Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha power tuner wr450f 2017

I just bought a power tuner for my bike assuming it would work on the stock ecu. I bought it off eBay for 200$ and it's says gytr on it. On the box it said it was compatible for bikes up to 2015. I assumed it would work on the 2017 ecu. But when connected it only says "can't connect to ecu" Do I need to buy a gytr competition ecu for it to work?

SECOND question: I uncorked the air box tea kettle on muffler baffle. My plan was to use the tuner to tune the bike to give it more fuel all the way through the map to composite on the uncorked intake and exhaust. But since my tuner doesn't work is it safe to run my bike on the stock tune uncorked? Any feed back will help. Thanks in advance 1495592631578.jpeg

Running the bike is fine. Go out and buy the comp. ECU. 

OK thanks for the feedback. Just to make sure I understand clearly. The tuner will work on the comp ecu but not the stock correct

I just bought a new 2017 WR450F, comp ECU, and Power Tuner.

GYTR Comp ECU package says fits ’16 WR450F, part# 2GC-E9500-V0.

GYTR Power Tuner package says, among other things, ’12-’15 WR450F w/GYTR Competition Kit ECU.

I installed the comp ECU, pulled the tea kettle and pea shooter, and followed the matching map on the tuner.

In order to get the tuner to work, plug it into the connector on the left front of the frame, leave the tuner powered off, hit the start button and let the engine run for a few seconds, hit the kill switch to shut off the engine, then power up the tuner.  Follow the tuner instructions for navigating the options and you will be all set.  Send the new map form the tuner to the ECU.

From what I read, you must have the comp ECU.

BTW - My bike runs great.

• Like 1

I just bought a new 2017 WR450F, comp ECU, and Power Tuner.
GYTR Comp ECU package says fits ’16 WR450F, part# 2GC-E9500-V0.
GYTR Power Tuner package says, among other things, ’12-’15 WR450F w/GYTR Competition Kit ECU.
I installed the comp ECU, pulled the tea kettle and pea shooter, and followed the matching map on the tuner.
In order to get the tuner to work, plug it into the connector on the left front of the frame, leave the tuner powered off, hit the start button and let the engine run for a few seconds, hit the kill switch to shut off the engine, then power up the tuner.  Follow the tuner instructions for navigating the options and you will be all set.  Send the new map form the tuner to the ECU.
From what I read, you must have the comp ECU.
BTW - My bike runs great.

Thanks for the reply. Yea, the tuner I bought only works on the gytr competition ecu's so I'll I have to pick one up in the near future and tune it up real good. Luckily they have them on ebay for about 85$ brand new. Other wise uncorked bike runs like a champ. Very happy with the 2017 wr450f. First bike I ever bought brand new

Yes you must have the GYTR ECU to access mapping

No, you do not NEED to map it to ride it uncorked with the stock ecu. It will be lean.

No you do not NEED  to remap the GYTR ECU to ride it, it comes with a 'zeros' map, which works fine, but is a little abrupt for beginners.

You can change to a 'softer' map by looking on Yamaha's site for the three recommended map options, or you can make your own maps.

• Like 1

Yes you must have the GYTR ECU to access mapping
No, you do not NEED to map it to ride it uncorked with the stock ecu. It will be lean.
No you do not NEED  to remap the GYTR ECU to ride it, it comes with a 'zeros' map, which works fine, but is a little abrupt for beginners.
You can change to a 'softer' map by looking on Yamaha's site for the three recommended map options, or you can make your own maps.

Hey thanks for the awesome reply and all the great information. Wish I could give double thumps up haha. Any good tips for a new WR450F owner?

7 minutes ago, wheredgo said:

Hey thanks for the awesome reply and all the great information. Wish I could give double thumps up haha. Any good tips for a new WR450F owner?

Buy a pile of oil filters, oil, and a few air filters. Any MA rated oil is fine. Change the oil, filter, and air filter often. 15 hours max or when the air filter is dirty. That could be one ride.

Learn how to PROPERLY clean and oil your air filter, and how to seal it to the air box by over oiling the lip or using grease.

Set you sag. 25/100 is the starting point. If you cannot achieve this number, you have the wrong springs. Get the correct springs. Search 'setting sag'

Buy some water proof high-temp grease, and re-grease the linkage, axels, hubs, and steering stem. They come with cheap grease, and not enough.

Use Pri-g or any similar quality fuel treatment for ethanol contamination. You don't really have a choice with this anymore.

FILTER YOUR GAS before it goes in the tank! Use a tank sock, or a filter funnel. Your fuel pump filter and pump will thank you.

Take off the stock chain and buy a real chain (DID VT-2). The chain and sprockets will then last for years. If you use the stock chain, the chain and sprockets will be worn out in 50 hours....put the stock chain back on when you sell the bike.

Put in some 3mm or thicker tubes. The stock tubes are a flat waiting to happen. You will then also be able to run lower air temps like 8 rear and 12 front.

HANDGUARDS. Real ones.

SKIDPLATE that protects the water pump and frame. I like the AXP stuff.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info. You upgrade list keeps keeps growing haha. I'll make sure to grease everything up this weekend and clean my filter before I go riding. Also, what's your opinion about the tusk stainless steel oil filters? I bought one on sell for 13$. Worth reusing or are they garbage?

1 hour ago, wheredgo said:

Thanks for all the info. You upgrade list keeps keeps growing haha. I'll make sure to grease everything up this weekend and clean my filter before I go riding. Also, what's your opinion about the tusk stainless steel oil filters? I bought one on sell for 13$. Worth reusing or are they garbage?

I prefer paper. The SS are fine, but I prefer the finer filtering of paper, and the lack of getting all messy from cleaning an oil filter.

10 hours ago, wheredgo said:

Thanks for the reply. Yea, the tuner I bought only works on the gytr competition ecu's so I'll I have to pick one up in the near future and tune it up real good. Luckily they have them on ebay for about 85$ brand new. Other wise uncorked bike runs like a champ. Very happy with the 2017 wr450f. First bike I ever bought brand new

If you want to track hours on the motor via the ECU, you better get the comp ECU sooner than later.

• Like 1

Might buy one this weekend before I go riding. My local shop has them in Stock to my surprise

1495670377752.jpeg

Bought a tusk reusable stainless steel filter for my first oil change this weekend as weel. Really impressed with the quality and astetic look.