Exhausts?

2 hours ago, Wxrdyyy said:

I'm all about that noise life on motorbikes. HATE quiet bikes. Curious to know what's the loudest pipe out there? I'm from Australia just a heads up

What?  Sorry, I can't hear you anymore due to accumulated tinnitus and hearing loss.  Doesn't matter though, can't ride on land shut down due to noise complaints.

• Like 2

Gotcha!  I'd say a stock CRF250R muffler is probably up there.  Keep in mind only a narrow window of years from the 250r fit on the 250x.  In may only be 2004-2005.  A FMF Powercore 4 is likely similarly loud.  I don't have any personal experience with any mufflers beyond that.

The old White Brothers exhausts were famously loud - a previous owner put one on an XR250L I later owned - but I'm guessing an FMF without a silencer might be as good a bet as any on a Beta.

Still, do consider your hearing in all seriousness.  I abused mine as a musician in the 80s and 90s and regret doing so now at age 50. You can't undo cumulative hearing loss without expensive and experimental means.

You may ride on your family's properly but have some consideration for them

(and neighbors) as they may not all the have the same appreciation in loud noises.

A 4-stroke engine's lower frequencies carry very far versus 2-strokes (problem for many MX tracks),

there's also a difference between a 'good sounding' and a loud bike.

A quieter bike may allow you to explore new/more riding areas as well.

Edited by mlatour

2004~2005 model CRF250R exhaust is the cheapest option. Unless you want to just remove your stock silencer and just run the header bike ?

So any 2005 crf250r exhaust will fit my 05 Crf250x?

Just now, Wxrdyyy said:

So any 2005 crf250r exhaust will fit my 05 Crf250x?

Yes. 2004 as well. From 2006 onward, the CRF250R started introducing changes and many parts stopped being compatible with the 250X.

A loud exhaust can be very tiring on a long ride, a quiet exhaust allows you to hear other noises from your bike and its surroundings. 

Also OEM resonance chamber mufflers are very difficult to improve on for power.  I've done tests on my CRF250X using aftermarket mufflers and R headers, and for trail riding I'm back to stock exhaust.  I've also done back to back comparison tests on aftermarket and OEM exhausts on XRs, and OEM was almost always the best for top end; the exception was another OEM resonance chamber muffler from a larger XR with a larger aftermarket header.

10 hours ago, redhurricane said:

When you grow up and miss having good hearing please report back to this thread. 

You gotta protect yourself because nobody else will. My hearing has survived 4 years in the army, many years in a machine shop, and too many loud concerts; I'm not about to lose hearing from a loud dirt bike.  Hearing protection is a fact of life. I also pack ear plugs for concerts and bands, and have never returned to those venues that were too loud.

• Like 1