Sign in to follow this  

Personalization.

What aftermarket parts do you prefer to have on your Yz? Everything from engine parts to throttle systems, pegs, levers, bars, and everything in between.

After 5 years of owning it (a 2010 YZ125 purchased as a new/leftover in 2012)

I've left the engine & exhaust 100% original and only use OEM parts during overhauls.

(except for Boyesen Pro reeds)

A folding clutch lever, Pro Taper EVO 'KTM/Factory Suzuki' bar bend, Moose lock-on grips,

front / rear braided steel brake lines, Twin Air filter, are the only external changes I've done.

Where I've spend most time and effort is getting the suspension dialed in:

spring rates, valving (Race Tech Gold Valves in forks, stock components in shock)

which made very noticeable improvements even at my limited skill / riding level.

Heck I still have the original plastics (still look decent with some Armor-All)

and really 'splurged' during last winter on getting new OEM style shroud graphics.

After 5 years of owning it (a 2010 YZ125 purchased as a new/leftover in 2012)
I've left the engine & exhaust 100% original and only use OEM parts during overhauls.
(except for Boyesen Pro reeds)

A folding clutch lever, Pro Taper EVO 'KTM/Factory Suzuki' bar bend, Moose lock-on grips,
front / rear braided steel brake lines, Twin Air filter, are the only external changes I've done.

Where I've spend most time and effort is getting the suspension dialed in:
spring rates, valving (Race Tech Gold Valves in forks, stock components in shock)
which made very noticeable improvements even at my limited skill / riding level.

Heck I still have the original plastics (still look decent with some Armor-All)
and really 'splurged' during last winter on getting new OEM style shroud graphics.

Suspension is something I still need to work on but in my defense, I haven't had the bike all too long and I also like the way it feels right now but I have also never had aftermarket suspension parts in any bike that I have ever owned (that I know of) or had a bike with the suspension set for me so I guess I don't know what I am missing.

As discussed in another recent topics,

it took me 2 years of experimentation, 2 sets of springs and 8 revalves to get my forks just the way I like them.

(rather than doing engine mods, I've grown to love to read, learn and tinker in suspension)

Getting your suspension dialed in does wonders for your confidence,

I can now concentrated on riding rather than the anticipation of getting beat up if I land flat or,

come in too hard in the braking bumps. No kidding, my skills have likely improved twofold since.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Suspension suspension suspension.. cuz riding faster scores more cool points than a glam bike imo

• Like 1

As discussed in another recent topics,
it took me 2 years of experimentation, 2 sets of springs and 8 revalves to get my forks just the way I like them.
(rather than doing engine mods, I've grown to love to read, learn and tinker in suspension)

Getting your suspension dialed in does wonders for your confidence,
I can now concentrated on riding rather than the anticipation of getting beat up if I land flat or,
come in too hard in the braking bumps. No kidding, my skills have likely improved twofold since.

I definitely have the desire to improve my suspension setup but I have no clue where to start. Like I said it feels good to me right now but that could be just because I don't really know what good suspension feels like.

Suspension suspension suspension.. cuz riding faster scores more cool points than a glam bike imo

I definitely agree with you there. My bike had some bling on it when I got it and the only thing I added to it was some cheap blue folding levers off Amazon. It also came with braded brake lines, fmf fatty/powercore 2, v-force 3 reeds, hinson clutch, and tusk wheels and wide foot pegs. Plus it has mostly 2017 plastics on it.

Everything you can see and do. Load it up in the truck and take it to the track to "talk about it", go to the desert to "talk to your friends about all the cool things". It's to nice to ride, I prefer posing for a photo op. 🙄

After many years I think my 04 suspension works fine for my riding ability. So, now I have changed to WR trans, 15 air box+plastics, Hogkin/Acirbis/polisport lighting, KPR metering block, Suz needle, Vforce 3, ZipTy tank, stock 250, tall seat, axle block bling. rear rotor bling, Scotts stabilizer, RPR triple, etc. etc. etc. 

Did I really need it? Nah.. 

Everything you can see and do. Load it up in the truck and take it to the track to "talk about it", go to the desert to "talk to your friends about all the cool things". It's to nice to ride, I prefer posing for a photo op. 🙄
After many years I think my 04 suspension works fine for my riding ability. So, now I have changed to WR trans, 15 air box+plastics, Hogkin/Acirbis/polisport lighting, KPR metering block, Suz needle, Vforce 3, ZipTy tank, stock 250, tall seat, axle block bling. rear rotor bling, Scotts stabilizer, RPR triple, etc. etc. etc. 

I meant this thread to go more in the direction of comfortably than bling. Like the little things that you have to have on your bike to make you feel light at home and make it ride/feel/handle exactly how you like.

Tassels bro! Matches my man-bun! 

My buddy put tassels on my old 125 a few years back because he said it was a little girls bike haha. I kept them on for a while too.

11 hours ago, Gary YZDOC said:

Forgot my 18" rear wheel and 14/48 gearing as comfort. 

11 hours ago, 2strokebrapp said:

I meant this thread to go more in the direction of comfortably than bling. Like the little things that you have to have on your bike to make you feel light at home and make it ride/feel/handle exactly how you like.

Guess you didn't read my post. No problem, carry on with all you seriousness. Nobody is ever really seriously serious of my seriousness anyway. 

Edited by Gary YZDOC
  • Like 2