SXF 450 quick throttle

I am having problems twisting the throttle to the max without regripping (which is very hard for me since I am used to always have one finger on the brake lever). I never had the problem (never had to regrip) on KXF450 so I do not understand what could be the reason? Are the handlebars lower on SXF or do they have different shape? Is the grip diameter different (smaller) on the KTM?

Anybody have the same problem? Solutions?

I have installed the black cam and now I am thinking about modifying the black cam even further..making it even shorter but I am afraid that this will make the bike jumpy at small throttle openings...

• Like 1

I have had the same problem on my 250F and solved it with the Motion Pro Rev2 throttle.  It comes with 5 different spools.  The largest, quickest turning one allows me to fully open the throttle without regripping.  I shudder to think what that would be like on a 55+ hp 450 though.  For a 450 a non-linear cam might be the hot setup but I doubt you'll find one that is quick turn also.  I expect that throttle by wire will eventually make it to the dirt bike world and that might allow setting throttle rotation and mapping butterfly opening for that rotation.  IMO, the throttle is the most overlooked performance part on a motocross bike.  

Edited by Float
  • Like 3

I'm interested in this topic as well.  I injured my wrist last year and have limited range of motion.  I also use the black cam, but I would definitely be interested in a shorter travel cam for the ODI throttle tube if it exists. I'm considering modifying the existing one as well to increase its diameter slightly to reduce the travel to full throttle. 

• Like 1

I have similar issues with my 2017 450 but don't want the 20% quick turn. I can see myself in a smelly heap with this monster. I talked with the guys at G2 about a nonlinear to a quick turn for the 450. They initially agreed to it but soon backed off. Don't blame them, they run a business.
Hoping more folks are interested in nonlinear cam that keeps the mellow initial turn to a more aggressive to get the full turn without having to regrip. I'm sure the G2 guys figure they can make a a return on their investment, they would be more interested in doing this.

I have similar issues with my 2017 450 but don't want the 20% quick turn. I can see myself in a smelly heap with this monster. I talked with the guys at G2 about a nonlinear to a quick turn for the 450. They initially agreed to it but soon backed off. Don't blame them, they run a business.
Hoping more folks are interested in nonlinear cam that keeps the mellow initial turn to a more aggressive to get the full turn without having to regrip. I'm sure the G2 guys figure they can make a a return on their investment, they would be more interested in doing this.

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a 3D printer! If using the ODI snap on cam, making a custom
3D printed one would be EASY! I'll bet someone has done this. Even better someone that works with a CNC machine, make an aluminum cam for your G2...little after work project. [emoji57]

On 5/24/2017 at 3:36 PM, Swappa said:

Motion pro is a really good recommendation. They are built tough and the kit comes with various cams for tuning.

Also, search rollon lightning, G2 ergonomics for other options.

There is also a lot of youtube content on DIY quick throttles. Be very careful if you DIY.

Thanks for the tip, I just ordered a rollon lightning quick turn with a 15% reduction.  I'll post back in here with my thoughts when I have a chance to test it out.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip, I just ordered a rollon lightning quick turn with a 15% reduction.  I'll post back in here with my thoughts when I have a chance to test it out.

Very interested to hear back on this one. The 60 one looks interesting. Looks like it helps with whiskey throttle but gives a shorter twist.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a PM looking for my impression of the throttle tube I ordered a little while back, so I'll post my reply here as well.  This is in reference to the Rollon Lightning quick turn throttle with a 15% reduction for my 2016 KTM Factory Edition, part number 16KTML: 

"I just had a chance to ride with the Rollon Lighting throttle tube yesterday and I like it a lot.  The difference isn't extreme which is what I was worried about, so the bike is still easily controllable.  I was worried it would make it too easy to whisky throttle my 450, but instead it just helps me reach the correct throttle position in any given situation a little earlier, which is really nice.  

I have pretty limited movement in my right wrist so normally after a day of riding my wrist is really sore.  Today after riding with the Rollon Lighting throttle tube it's fine.  I'm not sure its a direct result of not having to turn the throttle as much or not, but for the first time in a while I feel pretty good after a day of riding.

Overall for the price I think it was a very worth while mod, the shipping to Canada was a little expensive at $25 US though.  I haven't taken pictures of the full travel with this throttle tube and compared to the gray ODI throttle, but I feel its better for me so far and I'm happy with the product."

• Like 2

That looks like a standard (linear) quicker turn throttle.  The one I posted is a 'Unipro C' that appears to have some non-linear cams and can be adjusted from 50 to 80 degrees of rotation.  I measured my Motion Pro Rev2 with a degree wheel and it is at 55 degrees rotation on my Honda CRF250.  So, if anyone has any experience with the Unipro or wants to cough up $150 to try one, let us know...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...