Sign in to follow this  

Rally Raid Foam Filter Conversion Kit?

I am using the UNI foam filter with good success.  The only down side is the dark color, but it seems to stay pretty clean.  I am also using the EVO1 cage which I would attribute to the slight increase in intake noise.

I wanted a better sealing, foam filter and this fit the need.  I had dust passing through the stock paper setup, that has not been the case since I switched.  Twin Air did not have an offering at the time, but I do like that design.

uni690filter.jpg

evo1 cage.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

So, the  EVO1 cage can be run with pretty much any filter set up, such as the Twin Air design? I'd be ok with a slight increase in intake noise, just trying to avoid something obnoxious.

Yep, it fits in place of the stock cover with the same fit up at the filter.  It has a lip the fits over the recessed edge of the filter and has a pretty tight seal.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MotoX178 said:

Yep, it fits in place of the stock cover with the same fit up at the filter.  It has a lip the fits over the recessed edge of the filter and has a pretty tight seal.

Ok with stock mapping?

1 hour ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Ok with stock mapping?

I did not run it long without a remap, but it seemed to run normal at the time.  I eventually remapped with EVO1 map since I did the exhaust and emissions removal as well, but my bike is a 2012.  Unfortunately the 2014+ bikes have locked ECU's, however the 15 minute idle reset is said to work well, but I do not have experience with them.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2017 at 8:27 AM, MotoX178 said:

I am using the UNI foam filter with good success.  The only down side is the dark color, but it seems to stay pretty clean.  I am also using the EVO1 cage which I would attribute to the slight increase in intake noise.

I wanted a better sealing, foam filter and this fit the need.  I had dust passing through the stock paper setup, that has not been the case since I switched.  Twin Air did not have an offering at the time, but I do like that design.

uni690filter.jpg

evo1 cage.jpg

I bought the KTM orange version of that. It's a bit tall (bottom of foam touches bottom of airbox) but seems to work very well. Since it touches the bottom there is filter oil there. I grease between the filter and airbox and use the stock lid. Almost all the airflow goes through forward pod which makes sense. Better but not perfect.

The knurled ferrules in the airbox that accept the cover screws pulled out on mine. I bought some 10mm threaded rod, drilled and tapped through the center for the 6mm screws, and drilled and threaded the airbox 10mm for the new bushings. This was better and pretty close to perfect. Not my idea, I picked it up somewhere. 

• Like 1

I rode some rather nasty, dusty conditions on Monday on the stock air filter. Good ol' central FL sand. So little rain the last few months, it's powder dry.

20170529_095846[1].jpg

I was a little nervous checking the inside of the airbox last night, but relieved to find it very clean. I've heard so many stories about poor sealing airboxes. Maybe KTM/Husky improved this on the 2017s? Still replacing the paper filter with the Twin Air oiled foam for good measure. Should have it any day now...

On 5/23/2017 at 8:51 AM, Bryan Bosch said:

I put one on my 16 KTM 690 and my Brothers 13 690. Huge power gain!!! I sealed the plate as per instructions and went for a ride. Its was dusty but I wheely'd right thru the dust. With the lid off it makes a kinda of Honk noise from airbox but oh well. I checked it after dusty ride and zero dust inside of box. Great improvement for the $$$$$

• Like 1

I ended up installing the drop in Twin Air filter. I don't expect to notice any changes. The real benefits are serviceability and the ability to deal with wet conditions, something I didn't like about the stock paper unit. In talking with Twin Air, they said for dry, fairly clean conditions, the paper filter actually flows better. If I was purely a tarmac rider I'd likely stick with stock, but for real off-road work, I think the Twin Air will be more beneficial. We'll see. Just installed in late last week and it goes in exactly like stock.

20170601_192825[1].jpg

20170601_192455[1].jpg

20170601_193551[1].jpg

• Like 1

I wished they would have had the Twin Air when I bought my Australian Uni as I have always been a fan of Twin Air filters. The first time I rode with the Uni was at the Devils Creek D/S ride down there a few years ago and after the ride my airbox was full of that sandy dust. Fortunately, it was also full of oil from over oiling the filter which trapped much of the dust. I have since replaced the Uni with the Rottweiler filter set up. I'll have to tell you out of all the things I have done to my 690 the Rottweiler was the number one thing that transformed the bike from a fun bike to a real fun bike. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brilloman said:

I wished they would have had the Twin Air when I bought my Australian Uni as I have always been a fan of Twin Air filters. The first time I rode with the Uni was at the Devils Creek D/S ride down there a few years ago and after the ride my airbox was full of that sandy dust. Fortunately, it was also full of oil from over oiling the filter which trapped much of the dust. I have since replaced the Uni with the Rottweiler filter set up. I'll have to tell you out of all the things I have done to my 690 the Rottweiler was the number one thing that transformed the bike from a fun bike to a real fun bike. 

I've heard that more than once, so I believe it. A little pricey, but I know it's a nice piece of work. Sometimes you get what you pay for! 👍

• Like 1

Yeah I am thinking the Rottweiler Filter system is probably the way to go. I am on a fixed income right now but I was bite by a dog and expecting a good settlement check. Rottweiler Filter system is on my list! LOL