Xtrainer drop in fork upgrade available soon

14 hours ago, Borgschulze said:

So it's just a cartridge to replace the existing one.

I think you can already call a suspension company, such as Push Industries to get them to do this.

That ad seems to indicate external compression adjustment at the bottom end ("foot") of the fork.  Are there suspension companies already doing this or are they just making internal changes with no external adjustment?  

Also, the ad references a K9 spring upgrade as part of the kit.  I wonder if it is the same as the K9 spring on the Boano site - that one says it's for riders in the 242- 264lb range.

For approximately $360 I wouldn't expect miracles, but being able to tune both compression and rebound separately sounds like it might be worth it.

Need more info, a break down or schematics would be nice.

Q' s:

Is it an open or closed cart?

Does it have a tunable midvalve?

Does it have a tunable basevalve?

Does it have an external compression adjuster?

4 hours ago, moto9 said:

Need more info, a break down or schematics would be nice.

Q' s:

Is it an open or closed cart?

Does it have a tunable midvalve?

Does it have a tunable basevalve?

Does it have an external compression adjuster?

The only thing I see in the blurb (weirdly translated) is "compression adjustment cartridge (screw the setting fork in the left foot)". Is that saying that the cartridge has a compression adjuster on the bottom of the left fork leg?

http://www.betamotor.com/it/enduro/parts/bps-k9-fork-kit

Not much information there, just a picture, but maybe you can make some guesses from what you see. 

Edited by Old Plonker

If I get it right, it is an additional cartridge for the cartridge-less fork.

Still If I wanted to own an X-Trainer, I would replace OEM suspension components from new  with other that could justify the term.

I would try to sell OEM....

Edited by dirtbird
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Old Plonker said:

Is that saying that the cartridge has a compression adjuster on the bottom of the left fork leg?

That is what I'm thinking.  I added a compression damper to an old Cannondale Lefty fork about 8 years ago - Installed the assembly at the bottom of the fork which ended up putting the external adjuster knob at the bottom of the fork leg.  Prior to that install, the bottom of the fork leg was just blocked with an allen bolt which I removed completely in order to install the compression damper/adjuster knob.  If I were to guess by looking at the pictures this looks quite similar....but just a guess.

• Like 1

They appear to be replacing the damper cartridge with a better design and bottom bolt with a compression adjuster.

I asked my shop to make a compression adjuster of the same style, they are available for certain other bikes, and they suggested they mod the valving and shim stack but not make a compression adjuster and wait for what beta is introducing. Good thing. What they did to the comp and rebound stacks helped a lot, I can ride around lack of compression adjustment but do prefer it.

Don't be negative guys, this is a great thing.

The K9 spring is the nonsense I don't get. Many of us have re-sprung the bike, don't need a new spring if the old beta springs fit..

Sign me up for this and a fox podium next year or when play budget allows

Has anyone tried this kit yet?  I'd be interested to know how much it helps.  I am running a heavier weight oil and full preload on mine.  It helped it quite a bit but now it's a little harsh and I'm still not confident at speed.

Has anyone tried this kit yet?  I'd be interested to know how much it helps.  I am running a heavier weight oil and full preload on mine.  It helped it quite a bit but now it's a little harsh and I'm still not confident at speed.

Yes, I like it.

The geometry of the bike has more to do with the unsettled feeling at speed than anything. You could put Showa A kit forks on it, it's still never going to win Baja.

https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/1235847-BSP-K9-upgade-first-ride-report

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

One problem I see with this fork after playing with it a little is the lack of true adjustments. You either have a plush forgiving over rocks and roots (as design intent) or you have stiffer front not conforming to the trail. Add in this cartridge and it helps to bridge the gap between the two set-ups. There's been several commenting on the wear of the internals they have been seeing,,, not favorable. Lastly if you have a fork like I had where the threads come out with the axle, nothing helps and any real fix is costly. I have since upgraded to the KYB forks and are a huge improvement just with the little ride around the house. So if you plan on keeping the bike awhile and not interested in going to a RR, a fork swap is worth the money and can be reasonable if you look around for the items rather then a package kit.

The wear makes sense, in a traditional fork with a spring and dampening in each tube the forces are linear with fork travel and put less wear on the bushings. The one spring one damper setup puts constant higher torque forces on the forks and bushings.

In a normal setup the fluid goes through 2 shim stacks vs 1 each for comp and rebound. To make it dampen equivalently it needs stiffer shims, so all the shear forces are increased in the mono damper while the fluid volume exposed to shear and debris is just one fork volume. More wear is absolutely sensible. You are also asking the single stiffer damper to work over a broader range of flow in relation to the force it must produce...so tuning is different and possibly tougher for broad ranges.

So run ATF in the spring leg and change the fork fluid 2x as often in the damper leg .

I like the Buono idea of a dual cartridge system, that should bring wear back. A dual OC setup would be ideal.

Running it like it was designed for it's not such an issue, running enduros exasperates the issues...hence rr models

The wear I was talking about was metal wear from internals. Remember these forks are less expensive to fit the budget. No good hard coat if any is applied.