2002 KX250 Street

After years and years of putting off lighting the KX, my hand was sort of forced.  The result.

IMG_0533.JPG.283369ee7552c882ef42b56aee3b2f5d.JPGIMG_0538.JPG.78201cab1987bbdcf67279d35499451f.JPGIMG_0541.JPG.dcc409db4507310e52085719183eff6d.JPGIMG_0542.JPG.4f6a45269f9a91fe615c4ff4ffaf5081.JPG

Still have a few things to button up.  

Jetting is off for summer heat.   

Need to finish up the tail lamp as the switch only has High/Low out.  With the taillight hooked up to both, it makes the headlight run both lamps.  Right now I only have it hooked to the high beam.  Waiting on some diodes.  Went round and round with the trail tech nimh 3700mah battery.   Ended up finding a 2900mah sealed lead acid battery that sort of fits in the air box and works way better.  The horn is way louder than our Civic's.

Brake light hooked to both front and rear.  Works well.

Rear 18" wheel is not here yet.  Going to stick some cheap K270's to play around the street for the next few months until I get the cage back from my kid when he heads back to college in August. 

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

Edited by quailchaser
  • Like 2

Looks great!  I bet a KX would be pretty fun on the street for shorter rides to and from the trail or just to run errands!  Any chance you could post a pic or two of the battery mounting area and wiring?  Thanks.

Ben

14 hours ago, VTMTcowboy said:

Looks great!  I bet a KX would be pretty fun on the street for shorter rides to and from the trail or just to run errands!  Any chance you could post a pic or two of the battery mounting area and wiring?  Thanks.

Ben

I can do that.   I've had a spare electrical system (computer, wire loom and reg/rec) for years.   There is a "power" leg on the oem stator.  It's 14.2 V @ 25W to run the powerjet.  Basically I took the two wires out of the the regulator/rectifier that runs the powerjet.

That's the main reason I waited forever.  25W is not enough to run a real head light.  Led tail lights have been good for awhile, but the headlights have been far behind. The Polysport headlight is 3W led and the tail light is less than 1W led.  

IMG_0549.JPG.af09a7be4cf5ee6ba22b8b68adfb81d3.JPGIMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

Had the battery temporarily zip tied under the side number plate with the top facing the plastic rear fender.  It was not optimal.  It fits but just barely.  I need to figure a better mount.  I liked the size of the nimh pack from trail tech, but cost was an issue.  This battery was $22 from batteries plus.  nimh battery pack in a similar mah is $70ish built.  Plus I would need a $20 nimh battery pack charger.  I can charge this one with any regular car 12v charger at 2amps.  

When I get the diodes in and wired, the battery mount solid, Ill do a follow up on the steps and parts involved. 

Edited by quailchaser
images

15 hours ago, kxrob said:

I like the cup holder 

I custom ordered that.  You don't want to know the cost.:rolleyes:

Added a schottky diode on the power leg from the reg/rect.  Mounted the battery...sort of.  I need to make an angled spacer.  Added a plug to hook to the charger without having to pull the seat and side number plate.  Need two more doides for the tail light legs.  Still no rim.

IMG_1737.JPG

IMG_1746.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

13 hours ago, ohgood said:

Cool. Are you going to sumo it ?

Nah.  Just a commuter couple of miles or so to work. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the pictures of the wiring!  That bike is going to be a blast.  Have fun.

Ben

Here's the list.  Will have more photo's when the tires and rim come in.

What I did was take a feed off of the regulator/rectifier out lines.  I ran those two feeds to the Airbox to charge the battery and run the lights if the battery were removed or dead.  I put a diode in the hot line to prevent the battery power flowing to the rectifier/regulator/stator. Had to put two diodes in the tail lamp circuit as discussed in a previous post.  

• 3 x Fairchild Schottky Diode SB560 $5 for a 5 pack
  • Trail Tech Battery $58.00  returned -$58.00
  • Duracell 12V – 2.9Ah AGM battery $22
  • Tusk Compact Control Switch With Headlight Options $30                                     
  • Tusk L.E.D. TailLight/Brake Light Under Fender $30                                               
  • 2 x Tusk Hydraulic Brake Switch Nissin Brakes $30                                                                                                           
  • Engine Kill Switch - 2002 KAWASAKI KX250 $9                                                                                                              
  • Universal Horn $9                                                                                                                                                    
  • Left Hand Dual Sport Mirror $9
  • Assortment of 3.9mm Japanese Motorcycle Bullet Connectors $12
  • Polisport HMX LED Headlight $110  everywhere but found for $67
  • 125' AUTOMOTIVE WIRE 18 AWG GXL STRANDED 5 COLORS STRIPED $15
  • Harbor Freight Marine Heat shrink $6
  • Harbor Freight Electric Tape $2
  • Harbor Freight Heat shrink butt connector  $9

Total for Home made street kit ~ $260 and a crap ton of wiring time.:rolleyes:

Could have added led turn signals for around $15 more.

About $700 more in tires and 18" rim coming sometime in June, but those are more preference and maintenance.  

• Warp9 18” rear wheel $425                                                                      
  • JT 48 tooth rear sprocket $30 Could have saved this money as it was not even close to high enough 
  • JT 45 tooth rear sprocket $35
  • Sprocket Bolts $10.00
  • Kenda K270 Tires 18” rear $60
  • Kenda K270 21” frt $45
  • Kenda HD tubes 18” $20
  • Kenda HD tubes 21”$20
  • 2 Rim Locks and 2 rim strips $21

Edited by quailchaser

Thanks for the details quailchaser!  Keep the updates rolling, along with pictures of course.  Take care.

Ben