2016 KTM 500 EXC

Kickstand contactsImage1495598447.635526.jpg the swing arm. Anyone else having this issue? I checked it out for the proper shimming and make sure to hook it through the rubber hold thingy when riding it. Purchased another kickstand as if the original one was bent and the new scrapes as well.

cheap Trailtech ? heat it up and bend it where its touching

Thank You for the reply! Yeah I am able to make clearance by bending it but it is just very unusual that a new bike has this issue as if the frame was jigged incorrectly? My buddy has the same model and his is ok but I was just curious to see if other people with this same model have had this issue.

Look in the picture and You will see it down towards the hinge on the inside (spot with no black). Also, the original kickstand scraped as well and that is why I thought one of two things is happening, either a bent bad jig on the frame or a bent bad Kickstand. So I tried the kickstand first.

Chain will even hit the stock one at times(but after market may be worse, especially doing high speed sweepers. One reason I guess they spec the real narrow chains. I have 27,000 miles on my ktm, still on original kick stand and it is gouged. You aren't running the upper chain guard, so the issue will be worse. That guard  aides keeping chain whip down.

I also used to eat side knobs on the tire , till I went to the tm designs top slider with side bar.

you aren't going to fix anything by bending, and I don't recommend increasing chain tension, they need that 55mm.

its all about controlling the chain whip

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Spud786 said:

Chain will even hit the stock one at times(but after market may be worse, especially doing high speed sweepers. One reason I guess they spec the real narrow chains. I have 27,000 miles on my ktm, still on original kick stand and it is gouged. You aren't running the upper chain guard, so the issue will be worse. That guard  aides keeping chain whip down.

I also used to eat side knobs on the tire , till I went to the tm designs top slider with side bar.

you aren't going to fix anything by bending, and I don't recommend increasing chain tension, they need that 55mm.

its all about controlling the chain whip

Is this chain whip a performance issue because I've never seen a Factory Racing bike or any aftermarket parts?

3 hours ago, desertdweller said:

Is this chain whip a performance issue because I've never seen a Factory Racing bike or any aftermarket parts?

(Chain whip) , Whip is a VERB ,  due to the slack required by ktm, chain whip eats on stuff , like tires, frames and kick stands, if they are in the way. It becomes more apparent into high speed sweepers ect (where you let off the gas and the top of the chain gets a big BOW in it and stretches over and grinds on something, Ive eaten stuff on both sides of the chain.    Controlling it, is as mentioned, a top slider with a side bar, and the chain guard helps too, I find that adequate on the newer ktms.   Super motos have some innovative products, of different designs to aide also.

Great points.  I doubt the bikes with linkage have this issue as bad.  The direct mount rear shock requires the chain to be looser (unloaded) than most are used to.  My 05 EXC 400 was this way.  Someone told me once that if your Japanese bike buddies (linkage mounted rear shock) tell you your chain is loose, it is just right.

Edited by Silverbird

On 5/24/2017 at 5:23 PM, Spud786 said:

...    Controlling it, is as mentioned, a top slider with a side bar, and the chain guard helps too, I find that adequate on the newer ktms.   ...

What top slider with a bar do you run?

I've chewed thru both sides of my factory chain guard.  To call it a guard, is almost laughable...

3 hours ago, cadman_ks said:

What top slider with a bar do you run?

I've chewed thru both sides of my factory chain guard.  To call it a guard, is almost laughable...

oem chain guard for me lasted about 3,000 miles,  I went to the $40 tm designs, and it cracked a month later. They recommended upgrading to the $80 model and just pay the differnce, that the pro's use, and said it should last near a life time, 25,000 miles later it still going strong,  so yeah its a life time item, also self lubricating rubber. So the $80 tm designs top slider with side bar.   the stock chain guards are only like $10 or so, it helps control the chain as does the side bar, together they last a long time, Im only on my second chain guard. Stock chain guard has to be trimmed alittle, cause the tm designs top slider is slightly longer.

man this was hard as heck to find

http://tmdesignworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_37_322&products_id=995

Edited by Spud786

Here's a pic , installed

Before this set up, I was eating all side knobs on rear tire   , I still touch the kick stand at times.

IMG_0564.jpg

Also you have to ditch the wood screw for the oem chain guard and just use large tie wraps, they hold fine.