Sign in to follow this  

09 Honda CRF450R hard clutch!!

I have a 09 crf 450r that I got recently; I had an 06 crf450x before I got my 09 r. I noticed the clutch is extremely hard to pull. Requiring 2 fingers minimum, nothing like my crfx. It has the stock perch and cable, the previous owner said no work had been done on it and had barely been ridden. Wondering what you guys think? I've tried adjusting the clutch to lighten the pull but had no success. Also noticed that when in gear and the clutch lever pulled in the bike won't roll. Maybe settings too tight? Thanks!!

Set your lever play to 1/8" and change the cable. Make sure to lube the cable first. Make sure your pivot bolt isn't too tight and clean the perch & lever. Cheap stuff first.

• Like 1

I can't think of anything inside the clutch assembly itself that would make it harder then normal to pull, Either the cable is dirty and needs cleaned out or check the routing of the cable itself! Also as Hrc said you need some freeplay! Does the bike jump forward when your sitting on it and put it into gear when the clutch is engaged?

• Like 1

I can't think of anything inside the clutch assembly itself that would make it harder then normal to pull, Either the cable is dirty and needs cleaned out or check the routing of the cable itself! Also as Hrc said you need some freeplay! Does the bike jump forward when your sitting on it and put it into gear when the clutch is engaged?

I cleaned out the cable before going to Hollister. I'll have to check if it jumps forward. Didn't notice but I'll dbl check!!

Just now, Pendi11B said:

I cleaned out the cable before going to Hollister. I'll have to check if it jumps forward. Didn't notice but I'll dbl check!!

Hows the routing of the cable look? A bad routed cable can cause nightmares with the clutch pull!

Heres mine, nice smooth and no kinks or pressure against it.20170523_162229.thumb.jpg.fbc0837fa0689abbcc6804d2a7fa0987.jpg20170523_162215.thumb.jpg.4f2a2cd7b1187af2bb28cd026a831fd1.jpg20170523_162205.jpg.68c3ab1fc8de77940de365966a02632d.jpg

IMG_1765.JPGIMG_1766.JPGIMG_1767.JPGIMG_1769.JPG

The route is crazy!!