Removing electric start

If I was to make my bike kick start only what do I need to remove? it's going to be a track only bike so I will doing a full tear down and rebuild,I'm hoping to leave out the battery and make it kick start only,as it is I run a AGM battery which takes up too much space in the KX airbox and since I don't need the electric start it will get the heave ho.

What do people do in regards to the starter motor,remove it completely? I know someone on here years ago removed all electrics in a quest to get down to KX weight but I can't find the thread,am I better off trying to use a complete KX harness rather than trying to delete all the un needed stuff from the KLX harness,ill be removing head light and running a number plate so want as much wiring gone as possible behind the head light.

What's the bare minimum needed to get the bike running,have never had a good look at a KXF so unsure what's needed or whether it's worth trying to delete from the KLX harness,last thing I want to do is render mine useless 

Edited by ozglenn

Sell your klx and buy a kx. There is not enough of a weight difference to justify the work.  Or leave it on and get a small lithium ion anti-gravity battery.  If you remove your starter you would need to Fab a plug. I would not hack up a great bike just to make a good to ok bike.  

• Like 2

Main motivation isn't to get down to KX weight,mainly want the airbox free of the battery,electric start isn't needed but starter motor can stay if it's too much hassle to remove,too much money invested in the bike to sell it although I will investigate further as to what works out cheaper in the long run,whilst a KX would be better I'm rather attached to the KLX.One thing I hate about the Aussie KLX is they made the wiring a real rats nest to get it road legal here and looking for ways to delete what's not needed to keep it neat and tidy.

Has anyone swapped in a KX harness before,they are pretty cheap to buy and the bike will be stripped down anyway so won't be any extra work I'm just out of my depth with electrical,bike will never see the road again so not too worried about cutting up my KLX harness but a KLX harness is hard to buy if I do happen to make a mess of it,if a KX harness will work I would much rather buy one and keep the KLX one intact

Edited by ozglenn

I just gutted the klx harness.  Pretty easy to do.

Have you done the KX head swap?

Yes will be doing the kx head swap,if I am not using the electric start how much of the harness do I need to keep to still have the bike run? Australian bikes are wired differently to the US models and wiring diagrams are hard to come by,I just want the bare minimum of wiring to still have the bike run

I cut the insulation off and removed everything that had anything to do with the speedo and light and wired in just what I needed.  I also color coded the steering head mounted power plugs.  Now, green is my start button, black is my kill switch and white goes to my headlight plug when I decide to install my headlight.  I will get a picture over here if i can find one.

The aussie version is wired differently in regards to the coloured plugs on the steering head,in our spares kit we get here there is seperate start and stop buttons,our model has an all in one switch block,according to the diagram in the workshop manual these seperate buttons plug straight into one of those coloured plugs and should work,but when I did that it still didn't work,I had to splice in to the switch block wiring to get it to work which means Kawasaki Australia re did all of that wiring to work differently than the US models so can get a little fustrating without a diagram to work from,ill just start by tracing all electric start wires backwards and removing what I don't need,how much of the battery area wiring can I get rid of and what needs to stay?

I used to ride a rm250, after a cr250 and than a kx250f but when i got the klx all my problems were gone! Police stand headlight and the magic button. I cant believe you are actually thinking of this kxfication... my opinion, Dont remove the starter or the headlight or the battery or change the wiring or do anything. Get a newer efi kx450f model that is faster on the track and get a 16 litres tank for the klx. You will have the best for both worlds. 

A few of the reasons I am doing this is

1.I am going to end up losing my licence riding on the road,the bike wants to and deserves to be ridden hard,can only do this at the track,I am losing the desire to ride on the road

2.I'm not looking to kxify the bike,just going to be removing anything I don't need to be on the bike,I have always dreamed of rebuilding the bike and have it looking the way I want to be,got inspiration from someone on here who pulled their bike apart and powdercoated the frame and made everything new again,I want to do a back to bare frame strip down and also getting inspiration from what crazyal is doing currently,the aussie version has such messy wiring and I want this bike looking as neat as possible and stuff like extra wiring and electric start and headlight are all stuff I just don't need,I can't afford to have two bikes as much as I would like to and I'm attached to the KLX so I will turn this into the bike I want

A while back you said your bike would never see dirt again, now you say it will not see street again. Why would you want to make it pretty and have a couple less wires under the plastic where no one can see? 

Have had it on the streets for about a year now and I am lucky to still have a licence,I would get more enjoyment out of it if I rode track days and eventually race it,to be honest I would much rather be on the dirt but I can't so I make the best of what I have,it's not about just removing a few wires that no one will see,I like tinkering with the bike and a frame up rebuild is something I want to do,re fitting stuff that doesn't need to be on there for track days makes no sense,if I wasn't doing a full strip down then I wouldn't bother trying to strip the harness down or remove electric start etc,I like to be a perfectionist and it bothers me looking at the bike and knowing it's not how I like it,when riding on the dirt I held that at bay as you can't be too anal about how clean the bike is when it's just going to be dirty again but as a motard that doesn't get dirty having a nicely detailed bike is much easier to do and maintain,it's a perfect opportunity to build it to a standard ill be happy with

a few near misses with cops and two tickets,we don't get many demerit points here and I need my licence for work,for those that have ridden motards you will know how easy it is to get in trouble,I'm getting to an age where I need to satisfy my urge for speed on the track

I got an XR650 in 1993 and got two wheelie tickets the first year. I also have a 2014 690 Enduro R. It is really hard for me to ride these bikes with both wheels on the ground.

• Like 3

here in greece police only stops those that dont have a licence plate and insurance. no problem with wheelies or exhaust or speeding or anything else especially in the islands.. if you have the paperwork than you are fine!

european klx are actually plated in italy from kl, and their electrics are shit too.. like having a kxf and they put a parallel wiring for the controls and the lights. also the italian technicians are either too lazy or working on a really tight budget because everything looks so low quality. but it works!!

i used to feel the same when i was younger and i used to say i will never buy an enduro only mx but now i see how wrong i am. so if i were you and decided to go on with the starter headlight battery removal, i would try to damage the wiring as little as i can because one day you might want to go back to the platted side of things. i still think your best bet is buying a used kxf450 08 model that are really cheap, the have big compression kasima coating harder suspension and opened airbox. 

the best thing about the klx, is that after a long afternoon in the mountain i can return relaxed because i am fully legal and there is no need for a trailer

• Like 1

Yeh I can see where you are coming from but I have no desire to ride this on the road anymore so very confident I won't need it registered again,in saying that I won't be butchering the wiring and everything I do will be reversable,as for buying an 08 KX450 my bike is only a cylinder head away from KX performance,already have KX airbox and suspension is already set up for supermoto,the battery takes up all the room in the airbox which is why I will remove it and I won't need electric start,the only major changes will be deleting some wiring from the harness and swapping to a KX front number plate,side stand removal and changing to slicks,the rest of the bike is already set up.The most work ill be doing is stripping the bike down bare so I can powder coat the frame and swing arm etc,what doesn't need to go back on won't and ill be adding some stuff that rules dictate must be there and taking stuff off that the rules dictate shouldn't be there,if I buy a KX I will lose most of the money I have sunk into the KLX so far,they do not sell very well here at all especially minus all the mods I have done to it