Trail bike cr250 or yz250

I'm looking to build a 2 stroke trail bike. I have my eye on two bikes right now a 2001 cr250 and a 2002 yz250 both bikes are stock. I'm willing to spend $1000-2000 over sometime on getting either bike setup up for trails. Which one would you go with and why? Or what makes one better then the other for this type of build. I have never been on a Honda 2stoke.

Tit for tat in my opinion, you'll probably get a lot of different opinions though. If possible, I would check them both out in person and see which feels better and is in better shape. I've personally preferred Yamahas over Hondas but there are plenty of die-hard Honda guys out there.

Maybe price the mods that you're wanting to do and see what the difference is if you have a plan in mind. My .02

(EDIT: If it were me, I would just spend the extra money to just buy a newer nicer bike, instead of putting money into an older one. The bike you could get for 3-4000 instead of buying one for 1k and dumping 2k into it, would be a lot better) 

Edited by 3ackary87
Afterthought

The problem is I don't have the money right now for anything nicer. I know I want a 2 stroke and coming off a 02 ktm300 I know I don't wont another ktm unless it was newer and I couldn't afford that.

Between the Honda and the Yamaha I would definately go with the Yamaha myself. It's not that I don't think the Honda cr250 was a great bike because it was. But they still make the Yamaha yz250 and parts are abundant and cheap. There is just a lot more after market stuff for the yz250 to make it a great trail bike. Parts for the cr250 could be come hard to find. 

• Like 1

Yz250 parts are unlimited and extremely easy to find, use eBay. I practically made a yz125 (02) for $1500 everything but frame cases and suspension where rebuilt( also got e.g. 144 kit. I can imagine the yz250's should be just as cheap. 

So far I got $2500 and a 125 I know I could sell for around $1600. I know at $4000 range I could probably get something fuel injected, I'd still have to do all the mods to it (more money) and I'd rather not sell the 125. It's a good clean running bike and I'd like to keep it for family and friends to ride. I know a trail bike sounds ideal but having owned a wr450, drz400e, ktm300, and ridden a friends crf450x I feel the weight is just too much to wrestle for the types of rocky single track I ride, e-start is nice but I don't need it and headlight/taillight ya never used them. I know it doesn't make sense but I'd rather ride modded mx bike off track then trail bikes.

Well I found a bike and will be picking it up tomorrow. A 2010 rmz250 fuel injected for $2700 got full exhaust and auto clutch im pretty exited never had a fuel injected bike or auto clutch. And I get keep the 125, win.

Nice! You got a much better bang for your buck with that deal, imo.

I think a decade's worth of modernization is going to surpass any amount of mods you'd be putting into an older bike.

Thanks man only downside is not one company makes a aftermarket over sized tank for it(stock is 1.6 gallon), looks like I'm gonna have to pack around a big ass msr can. that and I'm gonna need a new seat asap it was his wifes bike so he cut it down.

Oh hell yeah dude, I'm stoked for you! It looks like youre ready to huck off a ramp and bust out a seat grab with the foam cut down like that lol 

I know they make larger gas tanks for the 450's, it seems like there would be some out there for your bike but I haven't looked. A new seat is a cheap mod compared to what you'd probably have had to do to make the older bikes feel relevant. The Yoshi's are pretty sick too. My best friend still has an '08 RMZ 250 and it handles just as good as Suzukis are notorious for-i think it'll be good for your trail riding

• Like 1