Sign in to follow this  

Beta 500 Countershaft Seal. Any upgraded seals?

All,

My seal started leaking. I've read several threads about others leaking as well. Does anyone have a part number to a better seal than the factory one? I've read some KTM seals also work. Any help would be appreciated.

And clean out fresh grass as it makes the shaft rust.

3 hours ago, jamve said:

All,

My seal started leaking. I've read several threads about others leaking as well. Does anyone have a part number to a better seal than the factory one? I've read some KTM seals also work. Any help would be appreciated.

I replaced my original seal with the one the dealer had as a replacement. It was a different design and much better than what came in the bike. It has been leak free so far.

I wish I'd taken pictures, but I'll try to describe. The original seal had a metal body/face with rather short seal lips, kinda orange in color if I recall. The replacement was more your typical all black with a rubber face over the metal body and longer seal lips. It's the same type of seal I've seen on most modern bikes, I don't know where that original seal came from, it looked like something out of the '60s. I'm thinking they had a bin full of them that got slapped on the bikes during production, not sure. But I'd say the replacement I got from the dealer was a high quality seal and is working fine so far, no leaks at all. 

Hi DanK.

My friend had a leaky counter shaft seal, so we took it back to the dealer. Got to talking to the mechanic while replacing the seal and the o'ring.

Told us he put a larger diameter o'ring which is the upgraded one.

Eddy

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  The dealer is a long drive for me. I made an appt for Friday to get this looked at. Hopefully the parts they get will be the upgraded parts.

Any bearing supply house should have better quality seals and probably at a better price.

Hi DanK.
My friend had a leaky counter shaft seal, so we took it back to the dealer. Got to talking to the mechanic while replacing the seal and the o'ring.
Told us he put a larger diameter o'ring which is the upgraded one.
Eddy

Good to know. I didn't replace the O-ring this time but next time will try to get the updated one.