Rear Tire Help-Understanding Sizes

So, some of you already know I laced up an 18" rear rim recently and bought a Shinco 505 Cheater Hybrid tire. I think the problem is that I bought a 120/100-18" tire and I HATE it.. It is so massive in size that it rubs the mud flap that attaches to the bottom of the air filter box, does not corner well at all, and feels like the rear end is rolling on a marshmallow when riding. I tried different air pressures. I tried changing the rear shock settings. Nothing I have tried can convince me to keep the tire. Maybe I just chose the wrong size tire. I can accept that. Now I just need to move forward. I had complete strangers coming up to me asking me why I was running such a massive rear tire. Yes, it is that large. It contacts the silencer when the shock compresses, and darn near contacts the chain. In short, it has to go. It has also effectively changed my gearing. I can't lug it in 3rd gear like I used to.

So, this is where I need help. My factory rear tire was a 110/90-19". I'd like to stay with the same width as the factory tire-which I think means I still need a 110 tire.. I would also like to stay with the same over-all height as the original tire, though I now have an 18" rear rim. With all that said, do I need a 110/90-18? Or a 110/100-18"? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm ordering a new tire tonight. Anyone interested in this Shinco 120/100-18"? It has one ride on it. There are no chunked knobs, and no visible damage anywhere on it. It is just MASSIVE in size. It looks like I could put the original 19" tire INSIDE of it. No, I'm not kidding.

Edited by Kawabuggy

They have a 120/100 on the shelf at the local shop, it is huge for sure. If you had the 110/90-19, you want the 110/100 for your 18" wheel. I did the same size change on my YZ (used a WR450 wheel) with a 110/100-18 Shinko 525 tire, works great. I've not tried a 505 yet, not really convinced of the need for where I ride. I've used trials tires, and after going to the Shinko 524/525 knobby combo, that's where I've stayed. They grip almost as good as a trials tire on the roots, ledges, and slick rock, but have all the attributes of a regular knob on mud, dirt, pea gravel braking, cornering, etc.., and you get all this on both ends, not just the rear.

• Like 2

Thanks OlHbilly.. I just ordered the Dunlop MX32. I know they get terrible reviews, and are now supposedly made in Indonesia, but I've had good luck with them up to this point. They are the only tire I've ever run over the last 8 years.

Still have that Shinco up for grabs for anyone that wants or needs it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kawabuggy said:

So, some of you already know I laced up an 18" rear rim recently and bought a Shinco 505 Cheater Hybrid tire. I think the problem is that I bought a 120/100-18" tire and I HATE it.. It is so massive in size that it rubs the mud flap that attaches to the bottom of the air filter box, does not corner well at all, and feels like the rear end is rolling on a marshmallow when riding. I tried different air pressures. I tried changing the rear shock settings. Nothing I have tried can convince me to keep the tire. Maybe I just chose the wrong size tire. I can accept that. Now I just need to move forward. I had complete strangers coming up to me asking me why I was running such a massive rear tire. Yes, it is that large. It contacts the silencer when the shock compresses, and darn near contacts the chain. In short, it has to go. It has also effectively changed my gearing. I can't lug it in 3rd gear like I used to.

So, this is where I need help. My factory rear tire was a 110/90-19". I'd like to stay with the same width as the factory tire-which I think means I still need a 110 tire.. I would also like to stay with the same over-all height as the original tire, though I now have an 18" rear rim. With all that said, do I need a 110/90-18? Or a 110/100-18"? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm ordering a new tire tonight. Anyone interested in this Shinco 120/100-18"? It has one ride on it. There are no chunked knobs, and no visible damage anywhere on it. It is just MASSIVE in size. It looks like I could put the original 19" tire INSIDE of it. No, I'm not kidding.

I just when from a 19 to 18 rear and got a Shinko 505 110/100-18 and I've only had 2 rides on in at around 10 to 6 PSI and I really like it a lot.

Now the first (110) is the width and I've still got enough clearance side to side that a 120 would not rub on the chain or swing arm.

Then the second (100) is the height and IMO going from your stock  90-19 to a 100-18 should NOT make the tire rub on the mud flap. Do you have your chain the right length and is your rear axle in the middle of the adjusters ?

If the tire is not toughing the chain BUT is rubbing on the inside of the silencer when the rear is compressed, you can pull the silencer out to get more clearance. Mince gets bent in when I occasionally drop the bike on the right side.

Tires are VERY subjective and I MIGHT be interested in your 120 if I can get it to Canada CHEAP :)

Just took these if they help in anyway but its does show the left side chain clearance correctly.

20170523_184621.thumb.jpg.a5e6a09024f9bfc43469fb7064646d87.jpg20170523_184634.thumb.jpg.dec48f479f6b80894faffaa3f7857cce.jpg

I've already ordered a new Dunlop MX32 for the front & rear. The Shinco was rubbing the mud flap at the bottom of the air filter box. Chain is old and worn out as are the sprockets so the rear axle is closer to the rear end of the swing arm, or adjustment hole. Shinco will be gone to the first person that expresses an interest.

The thing I do not like about the Shinco-besides the rubbing-is that the rear end was no longer predictable coming into a hard turn/berm. It's like you would feel the tire giving way-as it rolled on the rim-long before it ever made contact with the berm. Then, it was really difficult to feel when the rear tire was actually in the berm as the tire with it's large sidewall was just too soft & spongy. It never felt to me like the tire was planted, or hooked up. I can't explain it other than to say it felt like I had a greased marshmallow on the rear of the bike. Even straight line acceleration it felt like the rear was sawing back & forth a few inches to either side. I could never feel the terrain as the tire passed over it and I guess it's just something that I'm so used to experiencing that not feeling it caused alarms in my head. If you are used to feeling what the rear tire is doing, and then all of a sudden there is no feedback whatsoever, almost like when you are airborne and everything is so smooth, that's how the rear end felt even when it was on the ground, or on roots, or going over rocks, etc;

Hopefully my new tires will be here in the next few days and I can get them installed and ride this weekend to see how they feel. If it's not as good as it was before the switch to the 18" rear rim, I will put the 19" back on, with a new tire, and call it a failed experiment. If that happens I'll have a laced 18" rear rim with a new tire for sale.

What kind of riding are you doing?

I love the MX51 in soft/intermediate, and it does pretty good in the rough hard stuff as well.

110/100-18" would be what you are looking for.

5 hours ago, Kawabuggy said:

I've already ordered a new Dunlop MX32 for the front & rear. The Shinco was rubbing the mud flap at the bottom of the air filter box. Chain is old and worn out as are the sprockets so the rear axle is closer to the rear end of the swing arm, or adjustment hole. Shinco will be gone to the first person that expresses an interest.

The thing I do not like about the Shinco-besides the rubbing-is that the rear end was no longer predictable coming into a hard turn/berm. It's like you would feel the tire giving way-as it rolled on the rim-long before it ever made contact with the berm. Then, it was really difficult to feel when the rear tire was actually in the berm as the tire with it's large sidewall was just too soft & spongy. It never felt to me like the tire was planted, or hooked up. I can't explain it other than to say it felt like I had a greased marshmallow on the rear of the bike. Even straight line acceleration it felt like the rear was sawing back & forth a few inches to either side. I could never feel the terrain as the tire passed over it and I guess it's just something that I'm so used to experiencing that not feeling it caused alarms in my head. If you are used to feeling what the rear tire is doing, and then all of a sudden there is no feedback whatsoever, almost like when you are airborne and everything is so smooth, that's how the rear end felt even when it was on the ground, or on roots, or going over rocks, etc;

Hopefully my new tires will be here in the next few days and I can get them installed and ride this weekend to see how they feel. If it's not as good as it was before the switch to the 18" rear rim, I will put the 19" back on, with a new tire, and call it a failed experiment. If that happens I'll have a laced 18" rear rim with a new tire for sale.

Ya I've been on a 19" rear on my 250R for 7 years IMO and as I posted I don't think the 18" is making a huge difference so far BUT its going to be the right size 18" rear tire and there are lots of options.

New Dunlops came in today. I got the 110/100 MX32 for the rear, and an MX32 for the front as well. My current front is also an MX32 but it has lost 90% of all of it's side knobs. Those that are still there are just barely hanging on. You can pull them off with just a little tug. Both tires are just a little over 1 year old. I can't believe how HARD the old tires have gotten. I already changed the front tire today and handling the old front tire, compared to the new front tire really gave me some perspective. The old front tire was as hard as concrete. The sidewall, the remaining knobs too. I could easily bend the sidewalls on the new tire whereas the old tire was no longer pliable. I guess it was time for a new tire even if the knobs had not been chunking. Being that hard could not have been good for traction.

I will mount the new rear tire tomorrow and maybe get a chance to ride on Sunday. I'm hoping the smaller tire will bring back some of the "feel" to the rear of the bike.

• Like 1