XL175 kick start shaft repair

Just wondering if anyone has made a successful sleeve repair on one of these. There's a post by wildweasel a number of years ago about using the end of a ke175 shaft and a sleeve.

I see the seal size is 18x29x7, I was thinking of using a piece of 3/4 tubing (chromoly maybe?) and turning down each piece to fit inside. Then going with a 19x29x7 seal to work with the 3/4 (19.05mm) sleeve. I don't know exactly what the inside of the case looks like to know if there would be interference with anything. 

My brother has one that I think he got for a dollar per cc in the early 90's. Shaft was broken at the time. Needs a chain, points, and a new seat cover, but otherwise all there.  Would be nice to get it going again.

• 2 years later...
On 5/24/2017 at 3:20 AM, Jeff74 said:

Just wondering if anyone has made a successful sleeve repair on one of these. There's a post by wildweasel a number of years ago about using the end of a ke175 shaft and a sleeve.

I see the seal size is 18x29x7, I was thinking of using a piece of 3/4 tubing (chromoly maybe?) and turning down each piece to fit inside. Then going with a 19x29x7 seal to work with the 3/4 (19.05mm) sleeve. I don't know exactly what the inside of the case looks like to know if there would be interference with anything. 

My brother has one that I think he got for a dollar per cc in the early 90's. Shaft was broken at the time. Needs a chain, points, and a new seat cover, but otherwise all there.  Would be nice to get it going again.

Can you make xr 175 Kickstarter shafts stronger have got a brand new one I got from honda years.ago about to put it in advice appreciated

I found one on eBay for a not too ridiculous price, so I haven't tried the repair.  I did buy a shaft from an xr200 that I was going to sacrifice.

I've had the bike going for a couple of summers with no issues, I do 'try' to be as easy on it as I can.  I remember reading a post about a loose kickstart lever causing extra stress, that was the suspicion, anyway.