FCR question

OK folks the FCR is in and running,  I must say it actually runs like it should from the factory?  I used DOT-COMs jetting since we live in similar areas and frankly it seems to be damn near perfect, So thanks for doing the hard work scientifically for the jetting DOT-COM! .  The stock bolt on intake adapter that came with my carb works perfect.  It is almost identical carb width inlet to outlet face as the cv carb.  it looks like it is not seating all the way in the pictures but the cv carb adapter surface in only about 3/8" deep vs the FCR one being about 3/4".  It goes all the way into the airbox boot and seals perfectly with good overlap.

I ended up using the stock cables, I just had to run out the adjusters.  I will get the longer cables anyways since I like the factory look but you absolutely can make your stockers work dependably.

I had a R&D float bowl with adjustable leak and adjustable fuel screw that I never used for my crf 450 last year,   so over all it is a pretty bling set up and SUPER EASY to adjust.  I know it will disappoint some but I like it..lol 

My jetting is

41mm FCR-mx

Main 158

Pilot 42   (2 turns out with screw)

Main air 200

pilot air 100

R&D float with adjustable leak, I have it set to squirt about 1 second.  (will play with that and see if there is anything better, but it works good now)

NCVT needle 2nd clip from top

Uni foam filter

De snorkled

Yoshimura Slip on

Stock head pipe

Desmogged

I did not do anything with trying to make the choke cable hook to the FCR's choke,  I just tucked it up a long the frame.  I figure I will remove the next time I have the tank off.  Over all the fcr makes the bike have the throttle response it should have already.  Now it will be no issue blipping the throttle to get the front tire over a log without using the clutch.  Wheelies in first and second are a snap now with no clutch.

I did do the daves mods first even though I had ordered the FCR already.  I had the jets, washer and the curiosity to see what the differences would be from stock to daves mods to FCR and I am glad I did.  It was fun seeing the gradual improvements.  And to all wondering, well the daves mod is hard to beat for the amount of money you spend. And heck it is a must have over stock at the very least to make it run decent and not so crazy lean ,  But if you want that snap when you whack the throttle there is no replacement for a pumper carb.

?  If anyone needs a NEW NOSS adapter for their FCR swap I have one for cheap.  let me know ? 

If you like the thought of not running the noss adapter you can get the latest version of the FCR mx like in the link.  There are many air horn adapters made for it but you don't need any if you get the one like is in the link.  I am sure you can find used as well

http://www.frankmxparts.com/epages/62910900.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62910900/Products/1619

Good luck with your swap and let me know if you have any questions.

20170522_172308.jpg

20170527_112604.jpg

20170527_112631.jpg

• Like 2

Guess you guys didn't see this.  I did a write up a few years back, using a 3D printed intake adapter.  I still have the original prototype on my bike, still going strong.  Below is the link for the wiki article.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/articles/complete-guide-to-installing-fcr-mx-on-a-xr600-r343/

A friend mine still prints the adapter. You can email him at gregorylannan@gmail.com

Happy modding... The FCR wakes up this bike like no other single mod I have ever done.

Edited by jtf1307tie
  • Like 3

This mod has nothing to do with all out performance, it is strictly about throttle response. This makes the bike rideable IMO..

A high compression piston won't do a darn thing for the lack of a accelerator pump ? the pumper carb is dramatic in the difference it makes and I got what I was looking for?. The xr650l  is still a pig any way you cut it

All out power levels, well I debated just getting a husky 701and call it done, but didn't want to spend double and wanted the simplicity when I go bash in the forest ?

• 2 years later...

On 5/27/2017 at 12:21 PM, Pat4wd said:

OK folks the FCR is in and running,  I must say it actually runs like it should from the factory:)  I used DOT-COMs jetting since we live in similar areas and frankly it seems to be damn near perfect, So thanks for doing the hard work scientifically for the jetting DOT-COM! .  The stock bolt on intake adapter that came with my carb works perfect.  It is almost identical carb width inlet to outlet face as the cv carb.  it looks like it is not seating all the way in the pictures but the cv carb adapter surface in only about 3/8" deep vs the FCR one being about 3/4".  It goes all the way into the airbox boot and seals perfectly with good overlap.

I ended up using the stock cables, I just had to run out the adjusters.  I will get the longer cables anyways since I like the factory look but you absolutely can make your stockers work dependably.

I had a R&D float bowl with adjustable leak and adjustable fuel screw that I never used for my crf 450 last year,   so over all it is a pretty bling set up and SUPER EASY to adjust.  I know it will disappoint some but I like it..lol 

My jetting is

41mm FCR-mx

Main 158

Pilot 42   (2 turns out with screw)

Main air 200

pilot air 100

R&D float with adjustable leak, I have it set to squirt about 1 second.  (will play with that and see if there is anything better, but it works good now)

NCVT needle 2nd clip from top

Uni foam filter

De snorkled

Yoshimura Slip on

Stock head pipe

Desmogged

I did not do anything with trying to make the choke cable hook to the FCR's choke,  I just tucked it up a long the frame.  I figure I will remove the next time I have the tank off.  Over all the fcr makes the bike have the throttle response it should have already.  Now it will be no issue blipping the throttle to get the front tire over a log without using the clutch.  Wheelies in first and second are a snap now with no clutch.

I did do the daves mods first even though I had ordered the FCR already.  I had the jets, washer and the curiosity to see what the differences would be from stock to daves mods to FCR and I am glad I did.  It was fun seeing the gradual improvements.  And to all wondering, well the daves mod is hard to beat for the amount of money you spend. And heck it is a must have over stock at the very least to make it run decent and not so crazy lean ,  But if you want that snap when you whack the throttle there is no replacement for a pumper carb.

?  If anyone needs a NEW NOSS adapter for their FCR swap I have one for cheap.  let me know :) 

If you like the thought of not running the noss adapter you can get the latest version of the FCR mx like in the link.  There are many air horn adapters made for it but you don't need any if you get the one like is in the link.  I am sure you can find used as well

http://www.frankmxparts.com/epages/62910900.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62910900/Products/1619

Good luck with your swap and let me know if you have any questions.

20170522_172308.jpg

20170527_112604.jpg

20170527_112631.jpg

Hey folks,  old thread but figured it was worth bringing it back as I just installed a new FCR (just like above)in my newest xr650l.  Everything is identical and it runs fantastic.  Just want to throw some more kudos out there to DOT-COM for doing the research and sharing his hard work. If you want a good starting point or have similar mods and elevation these above specs rock.  

Edited by Pat4wd

Hey folks,  old thread but figured it was worth bringing it back as I just installed a new FCR (just like above)in my newest xr650l.  Everything is identical and it runs fantastic.  Just want to throw some more kudos out there to DOT-COM for doing the research and sharing his hard work. If you want a good starting point or have similar mods and elevation these above specs rock.  

Where did you get your NCVT needle from? Did it have the clip on top like the newer crf 450 needles?

That’s funny, I found it on partzilla as a Honda and Kawasaki part but couldn’t find it in the Yamaha carbs lol.

I’m assuming they are all the same?
I wish there was a needle chart for the oem spec needles.

Jetsrus sells the nelt needle which is supposed to be similar to the NCVT.

I’ve heard it’s something about a dual taper with the oem needles.