Sign in to follow this  

dentedframe Bought Drz400sm with dented frame, advise needed

I bought an 2008 SM with 3500 miles for 3700 in what i thought was mint condition(so did owner)and a few days later i was changing the oil and found a nasty dent in the frame that was hidden by skid plate and mud. I would have noticed it if it not had been for the downpour that came in with the bike (deliveried from 3hr away). The seller of the bike had no idea it was there and has offered to buy it back for 3900 (extra for parts and my title fees). My question is do i keep it, ride it and when i pay it off get a frame or sell it back and get a higher mile bike? It rides straight and runs great otherwise. The pics are the straight side and bent side, look at motor mount as well

20170515_173900.jpg

20170515_173857.jpg

20170519_160103.jpg

20170519_160651.jpg

Edited by M Blake Jr

23 minutes ago, M Blake Jr said:

I bought an 2008 SM with 3500 miles for 3700 in what i thought was mint condition(so did owner)and a few days later i was changing the oil and found a nasty dent in the frame that was hidden by skid plate and mud. I would have noticed it if it not had been for the downpour that came in with the bike (deliveried from 3hr away). The seller of the bike had no idea it was there and has offered to buy it back for 3900 (extra for parts and my title fees). My question is do i keep it, ride it and when i pay it off get a frame or sell it back and get a higher mile bike? It rides straight and runs great otherwise. The pics are the straight side and bent side, look at motor mount as well

20170515_173900.jpg

I'd sure keep an eye on that crease in the bottom right of this pic.

• Like 1

thats not a good pic but i think it will be fine .. what i would try to do is say 'hey, what about knocking about 3-400 off for me so i can get it fixed' .. i dont think it will need it though if its just a crease and the frame isnt pulled out of alignment on either side of it .. what your not going to want to do is plan on getting a new frame - that would be expensive even used .. get some better pics and post them if you can ..

Edited by cowpie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cowpie said:

thats not a good pic but i think it will be fine .. what i would try to do is say 'hey, what about knocking about 3-400 off for me so i can get it fixed' .. i dont think it will need it though if its just a crease and the frame isnt pulled out of alignment on either side of it .. what your not going to want to do is plan on getting a new frame - that would be expensive even used .. get some better pics and post them if you can ..

Yea i asked him that, he said "i would rather buy it back." That pic shows best definition and shows all of the damage. As u can see the engine mount took a beating. He said he rode it for 600 miles b4 he sold it to me riding wheelies and nothing happend so he doesnt care and would love to have it back (he needed money to move his financials around). Ive put 200 miles on bike and it rins and rides like new one would. My question is should i sell it back and buy a higher mile bike or keep it and throw a frame at it?

10 minutes ago, cowpie said:

received_1513444178697577.jpeg

• Like 1

yeah, looks like whatever it was got the skid plate to .. i think that will be fine and wont cause any problems, but i'd double check the engine mounting points good and make positive sure theres no other damage- cracks or bent stuff around motor mounts top and bottom ..if its all good i would try to get your seller to refund you a couple of bills though, ultimately i'd probably keep it myself even if he dicked you out of a partial refund .. i'd replace the skid plate and tape off and get some paint on any bare metal so the frame doesnt start to rust .. the casing little fractures look normal to me ..

Edited by cowpie
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, M Blake Jr said:

Yea i asked him that, he said "i would rather buy it back." That pic shows best definition and shows all of the damage. As u can see the engine mount took a beating. He said he rode it for 600 miles b4 he sold it to me riding wheelies and nothing happend so he doesnt care and would love to have it back (he needed money to move his financials around). Ive put 200 miles on bike and it rins and rides like new one would. My question is should i sell it back and buy a higher mile bike or keep it and throw a frame at it?

If you like it,  I would just keep it and if you came across another frame pick it up.   That part of the frame is not subjected to much of the stress that can cause a problem like it could in some other areas.  Nice rig otherwise.  Really nice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

The frame is no worse than half of the used MX bikes on the market.

These marks are superficial from the casting process. Make sure you have the o ring that goes behind the oil filter.

I put all new orings in, thanks

• Like 1

I used to have a one owner 1991 cr250r with the frame crushed on one side underneath... the tube was probably crushed 40% in its worst hit area. It made no difference, I raced it jumped it and it was an awesome bike. Murphy law, you buy a mint one or change the frame & it gets a dent anyway after fixing it. 

Pictures attached winning 250 open class summer series and jumping with a much worse dent in the frame than you have mate!

35796_131060413600355_6153287_n.jpg

318680_259297444109984_764729591_n.jpg

• Like 5

In your grassy pic it sure looks like someone has welded cracks likely the guy who sold it to the previous owner. Pull the skid plate was the crap out of it and reinspect it. Flat bottom rails are ok but stress cracks at joints I would punt

• Like 1

I am a certified welder  (smaw) and all welds on this bike are factory and has no "extra" layers of paint

A person could always make a plate that bridges the dent and shaped to fit nicely over the tube to completely cover it and have it welded along the sides , not across the ends to keep the weld from going across the tube , it would be just as a reinforcement to ease the mind rather than something that's absolutely needed.

The DRZ has a very strong frame, so I'd ride it and forget about it....after I had a good look at the scope of the damage and applied a little paint

39 minutes ago, shuswap1 said:

The DRZ has a very strong frame, so I'd ride it and forget about it....after I had a good look at the scope of the damage and applied a little paint

As the saying goes, paint hides all sins.

2 hours ago, jjktmrider said:

A person could always make a plate that bridges the dent and shaped to fit nicely over the tube to completely cover it and have it welded along the sides , not across the ends to keep the weld from going across the tube , it would be just as a reinforcement to ease the mind rather than something that's absolutely needed.

Yes i thought of this but have no tig and no experience with chromoly other than what ive read