Abandoned Bike, NEED HELP to recover

Hello Thumpertalk,

As a long time lurker, I always assumed my first post would be asking for help, but not like this. I was out riding in the trails area near Emerling Community Park, near Cove Run Road. I went in to go explore, and got stranded with what I assume was a dead battery after multiple failed hill climb attempts. Before my battery died, I was faced with three possible directions to go in, but none of them looked simple. After the battery died, I was able to find my way south and out of the trail network, but I was forced to leave the bike behind. I hiked up a large hill climb with deep ruts on each side. I plan on mounting a rescue operation tomorrow with backup after the ground dries out a bit, however I am without direction as to if this is the easiest or most efficient path out of the woods.

Guidance would be most appreciated. Is this my only way out, or is there an easier path after I trek through the mud?

Google Maps (satellite view) might help you find an alternate path depending on how heavy the tree cover is. You could map a couple possible routes from your computer and hike one or two of them on the way in to see which is best.

Also, are you sure it's the battery that's giving out? A couple of other possible common failures (at least on the XR650L) are the CDI, kickstand safety switch, and clutch safety switch. I had a kickstand safety switch go intermittently bad on me during some hill climbs and at first it seemed like a battery issue. Good thing is all of these have easy field workarounds but require knowledge and special tools you may not be carrying all the time. May want to read up on your particular bike and have the knowledge and tools with you when you get your bike just in case.

I was able to ride it out with little issue after I brought in backup. As I suspected, I just stalled the engine too many times causing battery failure. My friend brought a jump pack and it fired right up. That hill climb was probably the most gnarly ride I have experienced thus far.

Needless to say, I've learned my lesson. Don't do backwoods shit alone. That, and now I have a legitimate justification for putting a kicker on as a backup.

• Like 2

On 9/13/2017 at 10:54 PM, CMTheBadger said:

I was able to ride it out with little issue after I brought in backup. As I suspected, I just stalled the engine too many times causing battery failure. My friend brought a jump pack and it fired right up. That hill climb was probably the most gnarly ride I have experienced thus far.

Needless to say, I've learned my lesson. Don't do backwoods shit alone. That, and now I have a legitimate justification for putting a kicker on as a backup.

Exactly why I bought a WR450... Kickstarter to back up the elect!

Learn how to ride....you should not be stalling it so much that you kill the battery......🤓