Hi, this is my first post on TT! I recently traded my PS4 for a 1998 KX250 with a "broken shift lever" the bike was unable to start due to it being freezing cold and stuck in gear. The reason the shift lever was broke was because the splines were completely worn. So right away, I bought a new shift lever. The old one was a bitch to get off as he had snapped the end of the bolt off to tighten the lever to the shift shaft. I ended up using a pickle fork to pry it off. Bit anyway. After putting on a nice, new shift lever, I was ready to get it running, only to unable to get it into neutral. Which wasn't really an issue. I figured I'd just bump start it. After several attempts, it didn't start, but I got it into neutral. After getting it into neutral, I couldn't get it back into gear. It just clicks about 7 times up or down and nothing happens. Now, I am able to get it in and out of gear, but only by clicking it randomly up and down so many times. I have no idea what gear it's going into, and it has no pattern. I already have the bike mostly tore apart. I plan on splitting the cases, I am just curious if someone can help me diagnose the issue, before I split the cases. Possibly worn shift forks?

IMG_20170426_235655.jpg

Don't to shift it unless the rear wheel is spinning. 

You're going to need to split the cases to find the issue. It's not hard, but you will need a steering wheel puller and a couple of parallels to get it done. 

6 hours ago, crypto666 said:

I have a 99 trans in a cardboard box with forks and drum.  

I bought some forks and drum off eBay thinking that might be the problem. If I need and other parts I can let you know

Normally something is broken either on the clutch cover side, our jammed in the transmission side. I just finished with a kdx that broke its kips centrifugal pin, and lodged in the shifting drum on the transmission side.

Also, if the clutch is rusted/frozen, shifting will be obviously difficult, until the clutch is out of the equation.

Turning the rear wheel takes the stress of the components as they mesh at the shift dogs.