New and learning fast!

When I was a young buck I had a Honda CR 250. I could really rip around on that thing. I went on to ride Harleys for 20 years and now I have an Adventure Bike, Honda XR 650L. It took a few miles wrestling with the weight and high center of gravity. On the highway it feels good between 55-65 mph but anything above 80 mph you will tightly pucker. It becomes a sail. The first time I encountered sand I almost went down. I thought it would float across like my CR 250 used to do. Suddenly I realized the weight differce when my front wheel dug in. I quickly learned you need to stand up and use your legs/knees like a skiier to control the bike. Other then sucking at high speed, being heavy, having a high center of gravity, and not being very nimble off-road,  It does nothing good but everything well. The more I learn to use it the funner it gets. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Butkus said:

When I was a young buck I had a Honda CR 250. I could really rip around on that thing. I went on to ride Harleys for 20 years and now I have an Adventure Bike, Honda XR 650L. It took a few miles wrestling with the weight and high center of gravity. On the highway it feels good between 55-65 mph but anything above 80 mph you will tightly pucker. It becomes a sail. The first time I encountered sand I almost went down. I thought it would float across like my CR 250 used to do. Suddenly I realized the weight differce when my front wheel dug in. I quickly learned you need to stand up and use your legs/knees like a skiier to control the bike. Other then sucking at high speed, being heavy, having a high center of gravity, and not being very nimble off-road,  It does nothing good but everything well. The more I learn to use it the funner it gets. 

That highway sail thing, gets worse the lighter the bike gets, assuming it's not faired. My KLR was worse than my Z, my 690R is worse than the KLR. A 450 is worse of all. Was cruising across OK in 40 MPH winds once on the Z and made a comment about the winds to a Harley rider. He said it must be tough on a "small bike". Was going to respond with an equally smart ass remark about riding lounge chairs when I realized he had a point.

• Like 2

Don't underestimate the "tractor factor". The lighter CR250 would've bounced all over the place in broken/rocky/sandy terrain or been easily pulled off course by ruts. The XR will just plow straight through it. Stand up, grip with your legs and hold it open

• Like 1

Don't underestimate the "tractor factor". The lighter CR250 would've bounced all over the place in broken/rocky/sandy terrain or been easily pulled off course by ruts. The XR will just plow straight through it. Stand up, grip with your legs and hold it open

Great advice because it sure works and makes it fun. I'm sure glad I didn't go with a heavier or smaller adventure bike.The BRP is right for me.

The BRP is a great bike it's such a shame we can't get them down under any more

Why can't you get one over there, Mate?

Honda, in thier wisdom, decided not to sell them here after 09 or 10. Not enough demand apparently. Which is crazy because it's nearest competitor the DR is huge over here so a bit of competition from, in my opinion, a better bike, would be ideal. Very few 2nd hand BRPs come up for sale here and there's a reason for that. It's a good machine and people don't want to let go of them

• Like 1

Honda, in thier wisdom, decided not to sell them here after 09 or 10. Not enough demand apparently. Which is crazy because it's nearest competitor the DR is huge over here so a bit of competition from, in my opinion, a better bike, would be ideal. Very few 2nd hand BRPs come up for sale here and there's a reason for that. It's a good machine and people don't want to let go of them

They are a bastard of a bike. They don't do anything good but they do everything well!
  • Like 1