New Member Check-In + Misc. Questions

What's up DRzed owners!

New member checking in from Southern California (Huntington Beach) [Formally Northern Cali] !!

Just got my first [2015] DRZ400SM and F&$@ing love it already. I've had many dirt bikes, but I finally pulled the trigger and picked up my dream bike (I guess I have low standards?)!

I just started wrenching on her and I'll be honest - I'm kinda a noobie when it comes to working on bikes, but I've worked on cars as long as I could remember. 

She's damn near bone stock so here are my short term plans for her:

- MRD SSW

- 3x3 mod with JD Jet Kit

Here's all my questions to get this out of the way... Sorry if these are common, but hey, might as well get the flaming from you guys now (;

1. With the re-jetting - what color needle and main jet should I use? Which ones do you use (for those who live in SoCal)? Average temperature around these parts is 68°F but can spike to the high 90°s. Average humidity is 80.27%. Elevation is damn near sea level at 97ft. Best tutorial video out there? 

Anyone in SoCal who'd be down to help me out? Of course lunch is one me (:

2. I've been poking around the TT shop, more specifically the popular DRZ items. For everything the compatible years usually don't go above 2006... will all of these still fit my 2015 model? (More specifically the Acerbis black plastics, and the computer kits)

3. What throttle tube do you guys use? My damn wrist hurts from the freeway already lol 

4. Best seat? My gooch hurts so bad as well from the stock one.... 

5. Any place where I can get screws that I'm missing? Lost the screws that go on the back of the seat, and the screw that holds the front brake line to the front plastics on the fork.

6. Any other add-ons I should do for my baby? All suggestions/tips are greatly appreciated!!

Anyways, if you guys could take the time out of your day to help me, that would be awesome! Ta-ta for now... but first, admire her in all her beauty!

A470CD93-1C6C-4503-8EAD-EEA11F3B0858.jpg

IMG_2443.JPG

Edited by Jordan Crisologo

1. JD Jetting kits come with detailing instructions that will tell you which jets to use for your weather/elevation and modifications.

2. The bike is relatively unchanged. The only change I'm aware of is the SM got axle sliders and an 1.125" handlebar in 07.

The plastic kits will require you to cut squares out of the rear fender so it will fit the S subframe. It's not difficult and that area is hidden once on the bike. If you look closely at your stock fender, you will see it was trimmed from the factory.

3 & 4. I can't help you there. I like the stock part.

5. Fastenal or most hardware/home improvement store have bolts that will work. I prefer the stock style flange bolts. Motosport.com is were I order most of my OEM or aftermarket parts. You can either replace the bolts individually or they sell oem style universal bolt kits that have a variety of hardware.

6. I would put a good set of "bark buster" style hand guards on it. They not only protect your hands but do an excellent job of protecting the bike if you drop it.

• Like 2

i admire its beauty, but even little things like changing the mirrors, fender and especially seat makes them look like a hacked up turd to me .. the way i look at it is people take off factory parts that look awesome if kept up to someone that looks at drz's all the time and owns one, and they replace them with imitation bullcrap thats worth only a fraction of the money, but its all in good fun i guess ... you get used to a bike far as seat, and arms getting tired ect, i can ride mine all day ... but yeah, thats my opinion, a beautiful bike is on its way to becoming a hacked up turd  ... i suggest keeping ALL the stock pieces someplace safe where they wont get beat up ..

-jd jet kit comes with comprehensive recommendations

-getting all parts including screws from a oem parts house like ron ayers keeps a bike 'right' ... using ace hardware on a nice bike is called 'jerry rigging' ..

-bark busters, racks, luggage, additional lighting and things like that which dont modify the base bike or swap oem parts for chinese garbage are cool to me ..

• Like 1

TT case savers, Everyone loves the Seat Concepts seat. I can't weigh in as I like the seat on mine.  The JD kit is so easy to do compared to just getting the carb in and out.  Look into some wider foot pegs. You WILL thank me when you do.  Late model RM pegs (125 or 250) are a direct fit and nearly twice as wide. 

• Like 1

Most local mx shops will usually stock japanese common screw packs that feature common head styles,screw pitches and lengths in a convenient kit.You can find them at on-line places too.

• Like 1