to reset while running, and also keep it from powering the headlight now even when it is at 11.5V? I am guessing it is pushing out so little amps it is unable to power much of anything, but the 11.5 volts to me should be enough in a healthy battery to at least run a 9003 bulb. Thanks in advance!

10V after charging disconnected from anything? It's dead! If charger is ok.

How many V when charging? How many V on battery terminals when the dash dies from connecting the bulb?

11.5V when disconnected?

Normally disconnected should show >12V, when charging, around 14V +/-, when turning engine with starter shouldn't drop much below 10V. 

If charging Voltage is too low it's probably charger/charging system fault, others for charged battery = battery fault. 

Your battery is shot.A healthy battery will measure 12.7v or better at rest.A new battery usually 13v or so.With the bike at idle you should get at least 13.5v or better (14 - 14.4v) if it's charging well.

Found the problem after some testing. As I suspected, battery shorted/came apart internally, showed good voltage with multimeter but as soon as a load was added, dead. While running, charging voltage was 6.3V with battery connected. This is what was resetting my dash I presume. New battery installed, charging voltage normal.

• Like 1