Bent pipe question & left case cover destruction..

Little report on the 2017 250RR.  Slowly starting to get use to the bike and am beginning to really like it.  I have 3 rides on it now.  On my last ride I had a 4th gear get off that bent my pipe back around the frame a touch (worst fall i have had on a bike).  When getting home I went and picked up my new Hyde skid plate and proceeded to install it.  I noticed that because the pipe is bent it slightly it rests against the new skid plate.  You can see that dent were the frame pushed the pipe in.  I tried bending the pipe back out a touch but didn't have much look on the thick Gnarly pipe (need an extra hand).  I have the stock pipe i can throw back on for now but was curious what you guys think if i was to run the Gnarly like this.. Everything else lines up good.  Im just curious if the heat from the pipe touching the Hyde plate will be an issue.  The plate is some sort of plastic material.  And on there site it says the material is heat resistant, even to 4 stroke headers. 

Also, right after this wreck I went through a rock garden and destroyed the left side case!  Stock skid plate buckled in and couldn't save me.  Just thought i would show you guys this as i was amazed by the crack!     

2017-05-23.jpg

2017-05-21.jpg

Edited by NW_drZ
  • Like 2

I'd remove and inspect ignition ASAP as the stator is mounted to the inside of the cover like a 4stroke.  Alignment is critical so I'd say you need a cover.  I've had Hyde combos, better than CF pipe guards, but they flex and the pipe can still get tweaked, are a bitch to R&R, and eventually split under the footpeg mount areas from being pinched.  Far better for rock use is an alloy combo like the Force, you can forget about pipe (and case) problems.  Easier to R&R and easier to fit with foam.  Whats wrong with the stock pipe?  I think the bike makes excellent all around power and plenty of low end with it, without signing off early like gnarlys tend to do. 

Edited by GP

on the pipe-to-guard interference, same issue here, it will work fine but the vibration/noise will drive you nuts. it did to me at least. like Black-swan, i just dented the pipe a bit with a small hammer to clear the skid. all good until the next crunch. the pipe didn't 'melt' the skid, i have a P3 poly, but the vibes/movement + grime started sanding the plate away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GP said:

I'd remove and inspect ignition ASAP as the stator is mounted to the inside of the cover like a 4stroke.  Alignment is critical so I'd say you need a cover.  I've had Hyde combos, better than CF pipe guards, but they flex and the pipe can still get tweaked, are a bitch to R&R, and eventually split under the footpeg mount areas from being pinched.  Far better for rock use is an alloy combo like the Force, you can forget about pipe (and case) problems.  Easier to R&R and easier to fit with foam.  Whats wrong with the stock pipe?  I think the bike makes excellent all around power and plenty of low end with it, without signing off early like gnarlys tend to do. 

I actually haven't tried the stock pipe.  I put the gnarly on right when I got the bike.  I have no problem trying the stocker out!  Was just more curious about my current situation. 

1 hour ago, NW_drZ said:

I actually haven't tried the stock pipe.  I put the gnarly on right when I got the bike.  I have no problem trying the stocker out!  Was just more curious about my current situation. 

Stock pipe is great, forget the gnarly.  Don't run it bent if the spigot is cocked in the cyl flange.  Get a good combo guard for the stocker you have and be done.  I'm running my original '13 pipe !

• Like 1