Taneum closed?

Hey guys,

I've spoken with a couple people who say that Taneum is closed but you can still go riding up there.  I'm reaching out to you guys to find out if I go riding up there this weekend, will I be upsetting the rangers? I know there's still clearing going on on the trails.... Any advise is appreciated as I'm not looking to cause trouble.

Good Question   Taneum is closed until at least June 15.   The good stuff will be well past that because there is soooo much snow.  Rangers are clearing what they can below the snowline.  

Go to www.cleelumtrails.com to find out more or even help out   Cheers 

Thank you coug? Any trouble with riding on the closed trails below the snow-line? The only other place I've ridden is belfair and both times I almost experienced head-on's. Belfair is the last place I'd like to visit on memorial day weekend. 

Everything mtn singletrack related is going to be a good month late this year. Not only trail clearing but trail damage, abnormally high river crossings etc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nthusiastt said:

Thank you coug? Any trouble with riding on the closed trails below the snow-line? The only other place I've ridden is belfair and both times I almost experienced head-on's. Belfair is the last place I'd like to visit on memorial day weekend. 

i think you have answered your question,"closed trails" now if you volunteer on the trail crew you can spend time in the woods and help keep this area open.

• Like 2

Capitol Forest has a lot more vertical than Tahuya so would be more like Taneum than Tahuya, and it is open, several trail heads to chose from, I prefer Rock Candy on the north side. Maps are avail online including smart phone maps. And each year I seem to discover new ST at CF, the latest must have been laid out by walking rather than riding.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, nthusiastt said:

Any "riding on the closed trails" would be full of hassle because of lot's of downed trees and creeks . Report and video i saw from mountain bikers that rode Taneum showed video of trees and huge creek levels , including the northfork creek running right down the trail / over its banks. 

Joe

Edited by trailmeisterjoe
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, nthusiastt said:

Hey guys,

I've spoken with a couple people who say that Taneum is closed but you can still go riding up there.  I'm reaching out to you guys to find out if I go riding up there this weekend, will I be upsetting the rangers? I know there's still clearing going on on the trails.... Any advise is appreciated as I'm not looking to cause trouble.

Do not ride closed trails. You give the rest of us a bad name if you do. Also, there will be plenty of people there and it's not going to fly.

Like Chuck suggested, try Capitol Forest, it's a very fun place to ride and I'm volunteering to be a guide this Saturday and Sunday for anyone that is an intermediate rider or better. It's a long ride of 80-100 miles and has some fun switchbacks, incredible views, access to water and shade, and has some sections that will be fun and challenging. There is a great "flow" to the trails and you'd probably have a very good time. If you or others wanna join up, just let me know.

• Like 2

TigerTank, capital forrest sounds awesome. I've heard good things about it. Would it be cool if a friend and I joined you? We both have small gas tanks though so can't put more than probably 40 miles on the machines. When do you plan to meet Saturday/Sunday. Would love to join your group.

CF has enough trails that you can put a variety of loops together from a few miles on up. So easy to do a 15 mile loop, 20 miles, 30miles, etc,  or 90+ miles.

I like the switchbacks on Twin Peaks trail.  And there is some ST between the Al Davis Trail and around Mt Molly, and some new ST by the C-9000 road.
Out of Rock Candy staging are two nice climbs up to the Army Rd on Rock Candy Ridge, Rock Candy East and North Rim 1 on the map.

I strongly recommend a guide or maps and GPS. Maps are avail at Summit Grocery on Hwy 8 or from DNR for your smart phone. And great weather for this weekend.

Edited by Chuck.

19 hours ago, nthusiastt said:

TigerTank, capital forrest sounds awesome. I've heard good things about it. Would it be cool if a friend and I joined you? We both have small gas tanks though so can't put more than probably 40 miles on the machines. When do you plan to meet Saturday/Sunday. Would love to join your group.

10am sat and sun. Yes, a loop can be made to swing around for gas.  Rock candy parking lot, north side of property, accessed by taking hwy 101 west from Olympia then a few more miles on hwy 8.  

Edited by TigerTanker

Summit Grocery is 3 miles west of the 101 exit to Shelton, on the Wilson Rd exit (for maps, etc). The Rock Candy turn off is a left turn 1.5 miles further on at the Summit Lake Rd and Rock Candy Rd crossroads. Then a short distance on a dirt road, staging is on the right under the power lines.

Tiger, we ended up doing Rock Candy. My buddy had 2 friends that were camping near by and knew the area really well and we got out of the house super late :(... .. Didn't even start the ride until like 11:30. Anyways I did get a bunch of video testing out my new grip/chest mount

Here's a short clip:

I have to

9 hours ago, nthusiastt said:

Tiger, we ended up doing Rock Candy. My buddy had 2 friends that were camping near by and knew the area really well and we got out of the house super late :(... .. Didn't even start the ride until like 11:30. Anyways I did get a bunch of video testing out my new grip/chest mount

Here's a short clip:

I have to ask. Is that gold looking cylinderical object on the left side of your handlebars a res. for a hydraulic clutch? Sorry, had to ask

Little Jeff