Sign in to follow this  

Idle cutting out issues?

It's a 2001 XR250R. New throttle cables. Carb was rebuilt and rejetted over the winter. Runs and starts great. Had it for a good 20 km trail ride on Sunday. Had an issue when I was stopped no throttle. When I turned my handle bars to the left all the way it would cut out and die? I tried some adjustments on the cables with inconclusive results. Is this a cable routing issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Watch the manual decomp mechanism on the right side of the head. The cable may be pulling on the mechanism when you turn the bars to the left, activating the right exhaust and causing it to die.

Ok thanks. I'll go check that right now. I also put a new speedo cable in. So I've been doing a lot of work in that area. Could have screwed something up like that.

TR42 your amazing! You nailed this one right on the head! I unsnapped my number plate and headlight to get a better look. Started it up to watch the cabling. Looked like the decomp cable was stressed when I turned the handlebars (catching on the bottom of the speedo housing). Undid the mounting bolts for the speedo to give it space. Then it didn't die and worked fine! Did a little re-routing for the decomp cable so it wasn't catching. No more cutting out. No more problem. Thanks for the sound advice. Turned out to be an easy fix.